April Chat

Options

Replies

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    No advice, gramanana, just encouragement and good thoughts your way.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

I am starting all over again. I won't bore you with the details, but the pathetic efforts I have made so far are not working. And I don't know why I thought I'd lost 10 lbs, obviously I was in some sort of altered state.

Not surprising, since I have been in a state of denial for the last 40 some years.
    Anyway. I'll check in when I have something positive to report.

PS: Don't drink herbal teas if you are not supposed to have sugar. The lovely herbs also contain sugar, albeit "natural" and it will raise your blood sugar levels. I guess next winter I'm reduced to hot water with lemon in it on cold nights. BAH.

IMG_4897_zps53fafd7a.jpg
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Crisbtrue wrote: »
    Good morning!

I am starting all over again. I won't bore you with the details, but the pathetic efforts I have made so far are not working. And I don't know why I thought I'd lost 10 lbs, obviously I was in some sort of altered state.

Not surprising, since I have been in a state of denial for the last 40 some years.
    Anyway. I'll check in when I have something positive to report.

PS: Don't drink herbal teas if you are not supposed to have sugar. The lovely herbs also contain sugar, albeit "natural" and it will raise your blood sugar levels. I guess next winter I'm reduced to hot water with lemon in it on cold nights. BAH.

Cris, Sorry you are in such a bad place today. Keep checking in even if you don't have a lot of positives to report. The focus checking in daily gives you will help in the long run. Reread the helpful threads here, what is working, tools that work for others, and the recipes and tips threads for some new ideas.

Please log, I know it can get painful but log without judgement, just log what you are eating, the good, bad, and ugly. By reviewing all of it you can find what does work and what does not work for you. Read others open diaries to get ideas on what to eat as well. Many others are diabetic and doing well, you can do this too. The focus on diaries will teach you a lot.

Regular hot tea is very nice with a little lemon in it. No added sugar there. And personally I love hot water with lemon or lime, so not so bad.

Just don't give up on yourself, keep checking in, in the long run the time passes anyway, you might as well keep at it. It is better to maintain than to cave and just gain more weight. I learned that lesson last year, so here I am bugging everyone daily, I want to see you in here too. {{{{HUGS}}}}
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Crisbtrue, Retirehappy is absolutely correct about checking in with the Community and logging every day. I know it really helps me. I'm learning that diet, health, and fitness are lifetime activities and it helps to have people out there who are going through the same, or similar, things. Hope your day gets better.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Cris....you have come back so well done! And now just keep on coming back every day ... best wishes x
    Jean
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    @Crisbtrue Welcome back! Cris, the food and exercise logging help us be mindful. As the others said--the good, the bad, the ugly. Glad you're working your way through again. Take care of yourself
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Had a NSV today, the pants that fit me last Sunday do not today, they dropped below my hip bone, which I can actually find these days. So had to find a smaller pair of pants to wear this morning. Great way to start my day. Especially since my scale is not moving up nor down this week.
  • gramanana
    Options
    What wonderful news, Retirehappy--CONGRATS!

I had a very busy weekend with my daughter and her family staying with us on Thursday night in order to be able to get the the state gymnastics meet without getting up at the crack of dawn to be on time for my grandaughter's 9 am competition. She came very close to placing on vault, but missed it my .25 of a point. Oh well. She handled it very well. Since my daughter is a coach and had girls competing the next day, too, she also stayed Friday night. Saturday I was exhausted and never had a good meal, just snacked all day....not a good idea.
  • CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm here. :)

Actually, I've lost 5 lbs since I started here, but it doesn't show on my personal logging thing because I missed a few days and that's like "starting over" anyway. I keep a separate weight chart anyway.... which is, to say the least, sobering, if not actually depressing. hahaha. But, I'm down a pound from the other day when I posted my Bah Humbug Poor Me rant. B)

And of course, I've lost 30 lbs; just the same 3 lbs over and over.... :D

Re: tea. The thing is, I was drinking herbal tea at night.. It was so cold, and it was nice to have a soothing warm cup while watching tv. My hands turn into fingercicles in the winter, and just holding the cup of warm brew helped. Caffeinated regular tea is fine during the day--but at night... not so much.

I'd discarded a couple of teas that I thought were too sweet, but apparently the ones I kept... well. Boo Hiss.
    Perhaps if I only have it once a week...

My doctor is going to switch a couple of my diabetic meds; one is supposed to supress my appetite.

A friend of mine lost 23 lbs in a little over 3 months doing one of those "two shakes a day" plans.
    The results are impressive, to say the least. Her A1C is down, BP is down, etc etc.
    I have to admit--that's pretty tempting.

But my question is; what happens then, when you go back on regular food 3x a day? Or is this the kind of thing where they want you to keep buying their product >:) indefinitely? I haven't closely questioned her because I don't want a sales pitch. :) And I'd rather keep trying with Real Food. Personally, I have never done well with Meal
    Replacement products. I can just see me, plopping half a cup of vanilla Blue Bunny ice cream in that shake, with a squirt of chocolate syrup. o:)

Also I'm AGAIN working on doing regular exercise which of course (preach to the choir) is the Most Important.
    I am not eating more than 1400 calories a day right now... so exercise is the only other option. I'd be out walking now; it's a gorgeous day, but we've go the Dreaded Yearly Yellow Pollen Infestation. *choke, hak*

Congratulations, retirehappy, on finding your hipbones and losing your pants! You're an inspiration. <3

As are you all. Thanks for your encouragement. I try to keep my whining to a minimum, but sometimes...errgh.

Oh. I will say this. I am trying a mindset I used once before when I did actually lose weight.
    Instead of thinking like a Fat Person Who Needs to Lose Weight and GRIMLY Avoid Certain Foods, I try to

Think Like a Thin Person Who Only Wants Good Stuff and Wouldn't Touch the Bad Stuff Anyway...

I'm gonna need it, because next weekend I'm going to California for a few days.

til soon.

xox

• retirehappy
    Options
    Cris, I still remember Oprah's experience with the shake diet, first real burger, she started gaining it back. I feel it is best to just learn how much and what to eat to keep your body in balance. I am attempting to do that this time around. I also agree about the mindset, I am a fit, healthy person, I wouldn't eat that is my self talk matra when I am around things I shouldn't be eating. I am also beginning to count up how many cals. to burn to eat somethings, and they are not worth it. Mind you, I still include good dark chocolate and wine, but both have lots of healthy benefits as well as making me a happier person in general.

Enjoy all those fresh fruits and veggies and grilled meats in CA. Just track and make good healthy decision, you got that Girl.

Gramanan, Sounds like an exciting weekend. Just get back on track, no worries.
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Crisbtrue wrote: »
    Oh. I will say this. I am trying a mindset I used once before when I did actually lose weight.
    Instead of thinking like a Fat Person Who Needs to Lose Weight and GRIMLY Avoid Certain Foods, I try to

Think Like a Thin Person Who Only Wants Good Stuff and Wouldn't Touch the Bad Stuff Anyway...

So true, love that reminder! Thanks, Cris... ~ Kathy

• retirehappy
    Options
    Put new batteries in my old Wii today, it is a fun alternative to the snow and rain outside. As today is one of my rest days, I only had to get in my steps. The Wii works great for that. I also update the apps for youtube and amazon prime videos, so I can also access videos in my workout room now as well. Just been too absorbed in fitness classes and walking outside to even think about using the Wii until today.
  • grandmothercharlie
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Great idea with the WII. I don't have one, but my DIL works out with hers.

I found a way to try out shoes that I buy on-line. I have really wide feet and must buy a 2E or even 4E sometimes. I have to buy on-line, too, as there isn't any store in Columbus that carries shoes wide enough. I bought a new brand this time and wanted to make sure they didn't hurt my feet, but let's face it, around the house just isn't enough. So, I took them to work and at lunch I went to a floor in my building that is totally vacant and walked around the perimeter on the carpet for 20 minutes. They didn't hurt so I can keep them. Yay. This is the first pair of heels of any kind I have bought in 10 years!
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Ooh, heels. :-)
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Speaking of shoes, I have a "new" pair, it is an old pair that I couldn't wear, yeah, my feet have gotten smaller, so I can now wear them. They are expensive, trail running, waterproof shoes so I am pretty happy about that. A couple of my other pairs of shoes are getting so loose, I might find myself walking out of them soon.

As for the heels, I haven't tried on my heels in a long while, will have to do that and see how they fit now. I have bunions so I need a wide toe box and a skinny heel area, hard combo to find. Hopefully some of my older pairs will work out okay.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    I buy shoes at shoebuy .com. They have thousands of shoes. You can put in the size and width you need, the type of shoe you want, and even color if you choose or brand. That narrows it down so you don't look at shoes that don't fit. Free shipping, too. My favorite brand is Propét. They are comfortable and they have lots of double wides. Even some 4Ws! Although these heels, really wedges, were Elites. So cute. Open-toe, sling-back with cork wedges. I had ruined the joint in my big toe and had to have the bone sawed down for mobility. That was in 2000. Except for kids' weddings, I haven't worn heels of any kind.
  • retirehappy
    Options
    Will check out that site. I need black flats :). Ouch on the toe joint. I turned down the dr. when she suggested I could have the bone shaved so my biggest bunion isn't so hard to fit. I use inserts and shop for wide toe boxes instead.

Love wedges, you have to take a picture for us of you wearing them.
  • grandmothercharlie
    Options
    Bunion surgery is painful with a long recovery. Mine wasn't a bunion, but the joint in my big toe was gone. He cut the bone at a 45 degree angle to allow it to bend. A lot of drs. would have put in a rod and I would have had to wear a rocker shoe. I love my foot surgeon. It is funny that you say that about your bunion. I had a friend whose dr. wanted her to get bunion surgery. I suggested she see my foot surgeon. He told her to just wear wider shoes. So, you made a good choice!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I have had bunion surgery etc, and I have narrow feet except where the bunion surgery was. I buy shoes on line from 6pm.com. I have had real good service from them and I usually wait until stuff goes on sale. Have you tried Kalso brand? I love them. After two knee replacements I have to be real careful with my shoes. Kalsos have a natural walk (kind of recessed heel) and are really comfortable. Nice and wide widths if you need them. I love the Kalso Earth Shoes
  • gramanana
    Options
    Heels? I haven't worn them I years. Very bad feet including an extra bone in each arch. I've had trouble all my life, but when I was first working you didn't have a choice, you had to wear heels. Personally, I'm glad to be done with them. Now I buy New Balance walking shoes and nice looking flats when I need them.