New to groups

Options
Hi everyone. I am so tired of being fat and tired, I just want to be healthy! I have lost weight in the past on the Atkins diet but gained it all back and then some after stopping it. I know all the right things to do: eat less, exercise, drink water, get enough sleep, etc., but have had such a hard time staying motivated. I know this needs to be a lifestyle change. I joined MFP a few weeks ago and it has been a tremendous help with staying aware of how much I am eating, and I've even started drinking water (I've never been a water drinker), so I know I am on the right track. Now if I can just get motivated to move. I work out of my home and seem to spend most of the day sitting. Anyhow, I usually tend to be more of a reader with these kind of things rather than a participant, but I am hoping that by participating, it will keep me more accountable. I would love to lose around 50 pounds. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated! :smile: I can't really say if I've gone through menopause or not, I had a partial hysterectomy when I was around 30 so I don't have periods, I'm 53 now. Not sure how else to tell.

Replies

• issypops
    issypops Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm fairly new around here too and I can relate to the' fed up of being fat and tired'. I'm hoping by getting involved in the MFP community will give me the tools and support to make some real changes in my lifestyle, but I'm realistic that 50 years of bad habits are not going to stop overnight. I'm working on the diet at the moment but I also need to tackle my activity levels.

Unfortunately I'm in the throes of peri-menopause and hating every minute of it, rollon the menopause.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you want some company on the way
    Angela
  • KimberlyAndrews1
    KimberlyAndrews1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hello all! I am 48 and I think in the beginning stages of Peri-Menopause. I was overweight back in 2007 and lost 25 pounds in 2008. Then I got married and started slowly gaining again in 2009. Only this time I gained back the 27 pounds, plus about 10 more. I use to be an exercise buff and was in great shape all until I hit 40. I use to could eat whatever I wanted as long as I worked out 4 days a week. But since turning 40 it's been all downhill. The least little thing I eat I gain weight. And the exhaustion and extreme fatigue I feel is horrific. I have a very hard time just mustering up the energy to walk 3-5 days a week. I take vitamins, have tried green smoothies, exercise, get plenty of sleep and still fatigue. I think I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it's that bad. Anyway, I weigh about 184 right now. Have lost 3 pounds total since joining here. Not that great in two months time. I've been keeping my calories under my goal often. And trying to walk 3-5 days a week, but still only 3 pounds in two months. Kind of discouraging, but I'm keeping on! My first goal is to get to 160, then 150 and hopefully 140. Anything less that that I'll be totally thrilled! But I want to at least get to 150. Looking forward to all the great stories, support and posts here!
  • tubbytuker
    tubbytuker Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I am so tired of being fat and tired, I just want to be healthy! I have lost weight in the past on the Atkins diet but gained it all back and then some after stopping it. I know all the right things to do: eat less, exercise, drink water, get enough sleep, etc., but have had such a hard time staying motivated. I know this needs to be a lifestyle change. I joined MFP a few weeks ago and it has been a tremendous help with staying aware of how much I am eating, and I've even started drinking water (I've never been a water drinker), so I know I am on the right track. Now if I can just get motivated to move. I work out of my home and seem to spend most of the day sitting. Anyhow, I usually tend to be more of a reader with these kind of things rather than a participant, but I am hoping that by participating, it will keep me more accountable. I would love to lose around 50 pounds. Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated! :smile: I can't really say if I've gone through menopause or not, I had a partial hysterectomy when I was around 30 so I don't have periods, I'm 53 now. Not sure how else to tell.
    Hi - not that I am an expert but are you having night sweats? hot flashes? A number of women I know told me that the night sweats come after your period is done. Did you experience them after your hysterectomy? What does your doctor say? There is a test that can be done.
  • Kincar
    Kincar Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group. I've had a very discouraging year. If you look at my pictures on MFP you'll see how I looked a year ago after I lost 20 lbs. Despite not changing my eating habits much at all, I started packing on pounds. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't weighed myself, but very few of my clothes fit me anymore.

Blood work showed my estradiol and progesterone are low, while my cortisol levels are high. She changed my BCP to one with higher doses of hormones in order to fix the levels. Nothing so far, but she did say it would take 2 or 3 months before we'll know if it works. I haven't tried other supplements, but I'm going to.

I'm tired of feeling as though I'm not myself. I'm tired of being exhausted. I want to be me again.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. I'm new to the group. I've had a very discouraging year. If you look at my pictures on MFP you'll see how I looked a year ago after I lost 20 lbs. Despite not changing my eating habits much at all, I started packing on pounds. I'm now the heaviest I've ever been. I haven't weighed myself, but very few of my clothes fit me anymore.

Blood work showed my estradiol and progesterone are low, while my cortisol levels are high. She changed my BCP to one with higher doses of hormones in order to fix the levels. Nothing so far, but she did say it would take 2 or 3 months before we'll know if it works. I haven't tried other supplements, but I'm going to.

I'm tired of feeling as though I'm not myself. I'm tired of being exhausted. I want to be me again.
    Hi and welcome to the group! I totally understand. I have been religiously logging, lifting, and running for 1.5 years. Today I measured again, and everything increased. Again.
    I hear you!
    This sucks.
    Hope what you're doing works. BC didn't work for me. But it seems to for some!
  • sivapc
    sivapc Posts: 12
    Options

Hi Kincar,
    Just started this journey myself, and hear your frustration! I was wondering are you seeing any results since your post last month?
  • sivapc
    sivapc Posts: 12
    Options
    Hello all! I am 48 and I think in the beginning stages of Peri-Menopause. I was overweight back in 2007 and lost 25 pounds in 2008. Then I got married and started slowly gaining again in 2009. Only this time I gained back the 27 pounds, plus about 10 more. I use to be an exercise buff and was in great shape all until I hit 40. I use to could eat whatever I wanted as long as I worked out 4 days a week. But since turning 40 it's been all downhill. The least little thing I eat I gain weight. And the exhaustion and extreme fatigue I feel is horrific. I have a very hard time just mustering up the energy to walk 3-5 days a week. I take vitamins, have tried green smoothies, exercise, get plenty of sleep and still fatigue. I think I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, it's that bad. Anyway, I weigh about 184 right now. Have lost 3 pounds total since joining here. Not that great in two months time. I've been keeping my calories under my goal often. And trying to walk 3-5 days a week, but still only 3 pounds in two months. Kind of discouraging, but I'm keeping on! My first goal is to get to 160, then 150 and hopefully 140. Anything less that that I'll be totally thrilled! But I want to at least get to 150. Looking forward to all the great stories, support and posts here!

Have you considered getting your hormone levels checked? I believe you when you say you're putting in all this effort and not seeing results. I've been going through that too and I'm hoping that getting hormones in balance will help.
  • tammyclinch
    tammyclinch Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    hi new here .. and feel like i am going out of my head..is it hormonres or what..