What's for dinner?

Options
taelor2
taelor2 Posts: 272 Member
I hate having to figure what's for dinner at last minute, making sure that everything is under my goal for the day. And tonight was one of these nights due to the flu running around here. So tonight we had boneless pork chops (weighing 2oz each) with lemon and lime juice. Baby carrots (nothing on them) and asparagus, spinkled with garlic. So dinner came in under 300 calorie. What did you guys have? Do you weekly plan or spur of the moment? Do you a have a low calorie meal you go to?

Replies

• MinxyNZ
    MinxyNZ Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I am making a teriyaki pork stirfry (without the rice / noodles) with plenty of zucchini and carrots. I'd like to find another asian sauce I like with lower sodium. Might pick up a black bean sauce this week.
  • sveltewisher
    sveltewisher Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    We ate leftover lamb for Easter dinner yesterday.

I shop weekly so there are a couple of meals and good, healthy food in the house. In an ideal world, I would like to plan my meals out the night before. Unfortunately, not usually the case. If I eat a healthy breakfast, the rest falls in place for me.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Not your ordinary meatloaf. That's the name of the recipe. :lol:http://paleonewbie.com/not-your-ordinary-meatloaf/ It was pretty tasty for a first time last minute recipe (I had forgotten about the hamburger in the fridge!).
  • lindadprice
    lindadprice Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I plan two meals to cook a week. I try to have meals with veggies. Also I'm a vegetarian so I have to be creative. Tonight I hade pasta with mushrooms, peas, and squash. I didn't follow the recipe and I wish I bought double the veggies. I bought half the amount. The other meal I had this week prepared was fajitas. Cooked onions and peppers and fake meat. My husband actually eats the fake meat even though he's a meat eater.
    I wish I could cook a meal for the week but I like to cook fresh and than have leftovers.
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Chicken breast and roasted veggies
  • AngieD6731
    Options
    Green beans and boneless/skinless thighs
  • RaeBeeBaby
    RaeBeeBaby Posts: 4,245 Member
    Options
    Easter leftovers - about 3 oz of turkey breast, 2 oz lean ham, coleslaw made with broccoli, brussel sprouts and cabbage, and about 1/4 cup of baked beans.

I usually meal prep on Sunday. I make a couple healthy vegetarian salads (chickpea, veggies and quinoa, cabbage/apple slaw or a similar variation), chop a bunch of veggies and make some type of protein. Sometimes I roast chicken breasts or lean pork chops or put a beef roast in the crockpot. I'll use the meat plus veggies and salads as my meal bases for the week and just supplement with fresh fruit, grains and yogurt throughout the week. I don't eat much cheese or milk and I'm primarily gluten-free.

With Sunday being Easter I didn't do my usual meal prep, so basically just cleaning out the fridge right now. Will re-assess tomorrow and see what I've got left in the produce department.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    MinxyNZ wrote: »
    I am making a teriyaki pork stirfry (without the rice / noodles) with plenty of zucchini and carrots. I'd like to find another asian sauce I like with lower sodium. Might pick up a black bean sauce this week.

Have you tried a Thai peanut sauce? Lots of different recipes online, but I make mine with peanut butter, red curry paste, coconut milk and vinegar, sometimes add a little soy sauce. I use this for dipping sauce and for stir fry. (I use the lower sodium soy sauce.)
  • Jmoullet1
    Jmoullet1 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I roughly plan my meals out a week in advance. That way when I do my weekly grocery shopping I can get the items I may need. They aren't written in stone though - our go to when all else fails is chicken breasts, veggies or salad and a side like quinoa or cous cous or a potato of some type. We try and not use boxed or prepared foods as much as possible so I play around a lot with homemade marinades/dressings and sauces so that I can control what goes in them. Tonight we are having Portobello mushroom pizzas :)
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have a family of 4-8, so I have to plan! Lol. Yeah, that's confusing! My bf has 2 boys that go between my house and their mother's house every 2 days, and they alternate weekends. My oldest 2 boys go between my house and their father's house every other day, and we alternate weekends. I have a 3rd son who lost his dad when I was still pregnant with him, so he stays with me all the time, and my bf and I have a 3 Year old together. I go weekly grocery shopping and they to buy stuff that they will all eat...and that may be the most difficult part! I have a couple that are ridiculously picky eaters.

I made a pizza with a gluten free crust. 2 eggs, 1 c shredded parmesan, 8 oz cream cheese. It was pretty good, high in protein, but also very high in calories! It mixes like a thick cake batter, and you have to bake it @ 350 for 25-30 minutes first, then add your toppings. 2 of the boys didn't like it, but that's because I put onion and bell pepper on it, and used Turkey pepperoni. It wasn't supposed to be for them anyways! Lol. I'm the one going low carb, high protein.
  • taelor2
    Options
    So for dinner tonight we have philly cheesesteak stuffed green peppers but with chicken instead of steak. Hopefully my picky eater will enjoy this as well!
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    My hubs does most of the cooking, I noticed he took out a couple of steaks so its steaks for dinner tonight! Most likely with a baked potato & some veggie.
  • taelor2
    Options
    My hubby can't cook, we wouldn't eat if it was left up to him (or have takeout) lol.
  • ttenekaj6
    Options
    Yummy chicken stir fry.
  • RaeBeeBaby
    Options
    Roasted turkey with sautéed broccolini, mushrooms and greens. Still working on eating up the healthy coleslaw from Easter, but at least I made it so I know it's lower cal than the usual coleslaw.
  • makrogurl
    makrogurl Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Tonight is leftover pork tenderloin with 1/2 a sweet potato and broccoli.
  • kayjosh2422
    kayjosh2422 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Ham, egg white and avocado on a slice of whole grain bread. Kinda a comfort food night
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    More Not Your Ordinary Meatloaf, but with roasted bell peppers, and sriracha with microwaved spiced red potatoes
  • Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Beef roast with mixed veggies tonight...and some potato bread rolls. Those are the bad part of dinner, but I'll call this my cheat night. I haven't had any in a LONG time, so I think I deserve it. I went over my 1200, but not over what I walked off this morning. Plus, I'm getting ready to go for another walk again.
  • ACSL3
    ACSL3 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Grilled salmon with a salad and asian pear for dessert.

I live on a ship, so I don't cook my own food. They generally have a lot of stuff on the line, so I have to try to chose the healthiest option and then have the willpower to not get the unhealthy stuff. They almost always have a salad bar though which can be helpful.