Did you have a "food funeral"?

Options
IslandSneezerooo
IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I watch a lot of WLS youtube videos and have heard a number of vloggers mention "food funerals" pre-op. Did any of you have a final feast of your favourite non-friendly post-WLS foods to lay them to rest for good before surgery?

There seem to be two separate camps post-op.... those who work their favourite foods into their diet post-op (once they are in their solid food stage) and those who stick to "clean eating" (no carbs or sugar, low fat protein first, low GI fruits & veg, etc...) post-op. What's a realistic stance to take? I'm a very all or nothing personality so my gut instinct is to say goodbye to all the foods that aren't good for a post-op tummy and commit to only eating lean protein, low GI fruit & veg, nuts, seeds, lentils, beans, dairy, & eggs post-op. I have to say I've noticed those who stay clear of high GI foods completely seem to lose way more consistently and keep the weight off long term, and that's what I want...

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    I sort of did. I ate a few things extra before my pre op diet. I didn't go crazy, but I did savor a small bag of cheetos, shrimp pasta in cream sauce, garlic bread, chocolate cake and sone good beer. Not all in one sitting.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Well I can honestly say tomorrow is surgery day and I didn't hold any food funerals - but I think tonight in my journaling I may write a euology to my big fat butt ;) and all those old habits I want to die off...symbolic yes and hopeful and my way of putting it into motion for good this time!
  • Losing_Sarah
    Losing_Sarah Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I shamefully admit that I did, kind of, for the two days before I started the two week pre-op liquid diet. While I say shamefully, I don't regret it. I also didn't gorge myself into a food coma, but I did go out for lunch and dinner both days at my favorite restaurants and got favorite things.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I had many food funerals during my supervised diet period. At the time I felt like I needed those "last" experiences one more time. It may have given me some momentary emotional satisfaction but I don't think it helped or hindered my post-op success.

I'm not exactly in either of the camps you described. I have chosen a path of protein-forward eating that limits carbs but not fat. I do have the very occasional bite of something sweet or bread, but I don't tolerate sugar very well anymore and they never taste as good as what I imagine they'll be. The thing is, most of what I craved pre-op (McDonalds in particular) I don't crave or even like anymore. I like what I eat, but food isn't the end-all-be-all that it once was.
  • joysie1970
    joysie1970 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    april731 wrote: »
    I had many food funerals during my supervised diet period. At the time I felt like I needed those "last" experiences one more time. It may have given me some momentary emotional satisfaction but I don't think it helped or hindered my post-op success.

I'm not exactly in either of the camps you described. I have chosen a path of protein-forward eating that limits carbs but not fat. I do have the very occasional bite of something sweet or bread, but I don't tolerate sugar very well anymore and they never taste as good as what I imagine they'll be. The thing is, most of what I craved pre-op (McDonalds in particular) I don't crave or even like anymore. I like what I eat, but food isn't the end-all-be-all that it once was.

That's very encouraging to hear, I am a bit of a foodie - more of a cooker and I like to try different dishes, I am kinda sad and thinking this part of my life is going to be gone forever...I keep saying it won't but part of me can't help but think it will.
  • cabennett99
    cabennett99 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I specifically wanted pizza and sushi to be among my last pre-op meals, thinking I'd miss them both. Post op (5+ months), I can honestly say I don't think in those terms any more...I'm perfectly happy and satiated to eat protein and produce. I still haven't reintroduced any bread, rice or pasta and I'm in no hurry. I'll eat any protein that appeals - steak, chicken, fish, eggs, dairy, tofu, legumes, without worrying too much about fat - the volume is so low that it's not hurting me; and don't feel like there's anything I want that I'm not getting.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    Options
    The whole last 38 years were indulgent (when I wasn't restricting big time) so I'm feeling like I probably don't need a food funeral... I know what it all tastes like after all... but I can see how it would be tempting to do... Haven't decided yet, and have months to decide... but was something I was thinking about...
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I didn't have one. I wanted to go have a cubano sandwich before my pre-op diet, but never made it.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I did a few last meals of certain foods before my two week liver reduction diet. What got me the worst was that I drank Diet Coke right up to the start of that two week diet. I had horrific caffeine withdrawal for three days! Definitely should have weaned myself off that slowly - don't know what I was thinking!
  • klcovington
    klcovington Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I had several food funerals before surgery. And it was strange thinking that I could never eat those foods again. What I have found six months out is that I CAN eat those foods again...but I have to choose not to and focus on being constant in the program. I have been wavering and testing my limits lately and have been stuck in a stall as a result. I spent this weekend working to get my head back on straight...and recommit myself to this journey. I am at my lowest weight that I can remember and down about six clothes sizes since surgery but I still have work to do.
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »
    april731 wrote: »

That's very encouraging to hear, I am a bit of a foodie - more of a cooker and I like to try different dishes, I am kinda sad and thinking this part of my life is going to be gone forever...I keep saying it won't but part of me can't help but think it will.

You don't have to give up that part of your life. I go out to eat probably 3 times a week and I eat a wide variety of stuff. Its a matter of picking things that match your plan. This is not a short term diet, it's a new way of life and I believe that you have to allow yourself to live. I know that if I didn't allow myself variety then I would go back to binge eating. I am in April's camp here. I allow occasional treats if they are worth it to me but stick mostly to my plan. I think that is what my surgery has helped with most, the ability to tell if something is actually worth it to me rather than just being an equal opportunity binger.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    As I progressed through my pre-op stages, I adjusted my eating to as close to post-op as I could. You don't quite realize *all* of the changes that will come your way, but you can adopt most of the habits and behaviors. As a result, the surgery was mostly the physical change rather than the start of the *new* eating plan.

As it happens, I scheduled my surgery so that my liquid diet started the day after I traveled for a golf weekend. While I let myself not log and eat pretty much whatever I wanted that weekend, it wasn't the all-out food fest I was partially expecting.

Since the surgery, I have continued to cook for my family, so while I am doing my best to cook and eat well, I am still cooking as wide a variety of foods. I notice that since my portions are small, I spend more time and effort into making meals that pack a flavor punch. If I'm only eating a few bites, i want them to be memorable. This is not totally appreciated by my family, as I already liked more strong flavors and spiciness than they do.

WLS is not the end of eating, it is a drastic adjustment to a new way of eating. My main advice going forward is to use the pre-op time to adapt yourself as if you have already had the surgery. The transition is easier and you will reduce the amount of weight loss required post surgery. All good things!

Rob
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    no food funerals for me, i didnt want to start the liquid diet and then post op carrying more weight than i needed to be

im now almost 15 months post op and i can manage most foods at much smaller amounts

its my birthday today and im going out to dinner. i shall be having the steak and vegetables and i will have a couple of mouthfuls of my birthday cake, my family can eat up all the rest
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I was out of town at a friends house that was during Memorial Day weekend before I had to start my 2 week pre op liquid diet for surgery prep back in 2012. I had been on a 1200 cal diet from end of Jan 2012 till then. I did eat more than I usually do during that weekend and probably ate more bread than usual since I had heard bread or rolls weren't easy to eat after sleeve. I don't know if I would call it a "food funeral" cause I never did think any food with be not allowed post op with my WLS program. There are no forbidden foods only foods in moderation is their thinking. I agree.
    Good luck!
    At almost 3 years post op coming up in June 2015 I can eat any food I like. I just have to remember to eat it in small portion and make sure to log all the foods I eat here on MFP.
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    joysie1970 wrote: »
    Well I can honestly say tomorrow is surgery day and I didn't hold any food funerals - but I think tonight in my journaling I may write a euology to my big fat butt ;) and all those old habits I want to die off...symbolic yes and hopeful and my way of putting it into motion for good this time!

Best of luck today!!!!!
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    You don't have to give up that part of your life. I go out to eat probably 3 times a week and I eat a wide variety of stuff. Its a matter of picking things that match your plan. This is not a short term diet, it's a new way of life and I believe that you have to allow yourself to live. I know that if I didn't allow myself variety then I would go back to binge eating. I am in April's camp here. I allow occasional treats if they are worth it to me but stick mostly to my plan. I think that is what my surgery has helped with most, the ability to tell if something is actually worth it to me rather than just being an equal opportunity binger.

I agree with jm1fullerton. To say you're NEVER going to eat certain foods again is unrealistic. Temptations will arise (they already have for me and I'm only 3 weeks out) Just try to stick to your plan 80-90% of the time so that when you have that occasional ice cream or sandwich you can just enjoy it and move on.

I personally went to a buffet a few days before my liquid diet. Since I had been eating fairly healthy the 2 months prior it didn't feel as "fun" but I did enjoy myself. I wouldn't call it a food "funeral" but it's unlikely I'll be hitting a surf 'n turf buffet anytime soon!
  • lmryoung
    lmryoung Posts: 47 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I don't know that I had a food funeral before I started this liver reduction diet, but there were a few things I wanted to eat beforehand. I didn't overdo anything and still worked to keep my weight on a downward trend because I didn't want to gain any weight and risk my chance of getting surgery - my surgeon apparently doesn't mess around.
  • blairmundy
    blairmundy Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I had a pizza dinner one night, one last big Mexican food thing another, but it wasn't that out of the ordinary except for I knew it to be the last. I also used to not eat red meat or pork at all so I had my first cheeseburger in 10 years. Now post op I am eating some small amounts of pork and it feels like I've added options as well as having some taken away. Eating much less makes me feel like some occasional pork is ok where as before I was against it.

Luna- I had the same issue with diet dr. pepper. I actually drank it up until the day before surgery and the painkillers helped my withdrawal. They make caffeinated crystal light now (I hate coffee and tea) and I have it occasionally for a pick me up. Diet soda is my only craving that still makes me annoyed at the surgery. Strong addiction stuff there.
  • IslandSneezerooo
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Great responses!

I'm taking the stance that there are certain foods I'll never eat again because being healthy and well is that important to me. I NEVER want to be 290+ lbs ever again. I've successfully eliminated many foods completely 100% for food allergies, with relative ease, over the years so I know it's possible (wheat, whey, soy, artificial sweeteners, banana, peanuts, hazelnuts, melons, carrots, MSG...). I can do no sweeteners and no high GI carbs... Totally do-able. I know how to bake/cook with alternatives and turn literally any recipe into an allergy safe version, so no reason I can't do it with carbs too!! It's all just been excuses I make to continue eating foods that are harming me...

Even though I don't have a surgery date yet I decided Easter would be my "food funeral"... I ate as much chocolate and candy as I wanted, had a yummy family bbq on Friday, yesterday I had my last Dr Pepper. I'm starting a serious LCHF Keto way of eating today... Going cold turkey now so it's normal to me by the time I have surgery...
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I did not. I knew going in that for me personally, the only way to be successful at this was to accept that there are certain foods I cannot control myself with. They are my trigger foods. So I decided I will no longer eat those few things and I don't. For instance, I havn't had ice cream in 4 years and do not plan on reintroducing it into my life again. It's one of those trigger foods for me. Oddly enough I do not feel deprived in the least and I think that's because this decission was made by me and me alone. I'm not being forced by some program this time. It's all my choice this time. And I don't crave it either or the flavored chips, etc. Food funerals may work for some people, but not for me. For me it was all about finally being able to take and keep control of the food rather than the food controlling me.