21-Day Primal Challenge

Options
Kittyfeliz
Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Heya folks. I'm on day 3 of Mark Sisson's 21-Day Primal Challenge. There's now an app (Vimify) that you can do the challenge on but the next one didn't start for 3 weeks and I needed to start NOW. So here I am too noob to post on Mark's Daily Apple forums and needing support when I remembered (DUH), MFP has a Primal/Paleo group I'm already a member of! So here I am... This is the first time I've committed to Primal consistently. I've always tried to incorporate grain-free meals and such in my day but I could just as easily eaten a cupcake so it is time to commit for the next 19 days to see if I can do it, I've never committed to any lifestyle change for that long.

So, anyone here done the Primal Challenge? What were your results?

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I haven't specifically done the Primal challenge (but I'm very familiar with everything Mark Sisson) but I've been at least as long as a year at a time grain free. I've struggled over the last year (not with grain so much as sugar and exercise) or so but I'm Paleo/Primal for life. The better I adhere to the lifestyle the better my health.

I hope you stick with it and maybe go well beyond the 19 days. :)
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I did the last Primal Challenge, and went 30 days junk food and dairy free!! That was an accomplishment for me! I am a fry and chip girl! Have to be gluten free, feel best strict Paleo.
  • wittybelle
    wittybelle Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am doing a paleo challenge now, 30 days, to try to get myself back on track. The grains are the hardest part for me, I like bread, oatmeal, and popcorn.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Options
    Day 4 and I've dropped 3 pounds without counting a single calorie! :D
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    wittybelle, I found a paleo "oatmeal" recipe linked from this webpage. I haven't tried it yet, but it looks just like oatmeal! (Made with acorn squash, of all things, and coconut.)

https://salixisme.wordpress.com/2014/07/01/30-aip-paleo-breakfast-ideas/
  • wallyb101
    wallyb101 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I did the last challlenge, but it was tough for me because I had just started the paleo diet. I have lost 30 lbs since Jan. 1.
  • Kittyfeliz
    Options
    That's great Wallyb!

I love grains too Witty! I hope I can get to a good place so I can indulge now and then.

Today I made banana pancakes with egg and banana. My 1 year old son loooooved them and so did my husband and I. And I even went to a party and had a little cheese and a little chicken even though there was soooooo much delicious food there!
  • gracenorthcutt
    gracenorthcutt Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 day challenge in March to reaffirm my commitment.

One thing that really helped me was a conversation with my sister who counseled children. (We all need some basics sometime!) I mentioned "I love cookies!". She looked at me dead serious and said, "You love them? As in give up your life for them? Because that's what you're doing every time you eat that crap, giving up some of your life." Once I realized (a) she was right (b) I don't actually love food (c) no one food is worth my life, primal living got much easier.
    The biggest mental change I've made is I stopped saying "I love _____!" and now say "_______ looks/smells good. Why do I want to eat it and will it fuel my body?". Working on seeing food as fuel versus my friend has been the hardest part of my Primal journey.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    ^EXACTLY!!!! If a food hurts us, maybe the "love" should be re-evaluated.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I did a 30 day challenge in March to reaffirm my commitment.

One thing that really helped me was a conversation with my sister who counseled children. (We all need some basics sometime!) I mentioned "I love cookies!". She looked at me dead serious and said, "You love them? As in give up your life for them? Because that's what you're doing every time you eat that crap, giving up some of your life." Once I realized (a) she was right (b) I don't actually love food (c) no one food is worth my life, primal living got much easier.
    The biggest mental change I've made is I stopped saying "I love _____!" and now say "_______ looks/smells good. Why do I want to eat it and will it fuel my body?". Working on seeing food as fuel versus my friend has been the hardest part of my Primal journey.
    Excellent point. Good food for thought.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »
    Heya folks. I'm on day 3 of Mark Sisson's 21-Day Primal Challenge. There's now an app (Vimify) that you can do the challenge on but the next one didn't start for 3 weeks and I needed to start NOW. So here I am too noob to post on Mark's Daily Apple forums and needing support when I remembered (DUH), MFP has a Primal/Paleo group I'm already a member of! So here I am... This is the first time I've committed to Primal consistently. I've always tried to incorporate grain-free meals and such in my day but I could just as easily eaten a cupcake so it is time to commit for the next 19 days to see if I can do it, I've never committed to any lifestyle change for that long.

The app (vimify) looks a little... overwhelming. Did you try it?
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Kittyfeliz wrote: »

The app (vimify) looks a little... overwhelming. Did you try it?

I did it in January it was not overwhelming at all. There was a list of items to do and report on each day, a community piece, a notifications, and IDK what else but it was pretty simple really. Menu on left, whatever you click comes up in the middle.
  • JackLeaMason
    JackLeaMason Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I did the vimify challenge. I think I may use that time and energy moving forward and make a commitment to this site. Not necessarily to count calories, more to maintain a permanent diet and exercise log. I just have to stick with it and be honest about all entries.