How long to get back into keto?

So I fell off the keto wagon over the weekend (sunny day, bottle of beer, no regrets!)...but was wondering how long it took people to get back into keto? When I first started the side effects were pretty severe (nausea, dry lips, dizzy) but this time around I've none of that despite keeping the carbs to 20g. Do you think it's because this time I know about electrolyte drinks, so I don't feel as rough? Or will it take my body longer to get back into it?!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    You might not have bumped out of Keto altogether, just out of adaption. I know I did that, so I had no readjustment period, just had to readapt...
  • ldmoor
    ldmoor Posts: 152 Member
    I went off plan on Tuesday, back on Wed to full plan. This morning I was at trace. Hoping by the end of tomorrow that I'm in full burn mode again.
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    Oh thanks guys. Bought some keto sticks and am back at trace...really hungry and feel a bit keto flu-y so ignoring the calories until I'm back in full swing!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Bought some keto sticks and am back at trace...

Ketostix don't work like that

• sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    one bottle of beer shouldn't derail you too badly, unless you are really new to this (less than 4 weeks w/o going off). get some cardio exercise, and go right back to plan.
  • kmca1803
    kmca1803 Posts: 77 Member
    I (shamefully) had a 3 day binge of eating far too many high carb foods and was out of keto straight away. I have been adapted for some time though. It is now day 4 and I'm still getting back into ketosis, as per my blood ketone measurements!
    Admittedly, my deviation was much greater than yours. I always end up feeling that eating about a thousand grams of carbs wasn't worth it when I'm doing the hard work of getting back into ketosis......It obviously takes me a while to burn off the big glycogen restock I had!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    kirkor wrote: »

Ketostix don't work ....

there you go
  • stevieedge2015
    stevieedge2015 Posts: 46 Member
    nill4me wrote: »
    kirkor wrote: »

Ketostix don't work ....

there you go

Oh, what a waste of 7 euro! Is that because it's a different type of ketone that's release dinghy first few days?
    kmca1803 wrote: »
    I (shamefully) had a 3 day binge of eating far too many high carb foods and was out of keto straight away. I have been adapted for some time though. It is now day 4 and I'm still getting back into ketosis, as per my blood ketone measurements!
    Admittedly, my deviation was much greater than yours. I always end up feeling that eating about a thousand grams of carbs wasn't worth it when I'm doing the hard work of getting back into ketosis......It obviously takes me a while to burn off the big glycogen restock I had!

Kmca...oh I had much more than a bottle of beer. It wasa bank holiday weekend/wedding/birthday binge fest. The thing is I don't think I properly enjoyed any of the carbs I ate (including a whole box of chocs), I was just compulsively eating - which I don't seem to do on low carb. I don't know if it's a psychological or physical addiction but sugar absolutely melts my will power, and I feel much calmer on keto and less compulsive around food.
  • GalactusEmpire
    GalactusEmpire Posts: 90 Member
    Over St Patricks day I went off the wagon as well. I drank a ton of beer and ate corned beef and potatoes. It was really yummy and I had a blast and don't regret it one bit. I know for a fact I put myself out of Keto but it's just a part of life. Whether it takes you 2 weeks to get back in, or 2 months, or 2 days. I say just keep doing your low carb thing and it'll happen eventually.

To be perfectly honest, I don't know a difference whether I am in ketosis or not. I have followed keto several months to a perfect example, eating my macros perfectly. To me it doesn't make me feel any different than if I eat cheeseburgers and frenchfries. I just notice I lose more weight if I keep a low carb diet.