Celebrating Non-Scale Victories! Share your NSV's here!

Options
Jennbecca33
Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
The scale isn't the be-all and end-all for feedback on your fat loss efforts. It's easy to get caught up in the numbers, especially if you're in the not-so-great habit of weighing in every week. There's a danger in depending solely on the scale for feedback. If it shows that you didn't lose or that you gained, you might feel disappointed. It might even feel like a setback.

But if you put the scale in perspective and focus on other achievements, your journey will feel a lot less hit or miss. A lot can happen within the body, especially when eating properly and lifting heavy weights, and these things often aren't reflected on the scale! Acknowledging your progress in other areas can help keep you positive. Do you have more energy? Are you getting stronger and able to increase your weights? Have you lost inches or are your clothes fitting better? These are all great NSVs!

It's important to recognize these changes, even if you consider them small as they are happening. You'll realize that you're progressing in behaviors, attitudes, skills and choices that will last you a lifetime. So feel free to post your NSVs and any other type of progress you're having with EM2WL and share your journey with others!

Replies

• Jennbecca33
    Options
    Reposting this awesome NSV from member Tipularia:

"I've lost 3 inches overall in the past 12 days! While eating a crazy amount of calories AND having the best time lifting heavy weights! The scale doesn't show any of this, but the digital tape measurer does. I'm sold. I've drunk the Kool Aid. Where do I sign over all my worldly goods? This is genius!"
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I started EM2WL about six weeks ago. Have been increasing my calories and now eating around 2500 a day. The scale has stopped going down, but I seem to be losing inches at about the same rate as when I was eating low calorie. I don't think that should even be possible! Yesterday my husband said I was a black hole...my mass stays the same but I just keep shrinking. LOL.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    @Agardengrrrl, that's a great NSV! Eating and shrinking! :) Thanks for sharing!!
  • Tipularia
    Tipularia Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Jennbecca33, thanks for being such a great resource for all of us.

I'll add a few more to the above NSV, because I know what it's like to start this and be scared to death that it will backfire. Anything I can do to help others feel comfortable moving forward, I will!

After losing 45 pounds on a low calorie diet and then stalling for 6 months I was desperate. I felt I was doing everything right (tracking every calorie, exercising, etc>). My doctor didn't know what to tell me and the only help I got was from a nutritionist who said, vaguely, "maybe you should eat more". So I began researching and found EM2WL. I started upping my calories in January and have been doing NROLFW since February, with three weeks off because I thought I hurt my back. Turns out it was just some nasty trigger points. A lacrosse ball and foam roller later and I'm good as new.

My weight has very slowly decreased. I know this because I actually graphed the last two months and added a trend line to help me see it. Otherwise it just looked like it was jumping around the same few pounds. However, the real changes have been off the scale and a bit off the chart! I've lost 7 inches total since January, which I think is great, considering the fact that I've only been lifting heavy since late February AND took a few weeks off. My wobbly arms aren't wobbly anymore, there are some serious muscles in my calves, my butt is completely different (in a good way!), and the dreaded belly fat (that stuff above your belly button that comes from stress, etc.) is significantly down (now I kinda wish I had included it in my standard measurements). So much so that I was looking in the mirror recently and realized my belly looked the way it used to when I would stand my straightest and suck it in....on a good day. Except, I wasn't holding it in and I was standing straight naturally, because my core is so much stronger.

And the compliments! It's been so much fun to suddenly hear that the changes are visible to others besides myself.

But the best part is that I feel strong! I feel like a badass lifting weights in the "boys room" (free weight room). I know this is a lifestyle that is longterm. My stress levels are down, I look forward to the gym, and I can't wait to see the changes to come! Because I KNOW there will be changes, ones that I create from hard work and good nutrition.

So there you go. A few months in and I have truly drunk the Kool Aid.

Thanks to all the EM2WL folks. Y'all rock!

• LoLoGB
    LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I just started this and 1) lost not starving and staying at 1200 ... 2) I have lost 2 inches so far off waist, belly and hips! I have lost weight also which is nice but when I get stagnant but know inches are falling I'm happy. It's hard to change thinking to NSV.... But hey I'd rather be fit and lean and thin and size 4 and weigh 140 than skinny fat and weigh 125. Getting sold on loose clothes and thinner, leaner body!
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    NSV: Enjoying food so much more than six months prior to EM2WL! Increased strength in weight lifting! Fitting into two pairs of my smaller pants! Better attitude about nutrition.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I've been doing EM2WL for about 10 months (after a few months of eating a bit less than I ought). I recently put on my old skinny jeans - and I could pull them over my thighs easily (when I first started this journey they were truly tight skinny jeans). And I love that even when I'm not working out for a period of time (due to injury or other stuff), I can still eat 1900 calories as my TDEE due to pushing it up through weight lifting.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Resposting this super NSV from badgalmari!

"I just wanted to update you on my progress so far. So, I measured/weighed myself yesterday and... I gained 1 pound since my last weigh in, but I lost another inch in my waist/chest & gained an inch in hips. (I'm cool with that inch gain too)!! I started lifting/strength training 2 months ago... Every since I've been eating more and lifting/strength training (still doing cardio maybe 20-30% of the time, but my main focus is strength now) I feel more fit and better overall! My metabolism is through the roof, I'm not tired anymore when I wake up in the AM & I really could care less about the scale. As long as the inches keep going down I'm good. Remember, slow progress is better than no progress...(Ty Lucia & Kiki from EM2WL for all of the wonderful information you have provided, and also ty for all of your encouragement fit fam.) All of you inspire me & keep me going :)"
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I did 100 pushups today and Tuesday all on my toes :) It was in 10 sets of 10, but last time we did this (in the Fall) I only got to 60 or 70 before I had to move to my knees
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Reposting this great NSV from Bebe6740!

"Just thought I would post my 1 month progress:

I've been eating between 2000-2500 calories a day, lifting heavy 3/4 times a week (with minimal cardio) and It seems I have lost inches!! I say 'seems' because I'm not actually measuring myself, but instead using clothes to gage my progress.

No lie- I bought a shirt the week I started and it 'barely' fit- super tight in the arms, the chest, the back, and yes the tummy area.... I actually kept the tag and receipt because I was going to return it. Well, yesterday I thought I would try it on once more before returning it (4 weeks later) and it fits super well!!! The arms are lose, the chest fits nicely, barely showing any back fat, and lose around the belly! I actually tore the tag and wore it out to dinner! I couldn't believe it, my husband couldn't believe it, and my brother who hadn't seen me in weeks couldn't believe it!

I am amazed and super pumped to continue on this journey!

I must say though, I did weigh myself for the first time in 4 weeks and I had gained 3.3 pounds... But I don't even care!!

Tonight I went out to dinner and wore a blazer I used to wear 'open', but I actually could button it in the front and it looked great!!

I still am a major work in progress, and have set my mind to a long term change (wishing to look my best come my 1 year wedding anniversary in December 16th), and I'm more motivated than ever!

I should also mention I have increased weights in almost all my workouts- up an average of 20-40lbs per machine (even doing 100lbs in the outer/inner thigh machine) and 15lbs in Dumbbells (doing 25lbs dumbbell curls!!. )Yay!!"
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Reposting this incredible NSV from FRJM:

"In January I had body stat analysis done at the gym, started following EM2LW and became a regular at the gym/running club again. My weight on the scales has fluctuated a few pounds up and a few pounds down but today it was exactly the same as in January. BUT here is the results of the body stat analysis which shows major progress and I now couldn't care less about the scale...

Bodyfat 34.8% in Jan...25.5% today
    Lean muscle 65.2% in Jan...74.5% today
    BMR 1336 in Jan...1418 today

This is me that was losing hope by trusting the scales. I was scared it wasn't working. I really thought if I'd lost any fat it would show on the scales.... this is proof that the number on those scales is rubbish!!!! Yippee for EM2LW"
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Reposting this super NSV from Noor13!!

"Wow it has been three years now that I started my journey with EM2WL. And with that comes a huge NSV-three years of being binge free. I gained quite a bit of strength along my way as well. So grateful to have found this wonderful way of life. And a big thank you to Kiki and Lucia!"
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Reposting this NSV from grkathena82!!

"This is what I shared with my Facebook friends today: I'm at my lowest weight since May 2013. I think sometimes people look at me and say, "Oh Athena's put on weight...". Well, yes I did...on purpose, and twice at that. Since May of 2012 I've put on 25 pounds ON PURPOSE. Not because I don't exercise and not because I eat too much. My metabolism was so damaged from eating 1000-1200 calories a day that I had to let it heal, which meant eating at maintenance for an extended period of time. But given that my body initially viewed "maintenance" as "surplus" I gained. Now I've been seeing a steady (and slow) downward trend in both weight and inches by eating approx. 2000 calories a day, two days a week max of HIIT, and 3-4 days of heavy lifting. I see a lot of them killing themselves with cardio and under-eating. Hopefully I'll manage to convert someone, or at least get them thinking!"
  • Graceious1
    Graceious1 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    My NSV for the week is being able to squat 100lbs after 7 weeks of strong lifts and 3 weeks EM2LW. In my taekwondo sessions I sparred with a man a whole foot taller than me, danced around him and got him with combination of kicks. I'm not intimidated by him anymore! B)
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Awesome, Graceious1! You are one tough chick! :)
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    My NSV happened yesterday. I've been doing Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 months while eating at a deficit. I started at 1200 & increased to 1350 because I felt weak and my lifts were suffering. I lost 10 lbs and 5.5 inches from March1-April 1. I found EM2WL and increased up to 2000. Lifts have been great and yesterday I saw how much stronger and more fit I've become. My husband and 3 yr old and I went for a hike. We lost the trail we were supposed to stay on and got way off track. We went miles out of our way and our 3 yr old didn't want to walk anymore. She was a trooper for much of the hike, though. I ended up carrying her on my back for a couple of miles, without a carrier of any sort. She weighs about 30lbs. She wasn't able to hold onto my husband's broader back and he had the backpack and dog, that's how I ended up carrying her.I remember last year I couldn't carry her (she weighed less, of course) for very long without getting totally winded. I felt great yesterday! I carried her up over rocks and down twisty trails.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    :) nice you guys! well done!
  • Jennifer_Lynn_1982
    Jennifer_Lynn_1982 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Huge NSV...for me anyways!

So I just took my measurements this morning. I've lost 12.5" so far - see below for the breakdown. I started Strong Lifts in February doing 2 sessions/week and increased to 3 sessions/week about 4 weeks ago. I also walk about 30 min. about 5 times per week, very little cardio outside of that.

In January, I had set my calorie goal to 1300 calories plus 50% of exercise calories. A few weeks ago I set my calorie goal to 1575-1675 calories (15%-10% deficit from TDEE) including my activity level/exercise calories. So I'm eating more and looking like I weigh less. This part is huge for me and should be key to anyone considering eating more...according to my measurements, I should weigh about 7 lbs less according to my last weight loss journey. This is because my BF% is dropping and my lean body mass is increasing.

Couldn't be happier from seeing the inches lost so far, especially with how discouraged I've been on my weight going up. I've gained about 2.5 lbs in the last 2.5 weeks since EM2WL, which I'm sure some of it is water weight but with my BF% going down, I'm really happy with the progress. Looking forward to my measurements in a few weeks!

Height: 5'4.5" Age 32
    Weight 151.8 / 152.8 - not really in the right direction but...
    BF% (est.) 29.6 / 25.3 - this works for me!
    Neck 12.5 / 12.5
    Waist 29.5 / 28 (-1.5)
    Navel 31 / 30 (-1.0)
    Hips 38.5 / 37 (-1.5)
    Butt 40.5 / 38.5 (-2.0)
    Bust 37/35 (-2.0)
    Ribcage 32 / 28.5 (-3.5)
    Thigh 24.5 / 23.5 (-1.0)
    Bicep 11.5 / 11.5 (0)
    Total Inches Lost -12.5" - whoo hoo!
    Total Weight Lost +1.0 lbs

SL 5x5 Working Weights - Feb / Apr