mct oil

Options
tmdalton849
tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
who uses it? how much do you use? how do you use it (bpc, salads, etc.)? any favorite brands? what benefits and/or drawbacks have you noticed?

thanks in advance!

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I use NOW MCT oil in mayo & coffee.
    Coffee: 1 tbsp MCT & 2-3 tbsp butter in about 20 ounces of coffee, mixed in with a little blender designed for protein powder
    Mayo: has 1 cup in it.

Benefits:
    Completely flavorless.
    More energy

Drawbacks:
    Don't, for the love of all that is holy, overdo it when you first start. You will spend quite a while in the bathroom if you do.
    A bit pricey
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    "Don't, for the love of all that is holy, overdo it when you first start. You will spend quite a while in the bathroom if you do."…

Twibbly, do some use this as an aid to relieving constipation, say, if you only use it 1x a week? (since many newbie Keto'ers talk about constipation)

Are we talking major gas pains discomfort in the intestines, or just diarrhea for a few hours? or ?
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    thanks twibbly - that was just the sort of info i was hoping for! (:

i had heard that about going easy at first. figure i will start with one tbs. a day and see how it goes. i have been having quite a lot of coconut oil lately, so maybe that will ease the transition a bit.

• Twibbly
    edited April 2015
    Options

Are we talking major gas pains discomfort in the intestines, or just diarrhea for a few hours? or ?

Nausea & burning diarrhea.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I use Melrose brand for an energy boost pre HIIT sessions. I also only put it in BPC or occasionally mayo too. It is also great for coating molds when you make freezable fat bombs.

Pre exercise, it gives me an energy boost like nothing else can on keto. Keep in mind if you want to burn off your own body fat, you body will use the immediately available MCT oil as energy first before tapping into your own reserves. YMMV.

I had too much too soon when I first started using it and got the gastro side effects, but you do adapt to it eventually so don't go crazy with it at first! I've always used heaps of coconut oil, and still had to build up to a TBS of MCT oil because of the diarrhea aspect though.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    I use Melrose brand for an energy boost pre HIIT sessions. I also only put it in BPC or occasionally mayo too. It is also great for coating molds when you make freezable fat bombs.

Pre exercise, it gives me an energy boost like nothing else can on keto. Keep in mind if you want to burn off your own body fat, you body will use the immediately available MCT oil as energy first before tapping into your own reserves. YMMV.

I had too much too soon when I first started using it and got the gastro side effects, but you do adapt to it eventually so don't go crazy with it at first! I've always used heaps of coconut oil, and still had to build up to a TBS of MCT oil because of the diarrhea aspect though.

thank for the tips! i had read/heard that mct are good during keto adaptation, because they help 'train' your body to burn fat, as they facilitate the process. i will give them a try before my kettlebell workouts, and see if i can benefit from the energy burst!

seems to be so far - so good with a tbs. at a time. (i have been working on healing my gut for a long time now, so it's fortunately in pretty good shape).

fingers crossed! (:
  • Twibbly
    Options
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    It is also great for coating molds when you make freezable fat bombs.

Thanks for that idea!
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I use it for homemade mayo! I think I buy NOW brand. It's a brown glass bottle with an orange label.