Started keto

Options
erikgoya
erikgoya Posts: 77 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
But no keto-flu.
Someone please explain.
Ketostix tell me I've got moderate amounts of ketones, so I'm clearly not screwing up there (I hope).
Am I just lucky and skipped past the crappy no good feeling part of it, or...what? If so, no complaints, but I don't feel any sort of "spike" in energy that I've heard about.
Granted, I dont' think my carbs have actually gone lower than 25-30 grams so far (I started keto last week).
I dunno, anyone have any insight?

I don't know if my journal is open or not, but I haven't really started logging my food entries yet, so there's no info there.

Replies

• Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    It could be that you've lucked out and aren't getting keto flu, or it could be that you're one of the lucky ones who gets it when you're least expecting it once your glycogen stores are depleted.

Or, it could be that you haven't actually dropped your carbs low enough to really flip the switch. It's hard to track carbs if you're not logging, especially at the beginning, and you do produce more ketones when you start eating low carb, even if you're not completely in the ketogenic range.
  • WittLace
    WittLace Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Took me a few weeks, then it hit me. I'd say around week 3 or 4 I had headaches, nothing too major though.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    One of the worst things I experienced was periods of getting what felt to be hot flashes. I would feel hot then the sweating would start. Only lasted a few minutes then would subside. This went on for about a week. I was at about a month in when that occurred. Otherwise, I never had any other problems.