Avoid veggies to keep carbs down?

Options
I'm actually starting to miss broccoli cauliflower and salads as I've stopped eating vegetables bc it's one of the ways I keep my carb count down, is this healthy, is it ok to have veggie carbs bc of the fiber? Should I eat them and not worry about the carb count that they add?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    If you like vegetables, and they don't cause you problems, then you're probably fine eating them. How much are you planning on eating that it's going to significantly impact your carb count?
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    For what carb number are you striving? Are you looking at total carbs or net (net =total minus fiber)? Several threads have discussed this. What goals are you trying to achieve by limiting carbs: weight loss, blood glucose control, something else? As FIT_GOAT (I think) wrote: it's not a contest with a medal to the lowest number.

Today according to my logs I've had 44 net carbs. I've had Greek yogurt, blueberries, ground flax seed, walnuts, Macadamia nuts, hazelnuts, mixed greens, sweet peppers, olives, tomatoes, a bit of carrot & potato in my lamb stew, skim milk and a glass of cabernet. I didn't measure my blood glucose today but from experience none of my meals spiked it above my self imposed limits.

My goal: if I plot the duration of life on the x-axis and the quality of life on the y-axis, is to integrate my life so as to maximize the area under the curve. What is your goal?
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I aim for 30g a day using Net carbs. I eat broccoli ,cauliflower, spinach, kale, green beans, olives, cucumbers, lettuce (I don't even bother to count that), zucchini ...
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    It's OK to cut back on veggies as long as you're getting adequate nutrition.

One thing you may notice as you reduce veggie intake -- a reduction of bloating and flatulence. That indigestible fiber is feeding your gut bacteria. Sometimes, the population may grow too large. Nuke 'em once in a while. :) (Vinegar helps too.)