Advice needed

Options
jimboodee2
jimboodee2 Posts: 26 Member
I have been lifting weight since October and was concerned about my form doing weights in the house as I started to lift quite heavy so started seeing a PT 7 weeks ago and we used mainly kettle bells and trx to make sure my stability was right... So we have progressed on to barbells Squats, deadlifts (which I done myself before ) , today I done step ups and I have noticed a difference to my left side to my right it's off balance but due to this his going to step it back again just to kettles, trx, and the occasional deadlift ... I am gutted as my balance is fine when I have the barbell the issues seem to arise when I'm doing singular movements ... I know he knows his stuff but feeling disheartened.... Any advice thanks

Replies

• Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the case for you but for me, my PT noticed a difference in particular movements as well and suggested I get assessed by a Physiotherapist because she thought I might have an imbalance in my pelvis. She was right. One side of my pelvis sits higher and pushed out in comparison to the other so that means that my quads & hamstrings have different strength levels in each leg as well.

I'd recommend seeing a physio if you can to get an assessment and some exercises to help better stabilize your pelvis.
  • mdl2001
    mdl2001 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Imbalances are common and if your PT is good, they will listen to you and make adjustments as necessary. For instance, I noticed that my right bicep was developing more than my left bicep, so my PT had me use the Nautilus free weight machines which worked my arms independently. At the next month's measurement my biceps were the same size. The reason you have the imbalance when you do singular movements is because one side is weaker than the other. When you do the barbell your stronger side overcompensate for the weaker side so you don't feel the imbalance, but over time your stronger side will over develop. I would listen to your PT...it's probably better to work on the weaker side before moving forward. Sometimes we have to take a step back before we can move forward :)
  • jimboodee2
    jimboodee2 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the advice