Keto is getting scary for me.

MrsNonsense
MrsNonsense Posts: 55 Member
I'm on week 3 of Keto, as some of you know, I've been experiencing some muscle fatigue lately, tried taking magnesium supplements but would feel like crap after taking them.
I saw my doctor today and she told me to start on a multivitamin and a calcium pill, so I did. She ordered some tests to see where I'm at with my minerals.
I've been experiencing heart palpitations on an off this last week, but today it's just scary.
I've been having palpitations for a few hours now and some muscle twitching on my right side. I'm trying to keep calm but I really don't like this and I think this is it for me.
I don't want to quit Keto because I've never felt better but heart palpitations for hours + twitching is not fun.
I'm pretty sad right now, as I finally feel good and found a diet I can stick to, I think I'm going to try by upping my carbs for a while.
I'm pretty clueless right now.

Anyway, wanted to thank everyone for taking the time to answer my million questions, and I hope to be back around soon!

Replies

• Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Not sure what you mean by mineral test - did your doctor check your electrolytes in your blood? Should be a pretty simple test to figure out if you are too low or too high in something.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    I'm no Doctor but this could be completely unrelated to your diet. Visit your Doctor. Today.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    The heart palpitations and twitching sound like what happens to me when my potassium is WAY too low. Go to the Doctor, as that can be quite dangerous. Having experienced what I have with that problem, I would go to the ER, but I am not a Dr, and you know how you feel better than I do.
  • MrsNonsense
    I saw my doctor today, she told me not to take potassium supplements, but go on vitamins and calcium supplement. She told me if my tests came back alright, she wouldn't be calling me. If something's wrong, I should probably be hearing from her tomorrow. I've had two or three EKG done in the last year and everything was normal. I've never had any heart palpitations until a few weeks after starting keto.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    So pleased to hear you saw her yesterday. I have no advice other than to take good care of yourself which appears to be what you are doing. I would still try potassium and magnesium. <3
  • jennmac415
    jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
    Please don't think I am trying to trivialize what you are feeling and I am NO WAY a Dr., but when I get severely dehydrated I get heart palpitations and twitchy. Maybe a combination of extremely low carbs and not drinking enough.... But PLEASE follow up with your Dr. I hope you get to the bottom if it soon, scary to feel that way.
  • MrsNonsense
    I'm going to wait for her call and see what she says, she specifically told me not to take potassium, why? I don't know. I'm going to try upping my carbs and see how I feel. thank you all for your messages!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    I'm going to wait for her call and see what she says, she specifically told me not to take potassium, why? I don't know. I'm going to try upping my carbs and see how I feel. thank you all for your messages!

Are you taking any kind of diuretic? Does she understand how keto works? Both possible reasons.
  • MrsNonsense
    No, I'm not. I have one cup of coffee in the morning and that's it. Other than that, my foods for the day.
    I think she knows Keto because she asked me if I've heard about (insert name of the condition here). I don't remember exactly what she called it, I've never heard about it before. But asked me if my urine was ok and if my legs hurt because this condition was pretty serious and the two major symptoms were legs pain and weird urine (my words, I don't remember exactly how she described it).
    She never asked me what's keto, she knows I've been staying under 20mg and sent me on my way to the lab to get a urine sample and test for about 5 different things, including magnesium and gluten allergy.
  • MrsNonsense
    I drank a cup of Swiss miss chocolate milk, laid down and I'm feeling better. Headache now, but the palpitations are not so strong anymore. *sigh*
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    The reason she said not to take them is that too much potassium can be as dangerous as too little. She may have asked you about your urine and such because some people equate keto with very high protein, which can be hard on the kidneys which can cause too much potassium which is...see where I am going here? LOL. If you are feeling better then that's good and wait for the results. If not, go to the ER, electrolyte imbalances and dehydration are not to be messed with.
  • MrsNonsense
    The palpitations are still there, just not as strong as before. I drank a cup of chocolate milk (400mg of potassium in it) and I got a headache, but I feel a tad better. I feel like if I was about to get a nasty cold. If the palpitations are not gone by tomorrow, I'll go to the ER. I don't think I should go right now, but hell, I don't know anything anymore.
  • DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    I'm sorry youre not feeling well, but also glad you went and saw the doctor today. Keep hydrated and maybe drink some soup or something similar until the symptoms subside and you hear from the doctor. Sending positive, healing thoughts your way!
  • MrsNonsense
    Ugh. I feel better when I'm lying down, but I can feel the palpitations if I get up and walk around. Sigh.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    @MrsNonsense Any updates? I'm finally catching up, and this really has me worried!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Could you be in carb withdrawal? My first month brought some strange things that I put off to going off carbs cold turkey six months ago. There is no way I want to go back to way I was addicted to for 40 years.

Heart concerns are to be taken seriously. Do you know your vitamin D level?