• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    What does that even mean?
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I think it is a cracker type thing?

I don't know if these would be similar, but the following has a few cracker options: http://cavemanketo.com/lizzies-cheese-dip/
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Or just don't have any.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I would go with either don't have any (really hard during Passover) or just going with the flow and having a little bit and get back with low carb after the holiday.
  • tmdalton849
    tmdalton849 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    hmn... not really an option. it's not just a cracker. there is special religious significance in the particular way it is made, and partaking of it is obligatory.

was wondering if any fellow jews had suggestions. i am not always terribly strict about observing dietary restrictions, but passover is kind of a 'thing.'

i need to check w/my rabbi, but i also don't know if i am ok with just having it once at seder, or if i need to take it all week. or if the concern is more primarily with eschewing chametz (leavened bread) - in which case, it's all good! (:
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    thanks kuranda,

i was leaning toward just having a bite or two during the seder (and allowing it within my carb count for that day - adjusting as needed), and calling it good. i do love it, but i can 'resist' the rest of the week. i am working really hard to keto adapt, so i don't wanna blow it.

i wonder if there is such a thing as a 'low carb matzah' lol. i bet there are gluten free ones, but who knows what the carb count would be. (i think i even remember seeing one on someone's diary, but can't remember whose ).

thanks again, and chag sameach, if that applies to you!
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    http://smile.amazon.com/Manischewitz-Natural-Gluten-Free-Matzo-Squares/dp/B00D7MG6RE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1427983027&sr=8-3&keywords=gluten+free+matzo

20 carbs in one piece.

I don't know the requirements for matzo, but I'll throw out a few recipes.

This looks similar in ingredients to the GF matzo: http://thedomesticman.com/2014/03/13/grain-free-flatbread-paleo-vegan-and-aip-friendly/

Maria Emmerich has a recipe for naan that looks similar to an oopsie roll: http://mariamindbodyhealth.com/coconut-chicken-curry-and-naan-bread/
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    thanks for the ideas. unfortunately, matzah has to be made under strict supervision to ensure that no rising takes place, in order to be considered kosher for passover. i will probably have just 1/4 of whatever matzah is at the seder (that should get me through all the obligatory parts) and then ask the rabbi about what to do the rest of the week. i think i am actually fine if i just avoid chametz.

this is actually also what i do on shabbat as well, after we say the motzi (blessing for bread), my kiddo tries to hand me a big hunk o challah, and i just break off and eat a tiny piece to eat. ;-)
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Yahuda - Gluten-Free Matzo. I had a piece yesterday (1/8th of a cracker) and it was awesome. Still a little high on the carbs (I think 23g per full cracker sheet), but if you want to observe, I would recommend it.
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    thanks, octo! seems like a good option. now ro find some before tomorrow night! my rabbi and his family try to eat paleo, so they might actually bring some, lol!
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    tmdalton849 & octobubbles - I'm wondering what to do as well...but think I'll just nibble at our friend's house Friday and Saturday at our Temple's seder, and try not to obsess over carbs the next few days. I only bought one box of matza this year - otherwise I'll go crazy and find myself carbo loading with matza brei, matza slathered with butter, etc. etc...(I have a friend who makes a matza "bark" which I call "crack"...a highly addictive dessert with a caramel, chocolate, nutty topping. But I digress...Chag sameach back at you all!
  • gerrielips
    Options
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    thanks gerrelips! chag sameach!
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    omg - matza bark! that sounds really good!!!
  • gerrielips
    Options
    QUOTING TMDALTON849 "omg - matza bark! that sounds really good!!! " Dangerous! Don't go there. A friend of mine just made some for her seder and we're having lunch together next week...I told her not even crumbs will pass my lips!
  • tmdalton849
    Options
    haha, no - i will not go there.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I havne't looked at the links provided, but is there a low carb version of motza balls? I really can't pass up a good a matza ball soup.
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,056 Member
    Options
    http://elanaspantry.com/matzoh-ball-soup/ I don't know about the carb count, but I knew I remembered seeing this recipe.
  • miriamtob
    miriamtob Posts: 436 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I'm planning to make some out of yucca root tomorrow. It's from the grain free Jewish cookbook called "Yiddish Kitchen". It's an E-book, so you could buy it right now.