Strep throat

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
Hi all. For the last couple of days I've been down with a truly evil Strep throat. I've hardly eaten anything for two days but I'm not hungry at all. Just achy all over. Does anyone know some good home remedies that won't knock me out of ketosis. Everything I've read so far involves sweets or honey.

Appreciate all the help I can get.

Replies

• IslandSneezerooo
    IslandSneezerooo Posts: 268 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Gargle salt water... Sip on hot lemon tea... Get well soon!!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Coconut oil helps me in times like that.
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Ginger-lemon tea is very helpful for respiratory and tummy issues. I leave the tea bag in to steep as I drink so I get all the benefit from it. Hope you feel better soon! <3
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all your help. I feel lots better now. No more fever and aching joints. I'm sure I'll be able to eat tomorrow. I have to say though that being sick while doing keto is way cool. If I had been on any other diet I'd have gone crazy with hunger by now. But here I am on day three eating less than 500 calories and I feel fine. Apart from the crazy throat, that is. :)
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I had really bad strep on New Year's and had to go to the ER because my throat closed. Unfortunately all the medicines they gave me were liquid and had sugars in them. :(
    I just made it my priority to get better though, and tried to feed my body as best as I could.

Suggestions:
    Broth + sausage / meats + FRESH SAGE + garlic. Bonus points for some spinach or kale. This can still be keto friendly and feels so good when you're sick and your throat is sore. I like to add extra olive oil to it now for MOAR FATS.
    Tea. I used some of the fresh sage and put it into a tea infuser, then steeped it with a bag of peppermint tea. Very soothing.
    I second ginger lemon tea.
    Remember that your body still needs fuel to repair and try hard to keep your calories up.
    Sugar-free gelatin is good, too. I make my own with unsweetened gelatin powder + tea and then serve it with heavy cream on top. If you really can't deal, then the sugar-free Jello or Juicy Jel snacks will do. I had those at first when I was sick, but I really don't like that they use aspartame for sweetener in them.

I hope this helps, and get better.

-T.