Hot Flashes

Options
arabianhorselover
arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
So is anyone else dealing with these? They really hit me for the first time about a month ago, and they are already driving me crazy!

Replies

• 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been having them for a couple of years. I'll be 52 in August, and it's been 6 months since my last cycle. Wake up in the middle of the night drenched, and during the day they come on and I feel like I am on fire.
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I started getting them on my 50th birthday and now at 57 still have them but they are less intense and less often. When I first started getting them I felt dizzy and slightly nauseous too but that subsided pretty quickly.

Alcohol, spicy foods and especially stress bring mine on so if I'm at home rarely get them but at work if I get flustered or stressed it brings one on and it's embarrassing too. The only time I almost appreciate them is on a cold winter morning when I have to get out of bed. A lot easier to jump out of bed when your roasting :smile:
  • branbuds
    branbuds Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I am 50 and I have been experiencing hot flashes for a few years. For a few months at a time, I will have them every couple of hours. Then they ease off for a couple of months. Then, they come back again.
    I also experience the nausea and dizziness along with them. I will feel like I need to throw up and then the flash comes on. Right now, I consistently awake at night at least twice, with a drenching hot flash.
    Mine are really brought on by heat - having a hot shower, cooking over the hot stove, exercise etc. I keep a fan at my bedside and several throughout the house.
    Every woman seems to experience this phase of life differently. My older sister hasn't had the same problem with hot flashes as I have. My Mom is in her seventies and still has them once and a while. :p
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Well, it sure has been fun so far! I seem to get many during the night. Makes it a little hard to get rested. Also getting quite a few during the day.
  • Connie7355
    Connie7355 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I'm 59 and started having them when I was 51. Still having them but not as often. Not a fun time that's for sure!
  • zlitwin
    zlitwin Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I get them too... I'm 51 and been having them for a couple of years. Triggers include wine and caffeine so I try to keep those things at bay but it's tough!
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    I just turned 50 last month, my cycles pretty much stopped a couple years ago, and I've been waiting for the dreaded hot flashes. So far, none, but I know they're ready to pounce at any time (if my mom was any indication!). Not looking forward to them. She started having them in her early 50s and they continued into her year 60s.
  • FishyK
    FishyK Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I never had them. Mabe a few warm waves, that's it. Everyone is different. I did get raging headaches that nothing but time could cure. I could tell they were hormonal because, well, I just did. Thet were always accompanied by a slight nausea and intolerance to caffeine. Which was a bummer because I love coffee! Thank goodness they are few and far between these days.
  • softandcuddly
    softandcuddly Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi - just found this group, sorry to chime in so late! :smile:

As luck would have it, when I was suffering from the worst stage of hot flashes & night sweats, my cardiologist suggested I try a diet plan they were hawking through the office. Yes, the diet worked - but I was starving and miserable. *However*, my hot flashes & night sweats practically disappeared after a few weeks! I deduced the only thing it could have been was that the packaged food was all soy-based. When I quit the diet, I started taking soy supplements and the hf/ns never came back.

Naturally, we're all different - but it's a relatively cheap thing to try. You can either buy soy based snacks (I like dietdirect.com...but not cheap) or get a bottle if supplements from The Vitamin Shoppe or someplace similar.

Good luck - you couldn't pay me to relive those days. I feel for ya...
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Thank you, but soy can cause thyroid problems, and I've got those already!
  • pkdel
    pkdel Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I wake up a few times every night in "bake" mode. Throw the covers off, give it 10 minutes, then try to get back to sleep! It's so disruptive. I might look into the soy supplements. Thanks!
  • 3lilkids
    3lilkids Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've used black cohosh and milk thistle since last spring. Used it long enough for the hot flashes to stop, then stopped taking it. They started again after a couple of months and I took the cohosh and thistle again until they stopped. Seems to be working for me, and I am more than thankful. No more embarrassing moments of dripping sweat in my office.
  • lisapierce5277
    lisapierce5277 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had awful hot flashes after my hysterectomy, I use black.khosh too with evening primrose buy them at WalMart cheap. Then a few years later it was coming back a bit now I take progesterone cream added to the other two. Life is better if I could only sleep at night. I have insomnia. I tried melatonin and alot of other things from drug store nothing works. Idk what to do.
  • BBlidy17
    BBlidy17 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I actually went through this in my mid-40s and had to rethink my lifestyle. Once I began exercising more, there were fewer of the drenching night sweats (though, I live in south FL and in the summer, we do this naturally because of the intense heat). I learned to keep an ice pack in the fridge- that'll help you cool down at night. I also drank water only (except for my regular coffee and tea during the day), this seemed to help too. I suppose the one thing that I learned was that each of us goes through a slightly different experience. All I know was that exercise made me tired enough that I could at least get to sleep. Maybe- try that (and I mean real tiring exercise, not a quick walk around the block).
  • Sapphires4me
    Sapphires4me Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I went through hot flashes in my mid 40's. A few things that really helped - I kept a bean bag type ice pack in freezer and would put at base of my neck. Drink lots of ice water to cool down body core temperature. Limited my caffeine and alcohol intake considerably. I would wear tank top and shorts to bed even in the winter time. I've heard there are new pj's out that are made of special material that help keep you dry at night from hot flashes.
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I take hormone replacement but I know not everyone wants to or can do that. I had cognition problems-I was in grad school at the time and couldn't think. I couldn't remember anything, I couldn't prioritize, I forgot to go to an exam :o (who does that??), I couldn't write (English major and composition teacher). I'm afraid to go off of hrt but I may give it a try this summer. Glad to know there are natural choices that actually work.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Still dealing with it here. The scary thing is that some women never get over it.
  • rebeccamurphy12979
    Options
    I get them on a fairly routine basis through the day. Tried Black cohosh, soy isoflavones, nothing helped much. I get them so suddenly I get nauseated and light headed sometimes. I find I do better with them on days when I exercise hard and keep my simple carbs low, which I should be doing anyway. I doesn't help much to know you are not alone, but fwiw misery loves company I guess.
  • arabianhorselover
    Options
    Still getting them at least 8 times during the night. I do get them during the day, but not as bad as at night. I long to sleep through the night..........
  • tbandkau
    tbandkau Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've had them for about five years, tried all the different soy products, pills, creams, etc. I finallly went and asked for hormone pills - should have done it years ago. Ask for drugs. Why suffer.