Call For Sticky Contributors

Dragonwolf
Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
Hey ladies!

I'd love to get some stickies on here to help newcomers. Unfortunately, I'm pretty busy and if it were left all up to me, it'd take forever to get a good bit of the stickies up. Besides, this isn't my group, it's our group.

So, to those of you who are writers, editors, or researchers, I'd love to get some submissions from you!

What I'm thinking is that we can keep ideas here, and you can grab an idea (and a friend, if you want), write about it, post a rough draft to the group for feedback, then make the necessary edits and make a new thread for the sticky (you can see this in action in http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group ). I'll probably follow a similar format as the low carber group -- have one sticky that serves as a table of contents/index for the meat of things, which will link to closed stickies.

So, here are some ideas I've had:

What to eat? (Okay, I've technically written this a hundred times at this point, so you can go back through and find what I've written if you want and bring it all together; alternatively, if you've been successful with something dramatically different, like a low fat vegetarian way of eating, I'd love to hear your guidelines for success.)

The importance of self-advocacy.

Finding the right doctor (both general doctors and endos).

Guide to supplements and medications (this can be a larger section with details about individual things)
- Inositol
- Vitex
- Metformin
- Spiro
- Beyetta
- Birth Control
- Vitamins
- (etc)

Self-experimentation guide (importance of it, role of it, how to go about doing it to get meaningful information, etc)

External resources (blogs, videos, podcasts, etc).

If you have an idea, feel free to add to the list. If you have an idea and plan to write about it, then make note of that. If you just have the idea, then that's cool, too. Add it here, and someone who likes to write but needs ideas can pick it up (if nothing else, I might mine this list in the long run for my own blog, which I'll crosspost or link here). If you've already written something on your own blog, feel free to crosspost or link here (if we get enough submissions from member blogs, we'll probably have a dedicated section).

Guidelines for Sticky Submissions

1. For the rough draft, make a new thread with something like "Sticky Draft - [Topic]". This will be an open thread for feedback from the other members. All feedback is welcome, even if it's just proofreading.
2. For the final draft, make a new thread with something like "Sticky - [Topic]" or a more formal title for the topic (ie - "The Definitive Guide To Inositol").
3. Include a post here with links to your rough and final posts, so they don't get lost to an influx of new posts.

Have fun!

Replies

• Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    The What To Eat, Supplements and Self-experimentation guide are the most helpful IMO. But the rest is great for those that want to delve into PCOS and learn more. It would be really helpful to have this sticky for those who dont post in the groups and can also lessen the repeating of information given. The self-experimentation guide is really good idea since so many women, and even men, dont realize it is a syndrome and their bodies can react way differently than someone elses, and that we all have different symptoms. We've all run into those people who say, 'i have a friend/facebook/etc who doesnt eat low carb and doesnt have trouble losing weight so I dont know why I need to'.

I am not a researcher or a writer, but I have a few studies I can link for various things. I dont know how much help random links are :D
  • Dragonwolf
    Feel free to post them here with a little info on what the study is about. At the least, they can provide another reference for someone writing a post.
  • MeepleMuppet
    MeepleMuppet Posts: 226 Member
    common misconceptions, especially in regards to cysts.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18678372

that's one big one for us PCOSers. Ill try to find the others. That one is the one showing PCOS lowers our bmr and if we have PCOS and IR then it is lowered even more.
  • StephanieMoon6
    StephanieMoon6 Posts: 28 Member
    I would love to write about loving your body, with all that PCOS bring (acne, excess hair, etc).
  • Dragonwolf
    I would love to write about loving your body, with all that PCOS bring (acne, excess hair, etc).

Go for it!