Active in April

Options

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,897 Member
    Options
    Karrie, that is awesome! So impressed with how committed you've been to your fitness goals. You're going to be in great shape by the time of your marathon.

I was a grump today, not enough sleep last night and then lost about an hour and a half of productive time fixing computer problems this afternoon. I'm off to bed.
  • whats_her_name
    whats_her_name Posts: 716 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks, Mihani. I'm feeling pretty good this week (although this morning's workout really kicked my butt...) I can't believe that I've been going to that class for 6 weeks already. It's crazy. But I can definitely feel a difference, even if I can't see one in the mirror yet (but maybe my before/after pictures will tell a different story).

I am doing a 2nd round until the 2nd week of June, but I'm taking the summer off from this class because I'd miss too many classes (out at the cabin too much).

Yesterday I found another fitness challenge for the summer. It's called TerraFit and it's a 12-week challenge. A friend from work just finished her 12 weeks. She was already thin and fit, and she STILL lost 4 inches around her waist. She was showing me some of the exercises, and they look HARD!!

There is a TerraFit DVD for exercise, and that's what I'll be doing. The challenge is $25 and the DVDs are somewhere around the order of $75 or $80, so all-told, a first round would cost someone about $100. My fitness class is $300 for 8 weeks. So it's definitely worth it for me to try it out and see how it goes!! If it's really challenging, I might do a 2nd challenge (which would only cost $25, 'cuz I'd already have the DVDs).

My friend at work is actually a TerraFit coach now, and I've asked if I could be on her team - if anyone else wants to play along, let me know and you can be on my team too!! :smiley:

Today was shoulder and back day and I'm really having a hard time reaching my arms up or out for anything.

I'm going to try another run tomorrow morning, but this time I'm going to scale it back - I'm only going to shoot for 3km nonstop, followed by a 3km walk back home. I'll try to push further on Sunday.

Now I just REALLY need to focus on healthy eating and not eating so many darn carbs.

B: banana, pear, orange
    L: black bean zucchini quinoa quesadilla
    D : big salad & green smoothie
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi guys. Blech I am super sick again. I went the whole winter with nothing, and then had a baby cold a couple weeks ago, and then suddenly on Monday night, I feel like I got hit by a truck! I stayed home yesterday and slept for most of the day; today is much better though, so that's good. It's pouring here and bed sounds lovely though!

So I had a double workout Monday, which was good because I had none yesterday and will not do one today since I can't breathe. Hopefully tomorrow.

Karrie you are blowing us all away with your dedication! You are having an awesome Active April! Woohoo! Such a good feeling. Also, I found when I was running before that my running game was definitely improved once I started with strength training too!!

Mihani, I hope today is a more cheery day! (Where is sloth to teach me how to do "cheerful" emoticons?!?) Also the Spicy Thai Braised Kale was surprisingly delicious!! It had a nice salty flavour (no salt but maybe because of the tomato paste?) and was just really yummy and easy! Does anyone else hate prepping kale though? Seems to take forever lol.

Sabine, going to save that recipe, thanks!
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Sorry to hear you're sick, Lia - get better soon!!

Double workout - good for you!!!! I haven't doubled-up yet. But I guess I'm going to have to start real soon. I'll have to run every day whether it's a strength day or not... (oh dear!!)

Yeah - where is sloth!?!?!?! I miss his fun comments and gifs. :smiley:
  • Mihani
    Options
    If I mention Sloth too maybe he will appear. Like saying Beetlejuice 3 times.

Lia, I have some kale, I think I will try that recipe this weekend. I hope you are feeling better!

Once again I am changing things up. I'm finding that eating during the day just ends up making me feel tired and then I want to eat more. For the past two days I've made a double batch of a basic smoothie (greens, chia and flax seeds, frozen fruit, plant protein powder, water). I have half for breakfast and take half to work with me. By lunchtime it is really thick from the chia seeds and really fills me up. I've given myself permission to have unlimited fruit during the day if I want it, so I had an apple and some strawberries after my smoothie at lunchtime. Dinner I figure can be whatever I want as long as it is ETL, or ETL-ish. Tonight I had some leftover soup that I pulled from the freezer last night, a big salad, and a couple stalks of celery with almond butter. I feel like this routine will be sustainable for me, so I'm going to give it a fair trial of a couple weeks before deciding whether or not it works. If I am hungry later I will have a grapefruit.

Karrie, the challenge sounds like fun, and you're already off to a great start. I'd give it a try but my vet bill is continuing to grow and now the IRS wants money from me so my budget is tight tight for a bit. I'm with you on those starchy carbs. I hope my new plan will reset my cravings again. Once I get through a few days without them I'm usually fine.

I am sooooo tired, going to go take a nap I think. We had awful thunderstorms last night and the young dog was a nervous wreck so he didn't let me sleep much.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Sloth, Sloth, SLOTH!! ... (did it work??)

I went for a run last night. Just a short 3km, followed by a 3km walk back home. As before, I managed to do the whole distance nonstop, although I wasn't quite in the zone like I was earlier in the week. It was a bit more of a struggle to keep myself going...

I almost didn't go at all, because today was leg day, and I knew I'd probably suffer for my run. But I did it anyway...

And I wasn't wrong. I did suffer. We did 140 squats, some other leg stuff and then 100 lunges for a finisher. Box jumps were part of the other stuff, and I thought the set was to do 20 each time, but it was actually only 10 each time, and I only figured that out in the middle of the 3rd set, so I ended up doing 20 extra box jumps just for sh!ts and giggles... The 100-lunge finisher really did me in, though. First of all, my core strength obviously sucks. Everyone else holds dumbbells. But if I try to, I can't stand back up. So I go without. And on my left leg, I had to start swinging my arms for momentum to help me get back up. AND I was the last one there. Everyone else was done and gone. And I still had 27 to go. And now I had the instructor's undivided attention and an audience of the next class coming in. I did 14 of my lunges and I was really pushing. For whatever reason, I just totally lost it at that point and started bawling. I couldn't hold it back. I was crying uncontrollably as I finished the last 13 lunges. I tried to avoid looking at anyone and I was trying to control my breathing so I could calm down. I felt like such a loser... But I finished.

I'm having trouble on stairs now. Especially down. But whatever. Maybe it'll be 3 weeks until the next time I cry...??

Half marathon is in 51 days. There's no time to sit around and feel sorry for myself. I'm gonna hafta get out there again tomorrow and see if I can eek out another 3km... Wish me luck.
  • liapr
    Options
    Wow Karrie, that sounds so intense. So sorry you had that experience. If I were you, I would have skipped the last ones so AMAZING for you that you even stuck it out, despite the stress!!! No wonder you cried, that's a lot physically and mentally. I foresee you going down stairs on your bum for the weekend, lol. If nothing else, you are inspiring the cr*p out of us here!! Seriously. I'm feeling like my T25 is maybe baby exercise lol.

I am feeling better. Not 100% and still sniffles, but I made myself try a workout. The good news is that I didn't notice my breathing at all! The bad news was because I did it after my bean burrito dinner and oMG was that a bad idea... My stomach was not happy that I was jumping around with all of that in me lol. But I did it.

I am feeling pretty good and dedicated today.

Speaking of inspiring, Mihani you are totally motivating me with all your food dedication!!! Wow. So impressed. I like the smoothie idea too. I have been having smoothies for most breakfasts, but I STILL don't have a green smoothie recipe that I really love yet.

Yesterday I blended frozen mango, a navel orange, and hemp seeds and poured it over cut up strawberries and blueberries, like a fruit cereal! It was actually so delicious! No greens, but I loved it (I never deviate from recipes either lol). Happy Friday guys!!
  • whats_her_name
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks for the kind words, Lia. That's so nice of you to say that... I'm all weepy today - I can't stop!! :'(

Now if only I could get Mihani's food dediciation - I'd be set!! :)
  • liapr
    Options
    Totally understand. I cried three different times on Wednesday for various (mostly) insignificant reasons, haha. Maybe it's one of those weeks! I'm happy it's Friday :)
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    Huh.... :smirk: I just checked in, to try to catch up a bit.... and find my name in multiple posts. It's nice to be missed. I just don't really have anything to contribute. I'm so far off the ETL wagon, I don't even know which direction it's headed in, anymore. blog-image.jpg

• Mihani
    Options
    Hey it worked! Hiya Sloth.

I am going to be working all weekend again, but I gotta say, this smoothie idea has really simplified my life. I am feeling good after 3 days.

Karrie, I'm with Lia. You rock finishing your workout despite your breakdown. That is Commitment with a Capital "C"!

Lia, glad you are feeling better. I know that feeling working out too soon after a big meal. Ugh! You'd think we'd learn.
  • liapr
    Options
    It's okay Sloth, I think all of us feel like that.... but you are missed. Like we always say, you don't have to be ETL to hang out here. Just wondering how things are going in your neck of the woods (and I can't do GIFs!)
  • Mihani
    Options
    Okay day, was more hungry than the past few days. Probably because it is quieter at the office on Saturdays. Just a theory. But, I ran to the store and got a container of carrot and celery sticks and a bag of grapes and some almonds. I ate some of the veggies and grapes, had my smoothie, and did not succumb to the call of the snack cabinet. Yay! Dinner was tofu scramble and some hash browns (the frozen kind, sauteed in water in a cast iron skillet so no oil needed). I totally ate the whole batch of scramble. It's so low calorie I don't feel a bit bad about that. And pineapple for dessert.

Back to the office again tomorrow. Today just wasn't as productive as I hoped so I am going to try to get a running start tomorrow morning and power through as much as I possibly can. I think the smoothie idea is going to work for me. I'm glad something is finally working for me lol.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    Yay Mihani!! Way to rock the munchies - I REALLY have to take a page outta your book!!

What a weekend. I keep surprising myself! I am limping around the house - I am SO stiff. But somehow I manage to pound out a 3km run, followed by a 3km walk yesterday (6km total). I wasn't sure I was going to be able to do it. But it really wasn't as tough as I thought it would be.

Then today is supposed to be long run day. So I went out for a run, hoping to at least meet my distance from last Sunday (5.5km nonstop). My target was going to be 7km... I can't say that I felt "good", but I certainly felt strong enough to keep going, so I managed to do a nonstop run of 8km+ - I was going to stop right at the 8km, mark, but the GPS on my Zombies, Run! app said that I had done 4.86 miles, so I kept going until it said 5.0 miles. WOW!! I truly didn't think I would be able to do that today at all... I walked back 3km, for a total distance of 11km today (or 7 miles)

I feel better today - not weepy anymore. I wish I wasn't quite as stiff and sore, but I'm pleased with my progress and with my calorie burn for the day. :smiley:

Good to see you sloth - and I totally relate to cheat day turning into cheat week and then cheat month; well - you get the idea...

I really gotta get some veggies prepped and bagged so that I have quick, easy, healthy options for meals & snacks. But right now I really gotta go soak in the tub.

Have a great evening everyone!!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Wow Karrie! You continue to amaze me.

A good day today as far as diet, just not a good day in the office. Computer issues sucked up a few hours of my time, which sucks up time that I could be getting real work done. I think I have it all fixed now though. I was so busy and frustrated that I totally forgot about my lunch and didn't have my second smoothie until about 4:00. Left the office a bit after 5:00 and going to have a salad here shortly. I am going to get back to regular exercise this week. I'd like to get to the gym, but I've been working late so often lately that I'm not going to promise. I will at least do some exercise here at home though.

Lia, I didn't have everything I needed to make the braised kale and tofu so that was sad, but it is on my list of things to make soon.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Y'all inspired me. I finally got "active in april" here on the 12th of the month. Took the boy dog out for a walk and got myself up to 5000 steps tonight. Not that impressive of a workout or anything, but I got up and did something and that is a start.
  • whats_her_name
    Options
    yay Mihani!! :sweat_smile:

My knee ended up getting quite swollen last night; during my walk back home, I wasn't paying attention and mis-stepped - I ended up turning my ankle a bit, and I felt a little pop in my knee. By bedtime, I was really concerned that I wouldn't be able to walk today. I still can't bend my knee all the way up, but I did sleep with my knee under a pillow, and that helped a great deal. I still went to class this morning, because it was chest & arms day. And of course our "finisher" (the end and the HIIT part of the workout) was full of squats and lunges again. But I just did the elliptical machine while everyone else did the finisher (ha! suckers...). So at least there was ONE good thing out of that....

So I'm not going to do any runs for a couple of days. Maybe Thursday I'll see how it feels. But it's still a bit swollen and I don't want a real injury, so I'll just be patient...

• liapr
    Options
    Woohoo! Successful weekends for everyone! That is a HUGE run, Karrie!! Awesome job, especially while sore. Sometimes when I push myself I am surprised how much I can do even while sore lol.

Mihani, how did yesterday go at the office? Two sub-par office days? Blech. Glad you got out to walk the doggy though, that's a long walk!! Yesterday was our first beautiful day in a long time. It was so nice! I walked the doggy for my exercise for the day too and we were both tired! It's making me realize how much I really was hibernating lol.

So I am nearly full on panicking about having packed on some weight last year that hasn't come up... I really refuse to go buy new clothes for summer this year, but I am actually so nervous. I have been getting in a lot more exercise. But then what do I do at lunch today? Go and hunt for the easter candy that my father actually hid from me so I wouldn't be tempted! What the heck is wrong with me? I actually can't figure myself out lol. But it made me feel sick so I am going cling to that memory and try to give up chocolate for a least a week. A week!! Why is that so difficult for me?! Haha. Sigh.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Weird, I posted last night and it's gone. Anyway, Karrie, great job pushing through and getting your workout done. Lia, I felt the same way after walking, my calves were sore and I was worn out. I'm going to have to figure out something before next winter, to keep myself moving despite the cold. I have so much more energy now that the weather is warming up.

I am having the same problem with my clothes being snug and I hope that I can get back down to my prior low within the next few weeks. I'm feeling confident at the moment. That feeling is, of course, subject to change. The smoothies are helping me a lot though, taking the options away for breakfast and lunch and no snacking keeps my daytime calories low and fairly consistent. Then I can eat a good dinner, and I'm finding that I am making better choices at dinner because I feel like I did so well during the day that I don't want to blow it.

I went to bed super early last night so I got up super early, so I'm going to head off to the office. Going to be a long day, but tax time is over tomorrow.
  • Phoenix4me18
    Phoenix4me18 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! My name is Laura and I am just starting to transition to a more ETL lifestyle. I happened to come across your group and was really happy to see it wasn't enormous! I rejoined MFP in February when I hit my all time high weight. Since then I have been trying to find the right set of guidelines to follow to turn things around. I dusted off my ETL book and found a lot of it resounded with me. This week I have been working to incorporate a LOT more produce, some grains, eliminate dairy (I didn't eat much of this before) and reduce how much meat I am eating. I really like how you guys are so supportive of whatever approach works for each individual and aren't real militant about things. I also have enjoyed reading through the April thread and seeing just how nice you all are to each other! It is refreshing to see! So many of these threads or groups can be super critical or turn out to be downright mean sometimes.

Anyhow, I was hoping to join in and get to know everyone. I would like to belong to a somewhat smaller group as I have found the smaller the group, the more people know about each other the better the support.