IOM miscalculated RDA for vitamin D

Options
camtosh
camtosh Posts: 898 Member
This is interesting --
http://blogs.creighton.edu/heaney/2015/02/13/the-iom-miscalculated-its-rda-for-vitamin-d/

"Last year (2014) saw an unusual event. Two statisticians at the University of Edmonton in Canada (Paul Veugelers and JP Ekwaru) published a paper in the online journal Nutrients (6(10):4472-5) showing that the Institute of Medicine (IOM) had made a serious calculation error in its recommended dietary allowance (RDA) for vitamin D. Immediately, other statisticians checked the Canadians’ analyses and found that, indeed, they were right. Together with my colleagues at Grassroots Health, I went back to square one, starting with a different population entirely, and came to exactly the same conclusion. The true RDA for vitamin D was about 10 times higher than the IOM had said. Not a small error. To understand, how this might have happened and why this is important, some background may be helpful." Read more at the link.

Yay for Canadian researchers! Time to up my supplement and get out in the sun more.

Replies

• gsp90x
    gsp90x Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    hm interesting
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Wow, I guess I feel pretty good that I usually take at least 5,000 IU/day.
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    Mistizoom wrote: »
    Wow, I guess I feel pretty good that I usually take at least 5,000 IU/day.

I take 10,000 IU/day. I notice a difference if I drop it below that.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I was taking 5000 IU daily, but upped it to 10,000 IU daily in liquid form, and I have had a noticeable improvement in mood and energy. Like equated to caffeine and antidepressants instantly... So I can totally see this!
  • GSD_Mama
    GSD_Mama Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    I take 5000 but not everyday. I do live in Sunshine state but I try not to spend much time in the sun for obvious reasons.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    I moved up to 20K units daily after the last two years testing in the 20's. Hopefully the Doc will say it is high next time. Being obese requires up to 250% higher dosage per research I have found. 75 is the reading I am hoping to achieve and maintain.

The reason of 75 goal is because cancer, heart attack, strokes and most all forms of death are rarely seen in the 60-80 range. I do not want to go much over 80.

Needing to take K1 and K2 vitamins to get vitamin D levels up into the super safe range was something I only learned last month. K2 also tells calcium where to go and to move if it is in the wrong places.