How long were you out of work?

Options
RENAEJAE
RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
My surgery should be scheduled for June or July. I don't plan on telling anyone at work and was hoping to be out only a week or two at best. Of course I will do what my body allows, but I'm wondering how long all of you were out of work. I have an office job so physically I can sit at my desk as easily as I can sit at home. Just trying to see what the norm is.

Replies

• SibylDiane
    SibylDiane Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was out for two weeks, then I went back for half days for two days right before a long weekend. I was really tired and needed the time off to focus on getting my strength back and making sure I knew how to get my required protein and liquids in. Some people go back faster and some people need more time. I probably could have gone back at one week out if I had to, but I'm glad I didn't have to. It would have been really tough for me.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I was off for four weeks. I could have gone back after two without much issue, but used the extra time to get fully back to exercising. I was also very energy-drained and took a lot of naps while I was off. I probably could have toughed it out at work, or worked from home with the ability to nap when I needed it. If time is allowed, take it! I was fresh and ready to go back when i did return to work.

Rob
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    Thanks - glad to hear you healed quickly. I can take the time I need so I'm not worried about the financial end (I have great benefits), it's just that I'm in management and don't want to be away for too long. I can work from home for a 2nd week if needed.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I took a week off. I was tired and immediately collapsed onto my couch every night when I got home but I was ok at work. I have a desk job too.
  • JessieGii
    JessieGii Posts: 20
    Options
    My surgey is next week...I plan on being out for just a week, I hear staying active and excersing will help speed up recovery! I dont know if age is a factor but Im trying to bounce back like a new spring chicken lol B)
  • dolphintattoo
    dolphintattoo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I was out for 2 weeks but worked from home the 2nd week. I have a desk job.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I was out for two weeks and asked the Doctor to let me return to work because I was bored.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I was out two weeks.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    This is very encouraging. Thanks! I am very healthy other than the extra weight so I'm hoping to bounce back ok as long as there are no complications.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,690 Member
    Options
    I was out for four weeks. It would have been physically impossible to go back the first week or so. After that it was still a struggle to learn what I had to do, the size of meals, remembering to drink, what foods provided the right combinations of nutrition It was all overwhelming to me. The time to develop new eating habits was invaluable.
  • gaining_while_losing
    gaining_while_losing Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I was out 4 weeks and could not have gone back in 2 (which I planned on doing)...I had a lot of pain that kept me from even being able to walk. Short term medical leave gave me 4 weeks off, thank goodness. And no one at work knows I had the surgery (had it in February), not even my boss. Just told them I had to have surgery and I left it at that.
  • tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    4 days... It bloody sucked!!
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Tat2cookie - ugh!
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I don't work a job out of the house but I still took off from the housework for two weeks. I didn't drive for three weeks. Didn't even go to the grocery store until I was driving. Healing time is precious. I feel for anyone who is unable to have adequate time off to recover properly.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Surgery on Thursday, back to work Monday. Really tired the first week though.
  • RENAEJAE
    Options
    @blairmundy - you're one tough cookie. I'm impressed!
  • Dannadl
    Dannadl Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I had surgery on a Friday and my husband went back to work on Tuesday (I'm a stay at home mom at that time with a 2 & 4 year old. My husband had surgery on a Friday and went back to work after a week, but felt like he could have gone back sooner.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I was out for two full weeks. I could have gone back after one but it was recommended that I take it all so that I was fully comfortable with the food and drink requirements before I added my job back in. I had a friend who had the lap band and he went back a week early and really struggled with incorporating the food and drink requirements into her work day when he was learing it all as he was working too.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I have a desk job and work out of my home so it wasn't as difficult to get set up. On my lunch break I took a nap! If I had an office desk job elsewhere I would have needed a full week off for sure or at least worked shortened days. I would have been ok to go after a week and not had to wait a full two though. Everyone reacts differently, so it's hard to know!