Chicken breast and keto?

Options
2»

Replies

• kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    one of my favorite side dishes is spinach sauteed with olive oil, garlic and tossed with toasted pine nuts. Depending on the main dish I sometimes toss in feta cheese and lemon juice.
  • GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    you can use crushed pork rinds for chicken coating ...

@GrannyMayOz, you may have just solved dinner for tomorrow night (coating added)
    Now that sounds *goooood*. And so does the spinach with pine nuts.

• totaloblivia
    totaloblivia Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    itcphotog wrote: »
    You can flatten it with a meat pounder until they're very thin, stuff it with whatever you want. I like to do creamed spinach with cheddar and heavy cream, add some mushrooms and bacon and roll into chicken. You can fry it in butter and olive oil or bake it in the oven until tender. Top it with garlic and Parmesan and you're good to go. I buy tons of chicken breaststs, thighs and drumsticks, there are tons of delicious recipes :)

Sounds gorgeous!
  • wheatlessgirl66
    wheatlessgirl66 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Indeed it does! Lots of good ideas here to make a plain chicken breast taste a whole lot better!
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    It was a very tough winter for much of the eastern US. One of the effects of the many storms and highway closures was a lot of chickens being held farms past their normal market dates. Chickens grow fast and even a few days can result in larger but tougher & less tasty chicken breasts. It means lower prices for over-sized breasts but more creativity on our part. Like Grannymay I've been experimenting with splitting them & putting the fat & flavorings inside. I then wrap with bacon and pin it all together with toothpicks. I line the bottom of a small baking dish with layers of sliced zucchini to soak up the combo of bacon grease, chicken fat, cheese, whatever. Put the chicken on top, cover with foil & bake. Half way through the baking remove the foil to crisp things up.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Teneko wrote: »
    Awesome ideas! Thanks so much, everybody! And yeah...oh man, I loves me some curry. That sounds like it'd hit the spot.

Hmm! Yes! I can use these to make my chicken salad, too. I make it with rosemary marcona almonds and mayo (also sugar free) from Trader Joe's and celery as well. Great minds think alike. I usually use leftover rotisserie chicken for the chicken salad. I didn't even think of this.

Also, you can tell how out of practice I am - I didn't even think of "making a sauce" to pour on it. I was dairy free for the past 10+ years, too, so...no creamy sauces for me! Thank you, @FIT_Goat! I was sitting here trying to think of how to thicken creamy sauces without flour or corn starch. Parmesan cheese it is. MMmmmm.

I just Googled some instructions on how to flatten chicken breasts. I'll have to get one of those meat tenderizer thingies. I knew I forgot something from the store...darn it!

You know what sucks about the parmesan cheese? I was at the store today and almost all the grated and shredded parmesan had FILLER to prevent caking. Lame. I ended up paying the extra bucks for the Kraft shredded parm just so I could get no filler. Guess I should invest in a cheese grater now!

Feel free to keep 'em coming. This is all so new to me.

EDIT: Just had to look up the Thai curry ingredients for the kind I used to buy. I always thought Thai curry paste would be off my list on keto because I kept thinking it had sugar in it! Looks like I was happily wrong. YAY Mae Ploy brand!

-T.

MY homemade alfredo is literally butter, heavy cream and freshly grated parmesan, with just a hint of garlic, salt and black pepper. Awesome with chicken.

Worth the effort for sure to use fresh parm, much more pungent and better melting that the jarred stuff.

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,553 Member
    Options
    kuranda10 wrote: »
    you can use crushed pork rinds for chicken coating ...

@GrannyMayOz, you may have just solved dinner for tomorrow night (coating added)
    Now that sounds *goooood*. And so does the spinach with pine nuts.

I crush pork rinds and mix with grated parmesan and a little garlic. Egg wash, then into the coating, makes great chicken.
  • Teneko
    Teneko Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    You guys rock.
    I even have an explanation now why there are all these large cheap chicken breasts on sale in the stores!
    And more importantly...
    I have half of one of those breasts digesting in my belly as we speak, and the other half in the fridge waiting for dinner tomorrow. B)

-T.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    chunk or strip it, dredge in coconut flour or arrowroot, dip in egg, coat with coconut. bake.