Mantras

Options
Almoshposh
Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
Does anyone here have a mantra to keep them on the straight and narrow? When I feel discouraged I just tell myself 'One step at a time, one meal at a time' to remind myself that I will reach my goals as long as I keep moving. Anyone else such tools?

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    KCKO- Keep Calm Keto On. But replacing the "keto" with LC works just as well. No matter what utter crap life throws at you, keep calm and keep on plan.

Also, "Fall down 7 times. Get up 8!" You screw up? So what. You're human; it's going to happen. It's not the failure that is important. it's the getting back up and getting back in the fight.

This one is key though:
    "Consistency + Time = Success" but I always add to it "Consistency + Time + Grit = Success"
    You need to have that grit, the determination to hound your goal like a dog after a bone. And that philosophy will serve you anywhere in life. :wink:
  • Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    As of this morning my new mantra is "Get your head out of the scale!"
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    I'm more health-motivated than weight-motivated.

Not really a mantra, I just have an image in my head of the atherosclerotic effect of excess carb intake. Small dense LDL created from carbs in the liver is like sand in the gears of your metabolic system. :)
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    @wabmester What a way to describe LDL! Sand in the gears. Wow, I will use that!
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I won't describe anything I do as a mantra, but I have a completely different mindset about weight loss and about my health that has developed over the last 15 months or so that I've never had during all of my other failed attempts.

Simply put, I am so much more calm, accepting, and gentle with myself about this whole process than I ever have been before. Changing my lifestyle in the drastic ways that I have can be stressful. There is no benefit in compounding things by creating additional stress for myself when things don't go perfectly.

-- If I cheat, I no longer compound the problem by beating myself up about what I've done. Every meal I eat is its own separate event. If I cheat during one meal, the next meal is a new opportunity to eat the way I want to, then the next meal after that. What I've done in the past doesn't matter. All that matters is how I choose to eat my next meal.

-- If the scale doesn't move, that's ok. The difference between 250 and 249 on the scale this week is nothing. I may hit my goal weight in June, or July, or August. Is it *really* worth all of the stress about that number or how fast I race to a goal? I want to live longer, and have a happier, healthier life. The things I'm doing with my diet are allowing me to succeed in those goals, that's what I care about.

-- This doesn't mean its ok for me to cheat, or that I don't get frustrated if the scale doesn't move for a month. But its just so dang easy to create *serious* stress over little blips on the radar. Thinking about things this way gives me the best chance to succeed, and keeps me happy while I'm on the way there.

Compare this to all of my past/failed attempts at weight loss. One cheat turns into a huge amount of anger and self hate, which makes me feel extremely stressed out, so now I'm more likely to cheat again, its just so all or nothing, perfect or total failure, nothing in between. Everything is always teetering on a knife's edge, disaster around every corner, eventually I'd just collapse under the pressure I put on myself to see the scale move and binge my way back up to where I started and higher.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    As I get older, I have two... The first is never, ever, ever, ever, give up.... The second...never trust a fart.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Just keep swimming, just keep swimming.
  • Almoshposh
    Almoshposh Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    As I get older, I have two... The first is never, ever, ever, ever, give up.... The second...never trust a fart.

:D
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I get these daily motivations sent by email..some are amazing.

I see this one as PERFECT for frustrated dieters…his advice is spot on!

“You've done it before and you can do it now. See the positive possibilities. Redirect the substantial energy of your frustration and turn it into positive, effective, unstoppable determination.” ― Ralph Marston (1920s football coach)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    KeithF6250 wrote: »

Mantra, not anthem. :wink:

(Yes, I realize the mantra is in there)

(And I'm pretty certain most of us are avoiding the lager drink...)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Guilt is more damaging than calories. Banish guilt from your vocabulary.

Motivation is a fickle (b.i.t.c.h.). Kick her to the curb and find a real partner: determination.

I'm not losing weight; I'm gaining health.

Follow the health, and the scale will catch up eventually.

A bad mood does not dictate my day. A bad mood WILL NOT dictate my day. A rough start will not derail and destroy my entire day.

I have a number more, but these are the ones I say most often.