Coffee Sweetener Suggestions?

Options
I currently use turbinado sugar and half and half in my coffee, but even a tbsp of turbinado adds so much sugar and calories to my daily goals. Any suggestions for sweetening coffee that won't have as much of an impact on calories/sugar goals?

Replies

• lcollaro
    lcollaro Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I use stevia. It's a natural sweetener with 0 calories and I use about a tablespoon of 2% milk.
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hey Michelle, I do the same as you. Half n half with turbinado sugar in the raw. I drink 3 to 4 cups a day( down by about 1/2)and it adds up, but at least I know where my sugar comes from. I've learned to accept that I can't drink it black.

I prefer not to use any artificial sweeteners and I'm still uncertain about Stevia..
  • Michelle52801429
    Michelle52801429 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I feel the same about Stevia and Splenda. However, my mother actually grows stevia plants and creates her own sweetener that isn't made in a factory. That might be one option! Yeah, it adds up. My sugar comes from turbinado and my morning shake, which has a lot of fruit. I guess I can't feel too bad if all my sugar for the day is from fruit and my coffee! Thanks for the suggestions.
  • mbencearmstrong
    Options
    There are some good articles about Stevia online (try msn health), I have done tons of research on the subject. Stevia does not affect blood glucose levels and the most recent article I read is that it is safe. I use it in my coffee, tea, etc.
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I have tried using stevia but I can't get past the bitter after taste. I just use sugar and count it as an indulgence. I have heard of people using honey, and I have tried using blackstrap molasses. That may be worth another try since molasses has so much potassium. At least I could feel good about what it is giving me nutritionally.
  • ac7360
    ac7360 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk and stevia.
  • Michelle52801429
    Options
    @heatherzousel - molasses is a great suggestion!
  • Mussronkey
    Mussronkey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Stevia as I drink several cups a day. A bit of honey works if the alternative stuff freaks you out. As with anything moderation is key. I just can’t stand the taste of black coffee.
  • Michelle52801429
    Options
    @Mussronkey - I wish I could drink it black! That would be so much easier!
  • psmd
    psmd Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    I use 10 grams of sugar, 40 calories; plus 30 grams of cream, which is 60 calories. So total is 100 calories which I personally don't think is too much. And it's so good. Hopefully you find something that works for you!
  • gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm a chocolate almond milk or Vanilla Almond milk fan for adding a bit of flavor and cream to my coffee. Although lately I'm hooked on freaking a tablespoon of torani syrup :neutral:
  • ScottieV33
    ScottieV33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use Truvia. You only need a pinch, and if you still want a creamy additive then I would suggest unsweetened almond milk.