Strength training causing bruising?

Options
lazieats
lazieats Posts: 185 Member
Newb with a question to the more experienced:
I'm on day 9 of a new strength training program. I've found three pretty gnarly bruises on my body within the last four days. One looks like I took a baseball bat to the side of my upper forearm. I'm not a klutz, so bruises are an oddity on me and I usually remember where I got them. These are on my arms and leg. Could this be a side effect of lifting? Could I be neglecting a nutrient I need?

Replies

• missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I've gotten lots of bruises along the way but most I know where they came from but not all. My shins bruise pretty easily from just resting against the barbell during deadlifts.
  • nakima
    nakima Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had a friend who had this same problem and her Dr. told her she had thin blood and her hormones were out of balance but she was going through menopause. I would stay on the safe side and ask your Dr.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I had some mysterious bruises when I first started. They were across my upper arms, just above my elbow. Looked like someone had grabbed me and shaken me! I couldn't figure out where they came from and my boyfriend was a bit freaked out. Then one day I was at the cable crossover machine and.... Yeah, it was the cable. I never noticed because I was so focused on my reps. Could it be something like that? A minor but repetitive motion?
  • lazieats
    lazieats Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    My hormones are always a bit wonky, so I think nakima may be on to something. I only use free weights so I don't think it's anything I could be something I'm doing while lifting, Mouse_Potato, but I'll pay a lot better attention from now on to see if I might, indeed, be doing it to myself. Because, yeah, the biggest one is just below the elbow and looked like I was grabbed when it first started to blossom. It's pretty creepy to look at.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Planks on an uneven surface? I do free weights myself, but when I did NROL4W there were a few cable exercises.