Should I work out if sore?

Options
LoLoGB
LoLoGB Posts: 97 Member
So I did SL 5x5 for the first time Friday. Have had two days off but am still suuuuuper sore. Should I do the next workout tomo?

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If still sore, you are still repairing.

Usually that means you wouldn't be able to push as hard as you could if not sore.

If you can't push as hard, you really aren't getting as much out of the workout to cause body to make changes from it. (same issue as attempting a lifting session dead tired, or without proper nutrition, ect)

In this case, another negative, you could be harming the repair from that prior workout - wasting the workout to some degree.

If you made that last workout that good, as evidenced by still be sore, you really want total repair, so the next workout doesn't leave you sore as long.

So you could entirely skip it and do something that just gets the blood flowing good to aid repair.

Or practice form with about 25% of working weight and 20 reps - almost cardio level. Not to failure which means still putting a load on muscles trying to repair.
    Form work is always good if possible.

Just some ideas.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I was going to work out today despite DOMS but I was too sore today. Took another day of rest and rode my bike (with child on the back) to a playground and back today. Seemed like enough work to me! Back at it tomorrow.
  • LoLoGB
    Options
    Nice! That sounds like a good compromise! I did nothing because I wound up with some stupid cold/stomach bug. So prob derailed til Wed. Blah
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Do note that you will be sore. That's normal. It's when you are so sore that you can't 'move' then it's good to take a break. If it's just a bit of soreness, I find with working out, I actually remove my soreness and can do a great one.

Since you have a bug, I'd definitely take a breather.