Boosting Fiber Intake On Low Carb Diets?

Options
mls100771
mls100771 Posts: 125 Member
Hello All,

I was wondering if you could offer some suggestions on boosting my fiber intake. I am going to pick up a fiber supplement, but those typically offer only 3-4 grams per serving. My entire food intake for the day only nets me about 7 grams of fiber.

Thanks,

Mike

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    You don't really need fiber. The idea that you need tons and tons of fiber is a myth perpetuated by cereal companies (seriously, Kellogg had this unnatural infatuation with bowel movements and the idea that solid stool caused a desire for sex; you can't make this stuff up). Besides, fiber supplements are usually insoluble fiber, which is the nutritional equivalent of packing peanuts (literally, they're fecal filler). The more beneficial one is soluble fiber, which feeds gut flora.

If you're worried about fiber intake for whatever reason, just make sure your carbs are from fiberous vegetables with low sugar content (leafy greens are a good one, as are cruciferous vegetables).

If you're experiencing constipation, then you're probably not eating enough fat. Try a spoonful of coconut oil once or twice a day to get things moving in the short term while you tweak your diet. The extra fat should help, and coconut oil has a laxative effect and might help the immediate front.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Mike I have been doing a lot of reading and testing of cancer prevention/treatment protocols and now I have to agree with Dragonwolf's post above about fiber not a real requirement for good health.

I do put about 5 tablespoons of coconut oil in my first cup of coffee daily. The wife and picked up several bags of unsweetened coconut flakes. While 2 tablespoons have 105 calories with 90 being from fat plus 4 carbs and 4 grams of Dietary Fiber. Since they were complaining about me not eating the coconut after them buying it I am killing two birds with one stone now. :)

Most days I take 8-16 capsules of fish oil as well.

At first I cut out the carbs and did not make up all of the calories with Fats but when I got the Fat up to 80% of calories things moved OK. The gallon of water a day is key in my case as well.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I like broccoli for my fibre, usually topped with butter AND cheese.
    I also eat golden flax seeds mixed with cinnamon as a snack.
    Both fit into my diet, and the net carbs end up being negligible for them. :)

-T.