Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Speeding up the last of the fat loss?

parkdad73
parkdad73 Posts: 88 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I am turning 42 in early June and really want to knock out the last of my weight loss (aka get ripped) but there is so much contradicting formation from every muscle head it seems. I've upped my cardio by 100% and reduced my intake but I'm only down half a pound in over a week. Can we really get ripped on LCHF or simply stay trim? Almost everything I see about getting ripped is high carb.

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Cardio to get ripped? You want to lift weights. And you won't get ripped till your body fat falls below 15% or so.

http://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains/wiki/index
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    What Wab said! Hey, you can come to Florida and be my lifting buddy (sorry, just started a thread about how I need one LOL)
  • parkdad73
    I need to explain a little more. I am lifting and just about where I want to be but want to burn off the last of it so everything looks more defined especially my abs. I'm upping my cardio to burn more of my stored energy and let it all show through. Think of it as a body builder trying to get ready for a competition but not that extreme.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,009 Member
    edited April 2015
    parkdad73 wrote: »
    I need to explain a little more. I am lifting and just about where I want to be but want to burn off the last of it so everything looks more defined especially my abs. I'm upping my cardio to burn more of my stored energy and let it all show through. Think of it as a body builder trying to get ready for a competition but not that extreme.
    Still couldn't hurt to check out r/ketogains

From there:

H5HY685.jpg

What could be truer?
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    you might want to take a look at metabolic issues that might be influencing your body to hang onto the last bit o flab. how's your stress? sleep? ramping up the cardio is not necessarily the answer, and in fact could be counterproductive.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    If you've suddenly added anything your body might be holding onto water to be safe.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    My question (that I can't answer) would be - do fat cells stay around even after they're emptied out? I believe I have heard that in the past. Do people who were one obese/overweight always have some degree of extra padding because of deflated fat cells? I really hope for you that is not the case, and that someone will refute my thoughts.

I certainly hear you on your wishes. It's a dream that men can have more readily than women that's for sure.
  • parkdad73
    My question (that I can't answer) would be - do fat cells stay around even after they're emptied out? I believe I have heard that in the past. Do people who were one obese/overweight always have some degree of extra padding because of deflated fat cells? I really hope for you that is not the case, and that someone will refute my thoughts.

I certainly hear you on your wishes. It's a dream that men can have more readily than women that's for sure.

That is part of my concern. I haven't seen many if any stories where someone went from being morbidly obese to JC Penny catalog model. I'm afraid there will always be a layer there that I can't get rid of not to mention the baggy skin. I've been fortunate enough where my stomach is the only area where the skin is loose but I can hide that somewhat under my bathing suit. Lol.
    My weightloss seems to have started at my fingers and toes and worked its way in. The last of it is concentrated in the stomach and upper thigh area.
    I guess I see the infomercials (px90, T25, body beast) and think I now look like some of the before pictures and can get to the after picture. The question I have is how (without buying the program) and if it is possible considering my history (excess fat and that I am likely without the additional water weight that people who haven't been dieting lose in the beginning) to get there. That is why I posted here instead of the exercise and fitness forums. Also my age is a definite consideration too.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    More cardio isn't going to burn fat off any faster, especially if you're still eating all the calories MFP allots you (keeping the deficit steady), and even if you aren't, more cardio isn't going to help you.

More is not better, especially when it comes to cardio.

More cardio means more cortisol release, especially when you're already lifting and were doing cardio to begin with. Best case scenario, you're hindering your fat loss. Worst case? Your eating into the muscles you're trying to build.

Rest is just as important (if not moreso) than the workouts themselves. There's a reason Crossfit encourages no more than 3 days in a row ("3 on, 1 off").

Also, the JC Penny (and A&F and VS and...and...and...) models get the look you see in the magazines from a combination of years of training, strict diets, and in the day leading to the photo shoot, dehydration and glycogen depletion, they are also pretty drastically helped by Photoshop. In other words, what you see in the magazines are fake. Even if you want to look at the bodybuilders and figure competitors, you're still looking at years of specific diet and training, and pre-show dehydration, glycogen depletion, and pump to get the look you see on stage.

Also, have you ever looked at the bodybuilders in the off-season? Without that couple day lead-up, they actually look obese, and if you didn't know you were looking at muscle, you'd probably be worried about their blood sugar levels.

Bulk and cut cycles are not fast. There's a reason many of them talk about it sometimes in terms of years, or at the least, the better part of a year, and rarely in weeks.

I think you need to change your perspective a little. You're probably already more fit at almost 42 than you were at 21 (or maybe as fit again). You're certainly more fit than you were 5 years or so ago. You have a body damn close to your ideal. Rejoice in that. Rejoice in the fact that you're in good shape, and not looking down the barrel of Diabetes or an early heart attack. Rejoice in the progress you've already made.

Half a pound a week is nothing to sneeze at when you're close to your goal and looking at body fat percentages in the teens and lower, especially if you're doing things to build/maintain lean mass. That will be an additional 4 pounds between now and the beginning of June. That might not sound like a lot, but at the lower percentages, that can mean a huge visual difference, especially if it's mostly fat.

That said, check out http://www.leangains.com/ . And if you're curious about the "I was previously fat, now I want to be ripped" factor, look at the "Results" section. Mark was never particularly fat (though he did have a spare tire in his teens), but the "Clients" section has some guys that are closer to your age, and their before pictures show a very evident layer of fat. Take note, though, that you're still talking 3-4 months of dedication, minimum, to get the results you see there.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Would have to see a pic to see how close you are.