Daily carb/calorie goals?

Options
Hi, I am about 14mo from VSG. I started at 260lbs and am now 160lbs. I have not lost any weight since February, just going back and forth between 158-161 for the last two months. I am thankful that I lost 100lbs but don't want to stop here. I really need to work on my exercise as well as my diet. I didn't work the honeymoon like I should have and now I'm having issues knowing what to eat for the best results. I have asked on other forums as well as Facebook pages and no one really gives feedback about how many carbs/calories per day. The nutritionist at my local hospital is a little odd so I don't really like seeing her. Would rather hear from successful WLS'ers. Any advice for me?

Replies

• serenity920
    serenity920 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Lovex5 I can't give you specifics but i am also interested in how others who do a modified low carb high protein small meal diet can log it effectivly in MFP.
    I am doing a 5 day pouch test but want to be able to do long term planning for day 6 and beyond.
  • katt0628
    katt0628 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I am also intrested. I would like to know after bariatric surgery does your calorie count really matter (of course not overboard) I do watch my protein and try to keep it above 60. My Dr never gave me a carb or calorie total to keep in mind only 60-80g of protein a day and to limit my sugar. I'm now 2.5 years out and have lost a total 139 of which I have gained 25 back. I am on day 5 of the 5 Day Pouch Test and it has helped some, reminding me to not drink 30/during/30. And I have started measuring some of my food again. I'm probably cheating myself a little because I always judge a little on the high side when the serving is probably under what I log and I ususaly make myself leave a bite or two. Would like to know what everyone else does.
  • Laura8603
    Laura8603 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I have been active in the bariatric community for around 8 years now. From my observations, most successful sleevers keep their calories around 800 and carbs under 50 during their losing phase.
  • 2BeHappy2
    2BeHappy2 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    The threads that Ive been reading (in these groups), the count is higher than 800 for after a certain point out of WLS and factoring in how active you are.
    I think just like any kind of "diet" your maintenance weight should be more in tuned w/ your height.
    Someone of my height (4'2) probably doesn't (shouldn't) require as much cals as someone tall(er) than me!
    Not that I don't like (enjoy) eating, I do but to sustain my goal weight I should be mindful of special circumstances (like me at my height & activity).
    Like Katt, we were not given much helpful info on what or where we should be at at different points of our weight loss which is nerve wracking to say the least.
    All we've been told is drink X amount and eat X amount of protein...everything else just went by the wayside.
    Its almost like they don't know anymore than us so they just don't say anything at all.
    We're left to do our own maneuvering and figuring things out :neutral:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    I agree with Laura for the first 6 months of the weight loss phase. After that, it really depends.

By 6 months out, I was super-active and my surgeon wanted me getting 120 g of protein a day. I couldn't do that and keep my calories at 800. I gradually went up to 1200 over the next couple of months -- still losing at the same rate because my activity was also going up -- until I hit goal.

Once at goal, I gradually increased my calories until I stopped losing. At that time, that was around 2000 calories because I was so active! When I am less active (like when I get injured), my maintenance calories are more like 1600 a day. I try to get 120 g of protein a day, still, but it's probably more like 100g when I'm not tracking. And I try to keep carbs and sugars low. I don't worry about fats now (but I did while losing).

My program starts everyone out at <800 calories, 70-90g of protein, <40 g of carbs and <30 g of fat. Then we all get adjusted individually based on circumstances and our goals for ourselves.

These days I tend to get about my calories equally among the macronutrients -- so about 33% protein, 33% carbs and 33% fat.

As for how much to lose, my surgeon likes us to lose 50% by 3 months, 80% by 6 months and 100% by 12 months. Again, that gets adjusted someone per individual. For one thing, if you have more than 200 pounds to lose, it can be pretty hard to lose it all by 12 months. His rational for that schedule is that in his experience, people who lose most/all of their weight in the first year do the best. And since most people slow down in the weight loss after 6 months, that means you have to lose more than 50% by then or risk not losing it all.

I would say, based on my observations, that these goals are on the aggressive side. There are plenty of his patients who only had lost 40% by 3 months and did fine, for example. BUT a lot of other programs only expect 50% weigh loss by 6 months and many people in those programs don't end up making their goal weight. So, if it was me, I'd aim for losing as much weight as you can in the first 6 months even if it's not 50% of excess weight.

Btw, I am only 5 ft tall and middle-aged. Yet I can eat more than a lot of women as short or old as me. I believe it's because I work out and have more muscle than average.
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    I agree with MacMadame and Laura. 50 carbs for losing is what my program recommends also and if you can get it lower that is fine too. Should never exceed 100. Hope this helps and good luck to you.

Good to hear from you MacMadame as usual! My Shero!
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Well, if someone hasn't been losing for two months or more, they are eating just enough to maintain their weight. If they want to lose, they need to eat fewer calories. Everyone has their own number -- mine won't be the same as yours.

Cutting back 500 calories per day will be one pound per week.
  • MRS1TAS
    MRS1TAS Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I went from 337 to 270. My surgery was in August 2014. I am bouncing right now between 267 & 270. My general practioner told me I was set for an epic fail if this didn't change. Which just ticked me off. I post everything that I eat here on mfp. Most of the caloric & fat counts & serving sizes are all wrong. So I'm not sure if I am getting too many calories. It also sucks that there is only one support group meeting anywhere near where I live that is offered. It's two towns away and it's only the first Tuesday of the month. Then the next closet one is a couple of hours away. Once a month. So I can get the proper support that I need. It gets a little depressing sometimes. Although I do feel much better with the weight I have lost so far. But I have a long way to go still yet.
  • gabriellebrown71
    gabriellebrown71 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    MRS1TAS, I want to commend you with the weight that you have lost. My surgeon would tell you you are doing good and to keep up the good work. Do not give up in your journey, we have made the biggest step by having surgery. I had surgery April 14th and i have only lost about 10lbs since and still working on it. I was feeling down but while my surgeon says it is best to lose the most in the first 9 months after surgery it is still good to lose 1 to 2 lbs a week. it will stay off longer that way. good luck in the future