Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Since we don't believe conventional wisdom on what to eat, what else do we question?

2»

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    parkdad73 wrote: »
    I guess it is just over time, especially when it feels like I'm not seeing results, that I start to question if there is a better way than what I'm doing. Considering how LC was such a radical idea to what I had been doing and how well it worked I have a nagging feeling there is some other truth for fitness.
    I just get frustrated that we can build an artificial heart but can't get a consensus on what is the best health wise. I think that someday the scientists will figure out there are several different cellular body types (similar to the MBTI for personalities) and what works for each one.
    I want to make sure I'm not spinning my wheels when it comes to exercise.

Don't do exercise for weight loss. Exercise is only a tiny, tiny fraction of the equation when it comes to weight loss.

Instead, do exercise for other reasons -- like enjoyment, strength, or cardiological health. For example, I love going on walks and will do that every day the weather doesn't suck (and even some days when it does). My FitBit has been telling me that on the bigger walking days, I can get upwards of 20,000 steps. I also enjoy lifting, and have been using it for physical therapy for the back issues I've been having. Both are often followed up by a short Yoga session for stretching. I walk so much in large part to keep me sane (I spend a stupid amount of my days in the same room), and I lift, because I like the strength it provides. For both, any effect on weight loss and hormonal changes are welcome side effects of the activity.

That's ultimately what matters for most people -- what fits into your life, and what contributes to your non-weight-related goals? For most people, it's not until you're talking beyond 5 days a week or into multiple intense workouts per day, that the health improvements start diminishing (and in which case, you're getting into doing something because you enjoy doing it, and not for health benefits).

If you're concerned with the health benefits and the point of diminishing returns on a given activity, then look to the studies, as well as statistics of things like injuries or deaths per level of what it is you're doing. At what point do heart attacks or injuries start reaching statistical significance for that activity, for example. At what point are you likely to reach your natural peak muscle capacity? Studies will help guide you on these things, and your own "n=1" experimentation will give you your individual amounts.
  • tiffanycherie
    tiffanycherie Posts: 97 Member
    I don't think there is anything wrong with trying something new. However, I say keep it simple, keep it practical, and stick with something you like doing. I stick with what has gotten me results over and over again. 30 minutes of cardio and 20 to 30 minutes of weights alternating days between upper and lower body. If it seems simple it's b/c it is simple.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    I say keep it fun and balance the cardio with the weight bearing exercises.