Supplementing with selenium - OK to take with L-Thyroxine?

Options
A quick question for folks taking a selenium supplement - when do you take it? The maker of mine suggest taking it on an empty stomach in the morning so I am wondering whether it is OK to mix it with L-Thyroxine or whether it is better to take them separately.

Replies

• lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I take mine with the rest of my vitamins (multi, D, DHEA, etc). I take my thyroid first thing in the morning and the rest of my vitamins/supps either at lunch or dinner. When I take magnesium, I do that right before bed as I know it can be less effective with other vitamins/minerals (calcium in particular, I think). I've never heard of the need to take selenium on an empty stomach.
  • ElizabethKalmbach
    ElizabethKalmbach Posts: 1,416 Member
    Options
    I take all my supplements with my L-thyroxine in the morning (except calcium, which can mess with my magnesium - calcium is at dinner...). I take them all together CONSISTENTLY, so while it may effect my L-thyroxine uptake, the effect is consistent and my doctor can adjust for it. Thus far, there doesn't seem to be any adverse change since adding selenium.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'd not heard taking selenium on an empty stomach was beneficial. I have been taking all supplements together. I think I would ask a pharmacist, to be sure.
  • moopity
    moopity Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My endo told me to take selenium with dinner.