What I've learned by watching the scale daily.

Options
KickboxDiva
KickboxDiva Posts: 142 Member
After a break from the scale I have been tracking my weight, activity, macros, doms, and cycle for about 2 months. I'm not going to do it forever as it is just to collect data and even though I still have days the number makes me a little upset it has helped me to see what it really is. Just a measurement of actual weight, not leanness. I can tell you that any given day I can swing about 3 lbs. Previous days calories seem to have less of an impact as actual macros/sodium. It takes about 3 days after a "cheat day/weekend" to get back to normal. During my cycle I typically avoided the scale and I can see now that I actually LOSE about 3 lbs during that week each month. Weird! For 2 days after heavy legs I weigh UP even though I crushed it in the gym. I cycle my carbs usually and try to eat at full TDEE on training days and on my 3 days off I shave off 100 carbs -500 calories. If I do that for 2 days in a row I see a big drop but I've learned that it's just low water levels since carbs hold a high volume of water in your system. It's difficult to look at the number objectively but this little experiment has been helping me not to play the game of putting so much value in the number on the scale. I'm setting gym goals right now, performance goals and trying to focus on that instead.

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    This is valuable information! I'm lifting heavy, too. Once I really got started with weights I cared less about what the scale told me. I still weigh in but it's more out of curiosity and a need to track info, though I am not as detailed as you