USMS Master Swim Coaching Certification

Options
mpeters1965
mpeters1965 Posts: 370 Member
This weekend I am taking the Level 1&2 USMS Swim Coaching Certification class. I've wanted to do it for a while so am excited. The downside (?) is that we are combining it with a visit to old friends so there will be food and alcohol at dinner afterwards and eating out on the trip down and back. I'm going to enjoy that so it isn't really the downside but will have to work a bit harder next week to make up for it! :smile:

Replies

• Ms_J1
    Ms_J1 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I took this class a couple of weeks ago. My husband went with me and we made it into a mini vacation. Had a lot of fun. Even the class was fun (although, I was ready for it to end by 3 o'clock).
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    Stayed out a bit late last night so the afternoon might be kind of hard. Thanks for the input! I'm off to it now.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    We are also making it a bit of a vacation and therefore stayed out a bit late last night so the afternoon might be kind of hard. Thanks for the input! I'm off to it now.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    How did the course go?
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    It was great, thanks! Very informative. I came away with the realization that I don't really have enough swim experience to be a coach for more experienced swimmers. I didn't really start swimming until I was 40 (about 10 yrs ago) and don't have a great depth of experience. The part on stroke correction, especially for the non-freestyle strokes, was rather daunting.

However I can certainly be a help to the program overall and to newer swimmers and I learned plenty to work on with my own swimming. It was worth both the time and money.
  • Ms_J1
    Options
    I'm like you except I started swimming as a child and then stopped for 30 years before starting again. I actually took the class for my own benefit rather than to become a coach. I thought it was a good opportunity to improve my own swimming and maybe coach some day after I have more experience watching others swim and can better identify problems with other people's stroke technique. I also just needed to get out of town for the weekend.
  • mpeters1965
    Options
    :smile: I'm with you on the wanting to get out of town for the weekend. That part was excellent too, even though it was in Ft. Lauderdale/Miami and the traffic was hideous. The company and food were outstanding though.

I've never seriously considered coaching but like the idea of being able to help out others when I can. I also work at a University with a pool but no organized swim club so I might explore the idea of starting up a group but getting someone else to coach, or as lead coach. That idea is still in its infancy and may never go anywhere!

I sure wish I started swimming as a child. I swear you can tell the difference in about 2 seconds who swam as a child and who didn't.