Muscles and body image (woman)

Options
CoachFrenchie
CoachFrenchie Posts: 135 Member
well, let's face it. I have muscles. Like a lot of muscles. I train hard, and eat right. So... My issue is the way people perceive me, and call me. Since I lift heavy, and have the muscles to prove it, i have been call at the gym "beast", " machine", " tank", etc... Always with admiration, true, but i dislike theses words. I am very much a girly girl, heels and dresses at work. How should I respond without being rude that these titles hurt my feelings? Thank you for any input.

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think including context when it happens.

Isn't that the correct location and activities for those types of comments?
    Listen to others talk to each other, isn't it the same?

I'm betting if you wandered in to the lifting area still wearing your heels and dresses from work, like checking something out, pretending you left something, ect - you'd get very different comments.
    And even though the location and folks is the same, merely that change would cause it.

Same at work, do you get those comments at work like at the gym? Likely not, though tad more dangerous there depending on who might say it.
    Now, what if you team builder with physical activity and you wore more gym clothes, what would the comments be.

I think just sharing how you feel is about it - and hope that everyone that is so used to giving complements in that manner remember not to for you. And cutting them some slack if they mess up, knowing it's purely a compliment in context.
  • AbsoluteTara79
    AbsoluteTara79 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I'm of the mindset that we should all accept compliments even if they're poorly packaged and delivered.

And beast > you go girl.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Words like 'beast' and 'machine' usually just mean that your work ethic or strength is being complemented - nothing to do with aesthetics.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I certainly don't have this problem--I'd be more likely to be called wimp!

But seriously, I wish there were more "models" of ordinary women with good fitness to inspire us, for comparison, for body image, etc. it seems the only standards we have are Hollywood stars and runway models, neither of which is necessarily a good goal for us ladies. (And especially not for young women!) And fitness/figure contests are not what I'm talking about either. Just regular, healthy weight , healthy bodies women.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I think it means you're rocking those muscles
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Words like 'beast' and 'machine' usually just mean that your work ethic or strength is being complemented - nothing to do with aesthetics.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not a woman but I'd take the compliments along with their intent. They are essentially telling you that you are awesome and you are getting offended by it.