Effects of fat on blood sugar

Options
Sajyana
Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
I was with my Dad yesterday and he inquired about my weight loss.

A quick background: Dad is 73, had T2 diabetes, ignored it for decades and is now insulin dependent.

I explained about the the low carb, high fat and he was telling me about a new diet he was on. I found a website but it gives little to no details. 123diet.com.au/ I looked at the information he had and it was basically low carb vegetables, protein, no sugar and 2 fruits a day but was low fat. He said he was finding it difficult and was still craving bread. I explained about trying to eat more fats so that his body had fuel and he would feel fuller and he replied that Dr said he can't eat high fat because it elevates his blood sugar levels.

His health has improved since I saw him last June. He still has quite a lot of weight to shift and I thought if I could get some more information maybe I could make it easier for him. He's the type of man who doesn't talk much about his health (very old school) but I might be able to talk to his partner. They are both still very anti-fat and pro carbs. The Dr keeps telling them Dad needs to eat carbs.

Does anyone else find that fats raise their blood sugar levels? Are there any studies you've found that I could read and maybe help them out a little?

I tried to search our group for past discussions but the search function is for the entire community and it returned pages and pages of guff to sort through.

I'd appreciate any help you give me. :)

Replies

• wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    The "official" US diabetic diet is low fat. I think it's because diabetics are at a higher risk of heart disease, so they limit fats that they believe increase the risk.

I don't know of an easy way for fat to directly raise blood sugar, but google suggests that it'll slow digestion of carbs in a meal, and the blood sugar stays higher due to the longer digestion time. There are some other theories too, but nothing that would suggest a low-fat diet is necessary for blood sugar control.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I'm with wabmester, directly, there's no visible way. But could it bind to something? Possibly. I don't think there's much research out there for this specifically.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to a site which links to multiple studies
    http://authoritynutrition.com/23-studies-on-low-carb-and-low-fat-diets/

Perhaps something there will help.