Can run 10 mins at 4mph. Where should I start?

Options
Tubbs216
Tubbs216 Posts: 6,597 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I want to start running, and this morning on the treadmill I challenged myself a bit more than I have for a while. Turns out I was able to run 10 minutes at 4mph, walked for 5 minutes, then ran another 10 mins.

I was planning on starting C25K next week, but I'm wondering if I would do better to keep doing what I'm doing, but increasing the run time by 30 secs to 1 min each run?

Thanks for any pointers.

(Edited to add that yes, I'm aware that 4mph is walking pace for a lot of people :) )

Replies

• Brans34
    Brans34 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Good question! And btw... that is NOT walking speed for me! Lol. I have short legs. That's a slow jog, which is good for building cardio.
    I would personally work on shortening your walking time in between, rather than lengthening the running time. Then, once you get to be able to run for the 20 minutes straight, THEN start increasing running time. That's just my opinion, though.
    And way to go for being able to go 10 minutes straight!
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Pedantically-- a run is if neither foot has contact with the ground at between toe-off and heel/midfoot strike during active propulsion phase of the gait cycle.

Start the C25K-- running for distance, not for time.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Look at the C25k plan you would use. Find a day that looks similar to what you are able to do now. (maybe in week 4 or 5?) You can always drop down to an earlier day if that one was too challenging, or skip ahead if it's too easy.
  • Tubbs216
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Ooh, didn't see there were any replies here. Thanks!

Next time I thought I'd see how far I could go. I managed 20 mins at 4mph! Quite happy about that. Is it better now to increase running time at 4mph, or increase speed over 20 mins?
  • ftrobbie
    ftrobbie Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »

Next time I thought I'd see how far I could go. I managed 20 mins at 4mph! Quite happy about that. Is it better now to increase running time at 4mph, or increase speed over 20 mins?

More time on feet, you need to improve your cardiovascular fitness. Doing more at the same or slower pace will serve you better at the moment.

• Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options

Running time
  • Tubbs216
    Options
    ftrobbie wrote: »

More time on feet, you need to improve your cardiovascular fitness. Doing more at the same or slower pace will serve you better at the moment.
    Just_Ceci wrote: »

Running time

Thanks, both! I'll try to add a few mins per week, 3 runs per week.