Assistance exercises for OHP?

Options
timg760
timg760 Posts: 115 Member
I'm stalling at 125... so deloading and working back up. There must be something else i can do to help this along... some assistance lifts? Thanks.

TG

Replies

• timg760
    Options
    BTW Thanks for googling this for me ;) But the truth is I trust this gang more than I do the many sites out there...
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    First things first:

What all are you currently doing?
    How is your form?
  • timg760
    Options
    Doing Madcow using the spreadsheet. Squat, Bench, Row, DL, OHP. OHP is Wednesday after the squat and before the DL. Was considering making the OHP first to see if that helps.

Form... will have to check. I will try to post a video. I feel like it's OK... forearms start out vertical, head starts leaned back then moved forward as the bar goes up...

I actually got up to 3x130 at one point if i remember correctly... but the following Monday, i could not get 5x130, so i stayed at 130, and my performance was even worse.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    all I ever used to do for ohp was ohp , so I would do something like

3 x 5 ohp then,
    4 x 10 ohp in the same session for assistance

my numbers never went anywhere until I started training the individual muscles in the movement regularly

lots of tricep extensions (pulldowns AND overhead so you hit all heads of the tricep), lateral raises, face pulls

Also it's super important to have the rest of the body tight for strong pressing and I never realised this. Wear a belt if you want, brace abs and glutes as hard as possible so you are totally solid. IF you aren't doing this currently this will probably put numbers on your OHP straight away,

rip talks about this @ 5.00
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnBmiBqp-AI
  • timg760
    Options
    @Hendrix7 thanks! I will watch this over the weekend!
  • TR0berts
    Options
    In addition to what Hendrix showed/said, are your other lifts still going up, as expected with Madcow? I tried it before, but it overall didn't work well for me. I'm not sure why, but it didn't.

If the other lifts are still progressing fine, then you could think about adding the assistance mentioned above, or switching the OHP over to a 5/3/1 sort of progression (since you only work OHP once a week), while keeping the rest on the Madcow schedule. That might work, as the 5/3/1 periodization might help break up the (I don't know exactly what to call it) linear stress?

But, I'd go with what Hendrix mentioned first.

If you're having troubles with your other lifts, too, it might be time to move to a non-linear program altogether.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    ^^^that video! I can't wait to do OHP next. I've been really struggling with it. Thank you!
  • timg760
    Options
    @TR0berts thanks for your advice.

The video is great. Should help a lot... and i will also probably add those assistance lifts too.

TG
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Lots of good advice. I'll add this video (one of my favorites):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqKhLR1zRaU

Also for assistance work, anything upper body/upper BACK. Lots of pull-ups, kroc rows for example. Anything triceps (close-grip bench, dips, skullcrushers, etc). Incline bench.

Oh, and lots of time. I don't remember when I could do 135x5 but it was probably 2 years ago. As of today my 1RM is still only 195 and my 5RM is around 160-165. I'm hoping to reach a 225 1RM in like...2 more years.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hendrix7 wrote: »
    Also it's super important to have the rest of the body tight for strong pressing and I never realised this. Wear a belt if you want, brace abs and glutes as hard as possible so you are totally solid. IF you aren't doing this currently this will probably put numbers on your OHP straight away,

Yes, a great and often-overlooked factor. I try to flex my glutes and my quads as hard as possible. More stability == more force transferred to the bar. Somewhat often I'll actually cramp my quads or glutes because I'm flexing them so hard. It makes a huge difference. I belt up and wrist-wrap up for maximal attempts too for the same reason.
  • timg760
    Options
    I just got a belt! Still fiddling with the proper fit, but I like using it.

BTW forgot to address one question above... other lifts are progressing well, although i find myself having to concentrate more on the deadlifts so my form doesn't crack up.

Just hit a milestone on my squats too... 300#. Feelin' pretty good about that!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Thanks for these tips also :-)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Also, besides form issues that might need to be addressed, you might need to micro-load this exercise. 5lbs jumps might be too much. So if you don't have any at your gym, you can invest in some micro-plates that will allow you to make smaller jumps in weight than 5lbs.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Yes, a great and often-overlooked factor. I try to flex my glutes and my quads as hard as possible. More stability == more force transferred to the bar. Somewhat often I'll actually cramp my quads or glutes because I'm flexing them so hard. It makes a huge difference. I belt up and wrist-wrap up for maximal attempts too for the same reason.

Yep. Been there, done that. First time was, WTF? Then I realized what had happened.

Just hit a milestone on my squats too... 300#. Feelin' pretty good about that!

Niiiiiiiiiiiiice!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,627 Member
    Options
    What worked for me to make big jumps in my OHP was two-fold: throwing in smith-machine OHP every so often and doing shoulder-joint stability exercises. The added stability of the smith machine allowed me to instantly throw on an additional 30+ pounds, getting my main muscles used to the weight. Then by doing some shoulder rotational moves, I vastly improved my ability to keep my shoulders stable. This not only aided my OHP, but also my bench.

And by big jumps, I mean BIG. As in my OHP went from 135 for 2 reps to 185 for 3, with a 1RM of 205, in the span of about six months. My current goal is hitting 225 once (I already do 225 for 4 reps on the smith machine).
  • timg760
    Options
    it's good to know there are so many things i can try!

what kind of shoulder-joint stability exercises?

Thanks!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 9,627 Member
    Options
    The two I used:

1. Pick up VERY light dumbbells in each hand, bend elbows 90 degrees, raise arms out to sides so your upper arms are parallel to floor and weights towards ceiling. With slow, controlled motion and keeping upper arms still, twist arms forward until upper arms are parallel with floor. Reverse motion until vertical.

2. Set a variable cable machine so pulley is even with your hip with a hand attachment. Stand next to pulley sideways, so right hip is nearest pulley. Grasp handle with right hand, elbow bent 90 degrees and pushed against ribs, arm sticking out from right side (picture trying to hitch-hike). Step far enough from pulley to provide tension. With controlled motion and very light weight, keeping rest of body motionless, rotate arm from extending to the right until across body to the left, and back. Without releasing handle (but after cutting weight in half), turn around so now left hip faces pulley and tension is provided while right hand is across torso. Now you'll have to pull the opposite way. Complete all sets, then repeat series with left hand.

When I say VERY light, I mean it. You can always increase the weight as you get used to the motion, but these moves are not ego-boosters. I shoulder press with 80# dumbbells, but I did the first exercise using 10-15#. Slow and controlled, 3 sets of 10.
  • timg760
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to use #1. Would you please clarify something for me?

You start the exercise with elbows bent 90 degrees... upper arms parallel to floor and weights towards ceiling - does this mean the weights are sort of at the level of the top of your head?

Then the next move... " twist arms forward until upper arms are parallel with floor", but my arms were already parallel with the floor. What did you mean here?

Thank you again!

TG
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Should be until lower arms are parallel to floor while still bent.
    Picture arm wrestling move winning, with arm to side instead of front of body.

You can also do this laying on floor to work muscles on other side.
  • timg760
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    Should be until lower arms are parallel to floor while still bent.
    Picture arm wrestling move winning, with arm to side instead of front of body.

You can also do this laying on floor.
    thanks!