clean eating long term

Options
djglennen
djglennen Posts: 10 Member
hi all i like the idea of clean eating and the couple of times i have done it i feel great but i find it hard to keep it up long term would love to hear ant tips and ideas on how to keep up the clean diet long term cheers

Replies

• tinascar2015
    tinascar2015 Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    If you don't view clean eating as a form of deprivation or punishment, it's easy to do for the rest of your life. Sure, take a detour now and then, but if you learn to appreciate, value and really like fresh and unprocessed foods, you won't see it as a struggle.

It helps to enjoy cooking, and the more varied and creative you get, the easier it is to develop a preference for clean eating.

I think it's especially important for parents to develop a love of fresh foods in their kids. I was raised that way,, always with meals cooked from scratch, lots of fruits and veg, and a green salad with every dinner. So even though I diverted from clean eating for a long time (got hooked on sweets and fast food), it's amazing how easy it was to return to my roots and begin eating this way again.

On the main forums, it bugs me to see people always looking for fancy ways of cooking vegetables to make them palatable. They're wonderful in their purest form! Easier to prepare too if you only steam them. Try eating them unadulterated, and pay attention to their textures and natural flavors. You might be surprised how great they are.
  • juliev1121
    juliev1121 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Im not sure how 'clean' I eat.. Im new to the idea (anyone who knows and can advise, pls look at my diary and send me tips!). I do try and eat healthy while enjoying my food. I came from a European home lots of meat and potatoes so the hardest thing for me was never feeling full on veg. So, I make all kinds of stir frys (just starting to build in my recipes). They are warm and feel heavy so I feel like Ive eaten comfort food. I use pre-made sauces which are my downfall I think, but being aware of it, Id like to start making batches of my own and freezing them should I ever get into a position where I can own a freezer. I reduced my amount of rice/carb in the serving over the years. A healthy diet is the goal, and to make changes and keep them you need to do it slowly, and find ways that fit you and make you feel like your not denying yourself. Create an aim, find new recipes, and incorporate change in stages :), eventually each stage will be a new 'normal' you can build on.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    Options
    Meal prep is the best way for long term, IMO. For example, I make smoothies every morning and pack work lunches so Sunday I go to the grocery store, get everything I need to for the week. Come home, chop/freeze produce and put them in pre weighed baggies so all I have to do in the mornings is throw it in the blender - pre weigh my oatmeal too. Cook all meat and pasta for the next couple days. All I have to do in the mornings is boil some frozen veggies in the morning to throw in the pasta, cook my oatmeal, make pre-weighed smoothie, and I'm done.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    juliev1121 wrote: »
    Hi,

Im not sure how 'clean' I eat.. Im new to the idea (anyone who knows and can advise, pls look at my diary and send me tips!). I do try and eat healthy while enjoying my food. I came from a European home lots of meat and potatoes so the hardest thing for me was never feeling full on veg. So, I make all kinds of stir frys (just starting to build in my recipes). They are warm and feel heavy so I feel like Ive eaten comfort food. I use pre-made sauces which are my downfall I think, but being aware of it, Id like to start making batches of my own and freezing them should I ever get into a position where I can own a freezer. I reduced my amount of rice/carb in the serving over the years. A healthy diet is the goal, and to make changes and keep them you need to do it slowly, and find ways that fit you and make you feel like your not denying yourself. Create an aim, find new recipes, and incorporate change in stages :), eventually each stage will be a new 'normal' you can build on.

If you're looking to cut carbs, I'd replace the rice with cauliflower. Rice is fine once in a while, but it is high carb.

Djglennen, it gets easier once it becomes a habit. Also, most of us still occasionally eat foods that aren't really clean. The trick is to recognize that it's okay as long as it's occasional and get right back on track.
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I found sticking with a few tried and true basics at first really helped us to stay on track. For example, breakfast consists of overnight oatmeal. I make a basic recipe with 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1/4 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 cup almond milk, about a tsp of local honey. I heat and add pre measured fruit in the morning.
    Sticking to a few recipes helped me fine tune my grocery list. We "clean up" our favorite recipes and add new ones for variety now, but were pretty regimental the first few weeks.

Best of luck!
    Robin
  • calidroz
    calidroz Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    djglennen wrote: »
    ideas on how to keep up the clean diet long term cheers

Try a CSA, you get more for your money, your choices are made for you and you will seriously feel great! Check out my latest blog for what I made with mine this past week. Disclaimer: all my recipes aren't completely clean but I'm eating way better than when I don't get the basket.

http://itsalifestylenotadiet.com/2015/04/spring-csa-series-week-1/

You can do it @djglennen !