From 405 to 205 – That’s 200 pounds gone!

Options
NikonPal
NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
From 405 to 205 – That’s 200 pounds gone!

We went out of town today to see a cardiologist, I hadn’t seen since last early last year. He was thrilled with my weight loss. My visit confirmed what I had noted on my scale at home this morning. I lost that last pound since my last “recorded” weigh-in…so it is official:

“lost 1 lb since his last weigh-in! Nikonpal's lost 200 lbs so far.]

His staff (EKG tech, and 2 nurses) was also impressed. One nurse left the room saying she was going back to her station to download MFP (LOL).

The other nurse had lost his own weight of 40 pounds, since we last saw him. He was so ecstatic about the “congratulations” we gave him etc.; he jumped into his success story / journey (dropping from 3X to plain XL and waist from 46 to 40). I skipped my story – I was just enjoying his “moment in the sun.” It was a wonderful story and also related to his 2nd job as a part-time fireman.

We stopped at an out-of-town mall on the way. I bought a pair of 36” waist jeans! I haven’t been a 36” waist in the last 25 years or more! That is down from a 60” waist. OK – to be honest – “some” 36” didn’t fit and I am still 37-38”. Guess, I should put this under NSV.

fat%20compare%202015%20apr__zps47wlg8si.jpg

This is an UPDATE SINCE my original story at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10080664/lost-191-lbs-photos-success-after-999-failures/p1

73641431.png

Replies

• BRaye325
    BRaye325 Posts: 1,383 Member
    Options
    How wonderful for you! I'll bet you feel years younger. Your story inspires so many others - thanks for sharing!
  • nikkib0103
    nikkib0103 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations on your achievement...
  • iamfashiontribes
    iamfashiontribes Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Wow that's awesome!!!! You rock!
  • BBee5064
    BBee5064 Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    THANKYOU for sharing your truly inspirational story :-)
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Thank-you all. Got up this morning and re-confirmed it was a dream.

It showed down another pound but that could be a fluke because I was so tied up at the hospital yesterday I didn’t get any mid-morning or afternoon snacks or lunch…but the late night chocolate cluster was delicious (and so was dinner).

Snapped a photo this morning for my records…but you can’t see the smile! Hope everyone has a great Friday!

20150410_073512_scale%20204_socks_zpsxjawsh8t.jpg
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are, thanks for sharing your story.

As Spock would say, "Live long and prosper"!
  • lynnstacey2
    lynnstacey2 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Congratulations!
  • NikonPal
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks everyone -

My wife snapped this updated photo today.

[My original waist was 60" -- yesterday I bought the size 36" pants I am wearing in the photo below.]

Not sure if I posted this before, but earlier in the week I found my doctor office notes for November 2013 – my BMI was just over 54!

Hope everyone has a great weekend! :)

compare%20me%20apr%202015_final%20border_zpsgpzx1sgk.jpg
  • Glassgal01
    Glassgal01 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss, You look great! Thank You for sharing your story.
  • Brinasacat
    Brinasacat Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Wow! Fantastic! You look incredible! Congratulations!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Brilliant effort - truly life changing.
  • sebenza512
    sebenza512 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Outstanding effort! You look fantastic too. Congratulations on your achievement.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    Thank you for the kind comments. Today was weigh-in day for a "100 Day" challenge I participated in - here are the results.

Weather is back to cloudy, wet and cold…but once I got to the gym things kicked in… The 100 Days was a fantastic way of staying focused, connected and motivated. Thank-you to all. Loved following everyones progress and getting the benefit tips from so many. (Start of 100 days was 227 now 202)

Happy Monday everyone!

TODAYS WEIGH-IN : lost 2 lbs since his last weigh-in! Lost 203 lbs so far. (weighed myself three times to be sure) LOL

Burned 322 calories doing 61 minutes of cardio exercises, including walking treadmill gym 45 min.

weight%203_scales1_edited-1_zpsoorr0fn0.jpg

g_100%20days_zpskwcg2wu6.jpg

• BRaye325
    Options
    Your doing great! Would you mind sharing more of your plan. Let us know some of the details like how you set your calories target, if you eat back exercise calories, what your exercise plan looks like. You are truly half the man you once were. :smiley:
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    NikonPal, you are a dang marvel. I echo BRaye... please share more of how you got to your goal. What was the most helpful to you and, just as importantly, what was the least helpful?
  • NikonPal
    Options
    BRaye & nikkib -

A short Mayo Clinic staff article (see link) condenses a lot of my approach (not everything). Keeping in mind that I had 200 pounds to lose (super obese); I set a very low daily calorie target (1000-1200). There was no way I would starve given my “stored” fat. LOL. I was NEVER hungry.

I backed into my calories each day (and still do) using it like a bank account. I started by deducting a few calories for a night-time TV snack (100-calorie popcorn, Fiber Bar, Jello - Sugar-free (5 calories); Fruit Cups, Edy’s Frozen Bars (25 calories) etc. that I knew I would want. Everything else was a matter of switching high-calorie / low nutrition items for the opposite. I also looked for “fillers” like broccoli crowns or spaghetti squash when meals seemed skimpy – they could be added at little cost to almost any meal and satisfy.

I never ate from a container. The last thing I want is a meal that screams “I’m on a diet!” I adjust plate size depending upon the meal. All my meals were made to look appetizing.

The religious use of the MFP app was very important. I tried to be as accurate as possible and always erred on the side of caution and avoided lying or trying to fool myself.

With regards to motivation – I avoided past mistakes. I sought the encouragement of like-minded individuals. I don’t mean that the approaches had to be the same. Everyone is an individual.

I’ll have to write more on this later, in order to explain it properly. I did change my approach this time from anything I had done in the past (from a mental perspective) and for me, it worked.

Thanks for the kind words. You guys are great!

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/calories/art-20048065
  • nikkib0103
    Options
    That was a good article and made sense. Thank you for sharing. It just goes to show that the basics haven't changed and it's diligence and effort that results in reaching the goals. We all want the magic pill and the ability to eat all we want without lifting a finger but we know the only way is the deceptively simple way that requires thought and work.
  • BRaye325
    Options
    NikonPal wrote: »
    BRaye & nikkib -

With regards to motivation – I avoided past mistakes. I sought the encouragement of like-minded individuals. I don’t mean that the approaches had to be the same. Everyone is an individual.

I’ll have to write more on this later, in order to explain it properly. I did change my approach this time from anything I had done in the past (from a mental perspective) and for me, it worked.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/weight-loss/in-depth/calories/art-20048065

That article is really great for reviewing the basics. I especially like the part that talks about swapping out lower calorie options. Please explain more about how your approach is different.
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    NikonPal, how about an update on your weight loss? You must be *this* close to entering OneDerland.
  • NikonPal
    Options
    NikonPal, how about an update on your weight loss? You must be *this* close to entering OneDerland.

I'm pretty much holding, but haven't been able to get to OneDerLand. Not sure it will happen ( I mean I "could" but not focused on it unless I thought I could hold on to sub-200; guess I'll see).

The lowest I have ever held in the 25 years before MFP was in the 230-235 range (& that was about 20 yrs ago). I'll be extremely happy to maintain between 200 and 215. Right now, I am focused on balancing my new calories-in / calories-burned numbers to stay in that range; and what the mirror tells me as I build muscle. Best to you!