ugh

gemberly
gemberly Posts: 67 Member
So I've been on this WOE since January. Today for the first time in forever I had about 2 oz of cake for my daughter's birthday. And (tmi) it gave me terrible gastric upset. It went right through me. Is this something that happens or what? Certainly would make me think twice next time!!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Yep, that type of thing is common. There are a few potential mechanisms (gluten intolerance revealed via the diet, downregulation of enzymes needed to break down sugars/starches, etc) and any combination result in pretty much the same thing. It's definitely a self-reinforcing way of eating! :D
  • gemberly
    Phew! Thanks! :)
  • ABrownGrl
    ABrownGrl Posts: 41 Member
    Same thing happens to me and I actually LOVE it because I hardly ever go off track now. It makes me feel just awful! :) Plus if people try to offer me stuff I don't eat, I just say it makes me sick, it usually shuts them up and I'm not lying!
  • gemberly
    Right?! Lots of upsides go this! We had cake leftover and I didn't touch it! But I know was hat to eat if my gastroparesis acts up. Lol
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Cake makes me horribly ill now. My birthday is tomorrow and I'm not having anything sweet, unless I make some keto cheesecake. I own't touch stuff now. Mom complains that I'm impossible now.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Impossible? Try going from seafood vegetarian for 26 year + EXTREME lactose intolerance for 10 years + gluten sensitivity (by elimination) for a few years on top of that...
    ...to ALL THE BACON AND EGGS THAT YOU HAVE.
    hahaha

My family was finally used to my other diet and now I won't touch most fruit and veg because of the carbs.
    But yes...at least in my case the gluten sensitivity makes it SO easy to say no to treats. Dad had celiac and Mom has an asthma trigger from wheat stuff. I've been used to saying no for years, but never felt deprived because I could ALWAYS find something I could have or make. Yes, I'm like a dog and TREATS make me feel good. >_>

-T.