What and how much veg/fruit do you eat?

Options
Jennym93
Jennym93 Posts: 136 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
I have to add some fruit or veg to my meals purely to please my mother so what's the best very low carb options?
I know cauliflower, broccoli,spinach and berries but other than that I'm not sure what to eat

Replies

• Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any above ground veggie. All green leafy vega.... Berries are great for fruit but that is about it.... Google low carb fruit...
  • spush
    spush Posts: 132 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    There was a pin on @GrannyMayOz 's pinterest board that I kept, hang on....
    tn5ex4itr21i.jpg
    nice and easy for us UK types to see per 100g
  • kuranda10
    kuranda10 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    are those net values?
  • spush
    edited April 2015
    Options
    @kuranda10 , not totally sure! But from my research I think they are, but don't completely take my word for it! Will do some more research, I've been looking for a net carbs per 100 for some time

edit: from plugging the veg in to the uk atkins carb counter, these are coming up as net carbs
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Avocados are really big right now in terms of perceived healthy foods (this one with good cause), and great for keto. Eat a lot of that and your mom might lay off.

Some people find fruit makes them crazier than candy, so stick to veggies if you can.

I eat cauliflower, avocado, a bit of broccoli, Brussels sprouts, bib lettuce, bell peppers, asparagus, green beans, cucumber, zucchini, and for fruit I stick to strawberries and blackberries (as an occasional treat). Just sneak butter on to everything, and smile for the security cameras!
  • JPW1990
    JPW1990 Posts: 2,424 Member
    Options
    Also per 100g:
    95xl2Te.jpg

As for how much, I usually have at least one meal that more vegetables than anything else, and will add fruit or veg to other ones as the mood strikes.
  • spush
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Thanks @JPW1990 , that's really comprehensive, do you have it as an editable table?
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    I only eat my veggies a few times a week. Green beans, spinach or kale (there's some green in the salad mixes that disturbs my system, but we haven't narrowed it down yet), iceberg lettuce instead of hamburger buns or taco shells, cauliflower, onions, bell peppers. The last 2 are more for flavoring meat. I do have fresh dill to put on my salmon.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I eat a fair amount of veggies. Some of my favorites are brussels sprouts, sugar snap peas, cabbage, jicama, red/orange/yellow bell peppers, cauliflower, yellow squash, zucchini, celery, green beans, small amounts of spaghetti squash, baby bella mushrooms, bok choy, endive, baby romaine, butter lettuce, iceberg, etc. I can't eat the dark greens due to high oxalate levels, but if you like them, go for it.
  • Japkoo
    Japkoo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I eat a big salad almost every day. Then I have some veggies (spinach, cauliflower, zucchini zoodles) with my dinner. Fruit, not so much, but I did make Popsicles w some strawberries.