Cooking tips

Options
Stacivogue
Stacivogue Posts: 325 Member
So....just got a bunch of food. Any tips for making the oatmeal, or the soups?

Replies

• VTLois
    VTLois Posts: 49
    Options
    I've been covering my chicken soup with water, stir, place in fridge for hours or till the next day. Then it totally rehydrates itself and all I have to do is nuke it for 30 sec-a minute. It's really creamy and is turning into one of my favs.

The oatmeal I just add Splenda to, sometimes.
  • bargainshpr
    bargainshpr Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Tips on fixing the oatmeal would be greatly appreciated. Right now I add about half the water the package calls for and its a glue paste like consistency. If I add any more water its soupy. The oats don't fluff up. Thanks
  • dugrn
    dugrn Posts: 47
    Options
    I used to let things soak overnight but recently I purchased a little corning ware crock with a lid. now i boil the water, add the packet and cover for 1 hour. seems to work just as well. i have read where people do the same thing with a thermos.
  • PippaJo_
    PippaJo_ Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I only soak the soups for a couple of hours, using the hot water from the cooler at work. When I'm ready to eat, I just nuke for 1 minute, and they're fine.

I generally like the oatmeals, but then, I like my oatmeal lumpy and glue-y to begin with, ha ha! So I actually probably use LESS water than called for, and only nuke for a minute.

I'm not fond of the peach oatmeal though (it tastes 'dusty' somehow, and I think I expect it to be sweeter), but what I've done with that is brew some Lipton Island Mango & Peach tea, add some Truvia to that, and then use that for the liquid for the peach oatmeal. It vastly improves it, though it does add a couple carbs to an already-higher-carb meal.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I use the oatmeal to make muffins.
    I got chastised on the Medifast forum because of a little pumpkin, 1/12th a can per muffin is apparently not acceptable for those who must be 100% on plan, whatever, I got the recipe from my coach. (Pumpking was previoulsy a "green" but has since been removed from the "green" list.) I never got any MF eggs and just substituted one real egg. I usually make a double batch, my wife and I love them.

> >4 packets any MF oatmeal except blueberry
    > > 1 packet MF eggs
    > >1 packet vanilla shake or chai latte
    > >1 tbsp baking powder
    > >1/2 can pumpkin (7 oz)
    > >1/4 tsp nutmeg
    > >1/4 tsp cinnamon
    > >1/2 cups water
    > >
    > >Preheat oven to 375. Pam spray a muffin tin that holds 6 muffins and fill
    > >with muffin mix. Bake 15-20 minutes. (I Bake them for at least 20 minutes.)
    > >
    > >One muffin = one meal (the nutmeg and cinnamon are condiments). The pumpkin
    > >is a little bit of you green. You can eliminate the pumkin and spices just increase the wate 1/4 cup.

Never ate another batch of oatmeal after my first muffins.
    And the soup(s), if I have time I'll simmer them on the stove for 20-30 minutes, or soak them for a good hour or two and then nuke.