Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe

KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
I thought we had a recipe thread, but I couldn't find it...If so, feel free to add this there and delete here...

Copycat Olive Garden Zuppa Toscana Soup Recipe
Posted on 4/09/2015 by KnitOrMiss
As currently prepared: (Notes for improving the recipe at the bottom!)

INGREDIENTS
1 pound bulk spicy and hot sausage (recipe called for spicy Italian, but this was way cheaper, so I just added Italian seasoning to the broth)

1 bunch kale, chopped - about 3 cups (roughly - adjust to taste)

1 stick butter (1/4 cup or 8 oz, depending on location)

1 TBSP olive oil

4 cups broth (stock, broth, or water with buillion)

2-6 cloves garlic smashed/chopped/pureed, to taste

1/2 onion chopped or pureed, color to taste

Salt and Pepper to Taste

1/4-1 tsp Italian seasoning, to taste if not using Italian Sausage

Roughly 4 oz/8 tbsp heavy whipping cream, to taste

INSTRUCTIONS
Chop up tough kale stems. Brown sausage and kale stems together. I tried to do them in 1/2" to 1/4" pieces. Cook through. Drain excess grease. Set aside.

Chop/puree garlic and onion (I used my ultimate chopper, comes out like a rough paste. Feel free to leave as chunky as you like to taste.) Add olive oil to same pan as browned sausage in. Add onion and garlic. Cook down until translucent or most of the liquid is cooked out.

Deglaze with stock/broth. Add salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning. Simmer broth for 30 minutes.

Chop kale into very thin strips (1/8"-1/4"). May shred using processor what have you, to taste. Add butter, sausage, kale stems, and chopped kale back to pot. Simmer until kale is softened. For me, this was 20+ minutes until it was as soft as I prefer.

*** NOTE: At this point STOP if you plan to refrigerate it. Reheat the broth at this point. Only add the heavy cream when ready to eat. ***

Portion out into serving bowls. Makes roughly 6 or 8 1-cup servings, I think. Add 2-6 TBSP of heavy cream to each bowl, amount to taste. Stir and serve. (Again, note, add cream only as serving - this makes it much easier to reheat!)

Modifications - this was so much kale! I might have underestimated slighlty. So I'm purchase and browning 1-2 additional pounds of sausage to add to this tonight. I will be adding at least 2 more cups of stock/broth. I will season to taste. But I'm thinking the ratio of sausage to kale will be better to me! :)

Sausage - feel free to get any kind of sausage, any kind of ground/minced meat - just make sure to seasoon while cook if unseasoned product with at least salt and pepper. If you get ITALIAN sausage, be sure to leave out the Italian seasoning, unless it needs more punch. Also, if you do not buy a spicy sausage but want it spicy, add crushed red pepper flakes to taste.

Kale - you can use any green that wilts. Spinach or other greens can easily be used. If the stems are tough, be sure to "fry" them along side the sausage. I imagine even cabbage could be interesting here.

Garlic - original recipe called for 2 cloves. Use to taste.

Onion - original recipe called for one onion, but my was slightly larger, so I only used half.

Italian Seasoning - add to taste if purchasing sausage that isn't Italian. Mine was $2 instead of $4 just purchasing regular Spicy sausage.

Heavy cream is to taste. I would add at least on TBSP per bowl. Can supplement with other type of cream or additional butter.

Also this original recipe called for potatoes, just like the soup at the restaurant, but sincerely, this was so great a soup that I just didn't even notice they were missing. Feel free to add potatoes or riced cauliflower or any other veggie you prefer, if you've got the room for it.

SURPRISE SURPRISE - once again the recipe add link is not giving me nutritional data. I will post that later.

UPDATE: Nutritional Data (may change, have to confirm sausage info)

8 servings
Calories: 442
Fat 41 grams (Saturated 20 g; Monounsaturated 6 g)
Cholesterol: 112 mg
Sodium: 1142 mg
Potassium: 282 mg
Carbs: 6 grams, Fiber: 1 gram, Sugar: 1 gram
Protein: 10 grams
Vitamin A: 25%
Vitamin C: 5%
Calcium: 8%
Iron: 4%

Replies

• Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    I had no idea my soup had a name! That's pretty similar to the sausage and kale soup I make, but I add fresh sage to mine. I've used kale or spinach interchangeably.
    Thanks for sharing this. Good stuff.

-T.
  • MizTenaciousT
    MizTenaciousT Posts: 69 Member
    Yummmmm. This may have to be made this weekend.
  • totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Looks lovely. I really pasta fagiole as well, so may try this Italian baby!
  • KnitOrMiss
    As far as anyone adding potatoes for the family (which I swear, I didn't miss AT ALL...)

when you add potatoes I would simmer the broth 10 minutes to meld the flavors then split it and add potatoes to one pan, then half the kale and half the sausage.

or better idea. just pull out the broth needed to cover the potatoes (or cook them in seasoned stock). then add them to each bowl. because they are set to simmer at the point before you add the sausage back in. so no butter. just stock.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Oh, and someone caught this elsewhere... NOTE on the butter:

It is 8 TBSP not 8 OZ.... Sorry, my brain overloaded my fingers.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    I make this and add cauliflower instead of potato. Delish. Thanks knit!
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    and i add coconut cream, vice hwc.
  • Mistizoom
    Mistizoom Posts: 578 Member
    I've been meaning to make this forever. Thanks for the tips on improving it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 7,015 Member
    oh yum! I'm going to make this soon.