Illness & ketosis

Options
nill4me
nill4me Posts: 682 Member
hi gang. I find myself pretty darn sick right now. I have strep and bronchitis. I'm taking an antibiotic (augmentin derivative) and using an inhaler for the time being. Last week blood ketones were 2.0-4.0. Glucose steady at 100 Or lower. I just measured and glucose is 114, ketones are 1.1. I've not eaten since 730pm last night. Have you all found illness to have a negative impact on your glucose/ketones? I've not been sick like this for over 2 years, that's why I ask.

Just curious.

Replies

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Poor you! Hope you feel better soon. At 1.1 you're still in ketosis, so that is the least of your worries.
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    when I feel sick, I crave all the junk food i can get my hands ok so yes it'd impact my ketones.

We are fighting off Mono, one of the girls I homeschool was sweet enough to bring it over and now everyone's feeling like poo warmed over. But so far the most damage we've done is sugar free pudding made with cream and not milk. So far...

Hope you feel better soon! no fun being sick but especially in spring when it is so much fun to go outside again.
  • nill4me
    Options
    Thanks guys. I wasn't really clear I guess. I know I'm in ketosis. I was more curious about folks that monitor blood glucose and blood ketones, if they see an increase in glucose, and subsequent, paired dip in ketones when they get sick.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Your immune system runs on glucose.
  • nill4me
    Options
    Can you cite me something I can read on that? Considering that excess glucose is a toxin, I'd be more likely to believe it suppresses immunity rather than supports it. Not by itself of course, but as a co-factor of sorts.
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18350123

We will try to show the reader how the highly energy-demanding immune cells use glucose as a main source of fuel ...

Glucose is the main source for high-energy needs. You already know how sprinters, for example, need it for a quick burst of energy. The immune system has to react quickly and forcefully to invaders. It's an energy-expensive process, so it uses high-octane fuel.
  • nill4me
    Options
    So you think my body produces glucose to perform the high energy function of fighting off the crud? Interesting stuff.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Alliwan wrote: »
    when I feel sick, I crave all the junk food i can get my hands ok so yes it'd impact my ketones.

We are fighting off Mono, one of the girls I homeschool was sweet enough to bring it over and now everyone's feeling like poo warmed over. But so far the most damage we've done is sugar free pudding made with cream and not milk. So far...

Hope you feel better soon! no fun being sick but especially in spring when it is so much fun to go outside again.

OMG, @Alliwan, this is terrifying!!! Mono? How can you stave it off? I thought once you had it you HAD IT... This is awful!
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    In January, I had strep and had to go to the ER because my throat closed up. Al the medicines they gave me were liquid because of that...and all had sugars in them. :(
    I tried hard to have foods that fit into my diet still, but it was more important for me to get well. I was fully OUT of keto the whole 2 weeks I was sick, but I tried not to stress on it because at least I was getting better.

-T.
  • nill4me
    Options
    Thanks Teneko. I'm trying not to stress too much about anything but getting well...I feel bad for you with your throat closing up, i can relate. I wasn't quite that bad, but swallowing brought a tear to the eye sometimes for sure.

@ Alliwan, I hope you all feel better soon....its really hard when you have something so contagious hit your home for sure, and mono can be so hard.