Why am I SO HUNGRY?!

Options
LoLoGB
LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
I used to eat 1200 calories and not be hungry and yes I did some work outs. Now I eat 1400-1500 (TDEE -15% is 1380) and work out 3x week weight lifting but I am STARVING. Even at 1500 I am SUPER hungry and stomach growls all night and can wake me up. What gives??

Replies

• agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you aren't underestimating your TDEE? If you lift 3x a week 1500 seems like a pretty small amount to eat. Can you give us your stats? How are you calculating your TDEE?
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    When someone begins increasing calories, the body responds by speeding up and your hunger will return. This is a great sign that your metabolism is picking up. Your hunger levels were suppressed when eating low calorie. I'm not sure your stats but your calorie level still seems really low - you probably need to keep increasing more. If you're that hungry, then eat! Large calorie deficits will work against your fitness goals.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Also means your workouts are probably causing some real damage now that requires real repair and more calories.
    Body would like you to be eating in surplus actually.

So fight it if TDEE estimate is good and you are eating in deficit.

Meal makeup could be a problem too. Heavy on carbs, or carbs eaten first, could make you feel hungry soon after when insulin drops after too long and blood sugar is too low.
    Or meal timing could be better to be around the workouts, or the repair the next day too.

I know being shorter you have smaller TDEE, but maybe it's more than thought.
    Is this the 30 min lifting programs?
    If so, probably 100-120 cal burn for that time x 3 days = 300 - 360 cal burn weekly from this exercise.
    300 - 360 / 7 days = 43 - 51 extra calories daily.

Ya, not a whole lot if TDEE is already smaller from being shorter.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I am 5'4", 142lb. Scooby has me at the:
    BMR 1220
    TDEE: 1677
    -15%: 1426

@Jennbecca33 oooh! I hope it's because my metabolism is speeding back up! That would be awesome!!

Yes @heybales these are my 30 min work outs 3x week. That's only 1.5 hrs activity. I had in another 1.5 for normal life. So I guesstimate on Scooby at 1-3 light activity. I have a desk job where I legit sit all day. At home, outside of exercise, I am mainly planted on the couch (don't judge- I have a slight disability and happy to be able to exercise as much as I can). So to me Scooby seems accurate. I also eat back the calories from my workout which isn't much....usually 85-100 per MFP.

I don't eat many carbs- maybe 30%. I eat protein first with my fat and then carbs. 30:35:35 macro.
  • agardengrrrl
    agardengrrrl Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I'm getting different numbers for you using the Scooby calculator (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/)...
    Height: 64 inches
    Weight: 142
    Activity: Light

I get
    BMR: 1397
    TDEE: 1921
    15% cut: 1633

I decided to do a "reset" and eat at my maintenance calories for a while so I could find my actual TDEE, rather than the estimate you get from calculators. I have been eating about 50 calories more than my estimated TDEE for the last couple of weeks and haven't gained weight. Your TDEE might be more than you think!
  • heybales
    Options
    Oh, don't eat back your exercise calories unless it's a workout totally extra not included in your TDEE estimate.
    Your lifting already is accounted for, don't eat those back and wipe out your deficit.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    @agardengrrrl you're right. Odd. I did it before and have the screen shot and it is as I reported above. But today when I did it it does match yours. All info entered was the same both times. I'm so confused- I wonder if it was down or messed up or something the first time?! Well that can solve the hunger issue
  • LoLoGB
    Options

@heybales I answered you too but my whole response isn't showing above? How do I keep my long posts so they show?
  • heybales
    Options
    LoLoGB wrote: »
    @heybales I answered you too but my whole response isn't showing above? How do I keep my long posts so they show?

Not sure what the issue was - it's not contained in the body of above message now anyway.