Eating fat feels so wrong

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Obviously on here it's encouraged and I've read some of the links about fat but it still feels so wrong,I'm ok with cooking in butter or adding cream to coffee but I just ate whipped double cream with butter and vanilla (so delicious) but feel so bad for eating it.
But I do feel very full so that's a positive :)
I wouldn't feel the same way if I ate something like caramel or candyfloss so why should eating fat be so different?
Anyone else struggling with fat fear?

Replies

• RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Keep it up. You are doing right.
  • lynder64
    lynder64 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    a little... :-)

I've tried low carb numerous times over the course of the years and always feel a better kind of energy in doing so. I've never paid attention to the fats though, so this is new to me. The staying power that comes with doing so is amazing!!! We just need to remind ourselves they are healthy fats we're consuming.
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I ate waaay off plan at lunch so to get everything back into some assemblance, I'm having cheese and bacon. Clearly if I had guilt I got over it ;-)
  • Jennym93
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    I ate waaay off plan at lunch so to get everything back into some assemblance, I'm having cheese and bacon. Clearly if I had guilt I got over it ;-)
    that sounds yummy, I burnt my bacon this morning :(
  • RisiM
    RisiM Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I had chopped almonds in full fat natural yogurt
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to get used to the idea that fat, especially saturated animal fats, were good for me. Not that they just weren't going to kill me, but that they were actually what my body wanted. You will get used to it over time. It is hard to let go of all that acculturation overnight.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    It took me a while to get used to the idea that fat, especially saturated animal fats, were good for me. Not that they just weren't going to kill me, but that they were actually what my body wanted. You will get used to it over time. It is hard to let go of all that acculturation overnight.

Yes, it is hard at first, but when you realize you can drop body fat and eat fat, you'll adjust your mind to match your mouth.
  • EddieEHitler
    EddieEHitler Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It's not fat you should fear, it's carbs :D
  • Kitnthecat
    Kitnthecat Posts: 2,052 Member
    Options
    I know it sounds unbelievable at first, to consider eating so much fat, but the way I look at it now, is to realize that our bodies need that fat. Saturated fat is natural and our bodies recognize it as fuel. The body does not recognize man-made fats such as trans fats, and it does not need the quantities of starches and sugars we have become so accustomed to eating. I have done a complete turn around in my thinking regarding this, and quiet frankly, I am repulsed by many of the foods I did not question before eating them blindly. Now it repulses me to think about eating the various forms of sugar or sugar substitutes like Aspartame which are deadly to the human body, not to mention corn or soy products, or MSG, or weird chemicals added to everything.....the list goes on and on. Give me pure, real natural food, and lots of fat to give me energy. We have been brainwashed about what is considered healthy, and it takes a while to come to terms with this. Give me fats instead of carbs any day !
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    It does take a bit to change this brainwashed thinking! It will come. I made my first "fat bomb" last night (simple, cream cheese with shredded sharp cheddar) after realizing I needed more fat, and it was good. Will venture into other fat bomb recipes for sure! Listen to your body, it will tell you when you are right!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I think the rebellious part of me is what has allowed me to accept it pretty easily. That, and I drown myself in research as a coping mechanism.

It's fun, though, to encourage eating in such a way that it freaks people out. It's even better when you get numerous health results. :D
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,955 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    I think the rebellious part of me is what has allowed me to accept it pretty easily. That, and I drown myself in research as a coping mechanism.

It's fun, though, to encourage eating in such a way that it freaks people out. It's even better when you get numerous health results. :D

:+1: Exactly. :mrgreen:
  • Jennym93
    Options
    vipergrm wrote: »
    It's not fat you should fear, it's carbs :D
    I fear them too now lol
  • Jennym93
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »

I think that's one I've had a look through before but even with all the evidence I'm still wary of fat I feel like I'm going to keel over if I eat so much but at the same time it's great to be able to eat
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way, I still don't eat as much fat as some on here do. I'm trying to middle it as best I can. I do find it interesting that before lowering my carbs, I used to eat high carb and low fat, if I ate something fatty it would immediately turn my stomache. So I would try to eat less fat and to not have a problem. But now i've eating more fat, even had alfredo last night which normally sent my tummy spinning upside down, and no problems. It seems so strange to me that eating more fat makes me feels less sick than eating no fat and getting sick every time
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Stbarber1 wrote: »
    I feel the same way, I still don't eat as much fat as some on here do. I'm trying to middle it as best I can. I do find it interesting that before lowering my carbs, I used to eat high carb and low fat, if I ate something fatty it would immediately turn my stomache. So I would try to eat less fat and to not have a problem. But now i've eating more fat, even had alfredo last night which normally sent my tummy spinning upside down, and no problems. It seems so strange to me that eating more fat makes me feels less sick than eating no fat and getting sick every time

It has to do with bile production. Less fat = less bile, so when you suddenly eat a bunch of fat, the body isn't prepared for it, because it has down-regulated bile production.

That's also why there's the misconception that high fat causes gallstones. It doesn't (in fact, high fat diets prevent gallstones), the low fat diet preceding it did, but now the bile needs to move and not just sit there in the gallbladder, and the stones can't fit through the valves between the gallbladder and the gut, causing problems.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    I'm going through a bit of that now. I still don't eat high fat compared to many people, but as a percentage of calories it is higher than I am used to. I feel great eating this way, and the logical part of my brain knows it is not unhealthy...but a lifetime of hearing "fat will kill you" is hard to overcome all at once. It's a process.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    This book is really great for explaining the history behind the past few decades' fat phobia:
    The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz
    amazon.com/The-Big-Fat-Surprise-Healthy/dp/1451624425

Our brains are fat, and our bodies are meat. How twisted is it that these very things could be considered "unhealthy"?
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    This book is really great for explaining the history behind the past few decades' fat phobia:
    The Big Fat Surprise: Why Butter, Meat and Cheese Belong in a Healthy Diet by Nina Teicholz
    amazon.com/The-Big-Fat-Surprise-Healthy/dp/1451624425

Our brains are fat, and our bodies are meat. How twisted is it that these very things could be considered "unhealthy"?

Then there's the fact that our body stores excess fuels as (*gasp!*) fat, and half of that fat, regardless of diet is (*gasp, again!*) saturated. :wink: