Kryptonite

Options
purebredpolly
purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
My kryptonite is any foods which bring on a binge. I've made a habit over the years of limiting the foods I make my family, to ones I will not binge on. Mostly that means desserts.

I happen to proficient in French cuisine. In general French foods do not cause me to binge. It is however high in calories. I'm also disabled, and there are times I can not cook at all, or at least very limited in my ability to cook. That means convenience foods come in the house. Convenience foods are my kryptonite. I eat just a little bit, then just a little bit more, then bam, I've devoured an elephant.

Any advice on how to handle those times when my ability to cook is limited?

Replies

• tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I think its important to be prepared. Can you freeze some of your french cooking for when you don't have the ability to prepare? If you are cooking for others is anyone in your family able to cook with you? I have really fond memories of helping my mother cook in the kitchen from a very young age.

My therapist tells me that in your mind you "pave the path" for a binge and I think its true, that means if you have convinced yourself that you binge on a particular food, you will ultimately end up bingeing. Remember this sickness starts in the mind and seeps into the environment, not the other way round.

French cuisine, is so delicious, elegant, and impressive, I bet you cook some amazing food and I am so glad that BED hasn't tainted that enjoyment for you. You are stronger than you think.
  • purebredpolly
    purebredpolly Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    That's something I have thought about, the preparing meals ahead. I haven't thought about the meals being French though. I've not done much French cooking since starting this journey. The high calorie load makes me nervous. However, there are certain dishes that are less caloric.

I think I need to start planning ahead. That is something I've been taught. I need to visualize my stumbling blocks, and prepare a solution. Now, I just need to get my act together on it. *grins*

The French food, well, it started 20 years ago when I had first discovered low carb. That for me was the ultimate binge diet. I could eat as much as I wanted, as long as there was no carbs. The thing is, it can get very boring if it's just a plate of meat. There was this popular diet guru, that touted combination dieting. She had cookbooks with the French style foods. Well, holy toledo! It was like the Holy Grail! I stumbled upon something amazing, French cooking! That was it from there, I studied, and cooked, and studied, and cooked. Not very unusual for someone with an eating disorder I suppose. Now, I can make a really good French meal.

The thing about French food, it is very decadent, you feel spoiled with every forkful, and that right there is why I don't have any desire to binge on it. It is satisfying. But, like I said, it is very caloric, or quite a bit of it is. I've shied away from it since I've started this journey. The foods that are easy to make, are far less satisfying, and they set me up for a binge. As if I need any help in that department. *thud*