Why go Paleo?

Options
Recently, I have been revisiting the Paleo lifestyle and why I am choosing to continue with it. I have been suffering from information overload and was starting to question all of my choices. In the MFP forums the consensus seems to be that no food is evil, everything in moderation is okay as long as you end the day in a calorie deficit. So then, why go Paleo? I don't have any major malfunctions. I'm not diabetic or arthritic. I do have food allergies but not to peanuts or wheat or milk or soy (that I know of)

I could say that nothing else except Paleo worked for me when I was trying to lose weight, but then I was most likely eating and drinking more calories than I burned.

So I have been thinking about it a lot and I know why I'm staying Paleo, and I know why going Paleo helped me to lose weight.

1. Whole foods. Foods that don't have added ingredients have fewer calories (with a few exceptions - there are always exceptions).
2. Less alcohol. I used to drink a lot of beer. As I consume less alcohol I am consuming less calories. (and probably doing my liver a favor)
3. Heart health. Despite what critics say about fats and meat consumption, my heart health has improved dramatically. My cholesterol numbers are within normal range for the first time ever, my blood pressure averages under 110/70 range (it used to be in the 140/90 range). It also takes more rigorous exercise to raise my heart rate than it used to.
4. Skin, hair, eyes. I constantly am being told how great my skin looks, and how shiny my hair and eyes are.
5. Discipline. It is always easier for me to stick to a weight loss plan when I have a clear outline of the plan. What I choose not to eat may be perfectly fine for me as long as I come in under my calorie goal, but I have a more difficult time controlling that calorie intake if I allow myself to eat just anything. My willpower seems to dissipate. Eating Paleo works for me because it is easy and simple. Keeping things basic, keeping them simple - that works for me. I have lost 37 pounds. That is the most I have ever lost and I am sure that it is because of the discipline of making the food choices I make.
6. Energy and Clarity. While my food allergies are limited to many raw fruits and veggies, I do feel a difference in the way my body works when I eat non-Paleo foods. Wheat cereal always made me feel sleepy after I ate it - for hours. Whole grain cereals, snack bars, etc. always gave me really bad gas. Without these things in my diet, I don't go to work sleepy, I don't feel bloated all day, I never have indigestion, and I rarely get headaches.

I still don't understand why we "don't have to count calories" by eating Paleo, and once I get to my goal weight I will experiment with that, but for now I'm counting calories.

What are the reasons you chose the Paleo lifestyle? How long have you been Paleo? What are the benefits you have experienced from your Paleo diet?

Replies

• tat2cookie
    tat2cookie Posts: 1,902 Member
    Options
    I came across it when I was looking for foods or a diet to help me with my PCOS. Everything I came across either mentioned paleo by name or suggested a lot of things that paleo incorporates. I was willing to try anything. I fell I love with the lifestyle right away and have pretty much stuck with it for almost 4 years now. I have my moments (don't we all?) and I do enjoy a bit of cheese once in a blue moon, or a beer. But it's nothing like it was and I do feel worlds better!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi. Thanks for this.
    I'm a geek, I read a lot.
    I am personally a pretty "South Beach Diet" meets mediterranean diet (on which the south beach diet is based) kind of gal.
    I really like the paleo folks. I'm happy with the low carb folks. I feel quite at home with the nutritarians. I'm fine with the "clean eaters".

Hubs asked me, not long ago, what all these things had in common. My answer: they all emphasize whole foods, and don't center around grains, particularly wheat. And all of them limit refined carbs/refined grains/heavily refined convenience foods.

And, interestingly, most of these approaches de-emphasize calorie counting, but folks still see losses.

My peeps.

Anyway. Cheers!
  • Nutmeg76
    Nutmeg76 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I started paleo after years of hopelessness with weight loss. I was lucky to lose 1 pound a month, even with strict calorie counting and exercise...lots and lots of exercise. My dad introduced me to it and I was skeptical at first. Then I didn't see him for about a month and he had lost 7 inches from his waist and 27 pounds. Hello! Wake up call!

This was back in 2009. I have my moments too, sometimes even months where I am less than paleo. But, I always com back because I feel better. Yes, you need a calorie deficit to lose weight, but for good health you need to nourish your body. eating less calories of junk food isn't optimal for good long term health. Yes, the initial weight loss for someone with medical problems will be enough to get them to a healthier state, but that only goes so far. I am in this for health with the side benefit being weight loss.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Well, since we all started counting calories (was it back in the 1960s or 1970s?) obesity rates have certainly not improved; quite the opposite. In human ancestry, morbid obesity was rare before people were basing their diets on high carb processed foods or were able to count calories. All calorie counting taught me was to stop listening to my body and try to eat as little as possible to maximize weight loss. That has backfired terribly. So.

But I have not had 100% success on just a Paleo lifestyle, but about 80% which is awesome too. I remain struggling, craving and having trouble losing fat and easily gaining if I'm not VERY strict 100% of the time with my food choice and macros. Macro counting probably is more important for people who don't tolerate plant foods well (aka carbohydrates) but want to keep them.

Metabolism really has little to do with calories in and out -there is no direct relationship at all- and by letting our "logic" get in the way we can prevent our natural system from working the way it was designed to; which is perfectly.
  • aaroncirilo
    aaroncirilo Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I ,mainly do Paleo but I found during wait loss I try to follow ketosis guidelines 70% Fat, 20% protein, 10% carbs... It just feels better plus I actually lose stored fat. No counting calories, nutrition etc...just isn't practical if I'm trying to establish healthy habits. It keeps me honest.
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I started eating paleo-ish in my early 20s. I had been overweight/borderline obese throughout my teenage years, which was something I blamed largely on my environment and growing up in a household that ate a lot of junk food. Once I moved out on my own, I felt like I had no more excuses and needed to take responsibility for my own health and well being. So I started jogging every morning, and a co-worker suggested I eliminate all "white food" from my diet (white flour, white rice, white potatoes, dairy and sugar). I wasn't really into whole wheat flour anyway and brown rice takes forever to cook, so I mainly just ate fruit and veg and meat. After the initial shock to the system, I started to feel much better. The weight loss seemed effortless, and my skin and nails even started to look better.

It wasn't long after I started seeing results that I saw a segment on a local morning show about the paleo diet, and it all kind of clicked. I had a saying in high school, when all of my friends were experimenting with vegetarian and vegan lifestyles; "You can't feed lion broccoli." Basically, we were meant to eat the foods that our bodies had evolved to eat. I just never considered that foods like rice or grains (especially brown rice and whole grains that are supposed to be healthy) might not be part of our natural diet.

Since then, I have fallen back into my old habits more than once. It's very easy in our society to give in and take the easy route. My transition from living in Canada to living in Britain was a particularly hard one, and I've definitely eaten my share of pies, puddings and cream tea since moving here. I'm still working on finding a balance, but I feel like it's getting easier the longer I stick with it.
  • SharonLoving50
    SharonLoving50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have done South Beach, Atkins and finally fell in love with Paleo -it just made sense. I am not 100% Paleo all the time (who is?) but am working toward it. The occasional chip or french fry has been known to pass my lips and once in a while I will have dairy (ice cream, I never keep it in the house). I feel so much better when eating real food and while I track what I eat, like not worrying about every single calorie.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    These are all great responses. I agree - feel better, look better, can enjoy something different every once in a while without the world imploding, and it keeps me honest (I get that statement). I did South Beach about 10 years ago or so and lost 25 lbs, but I enjoy Paleo more and don't feel restricted like I did on South Beach. I've lost more as Paleo with better food and more food but not more calories. I like hearing other folks' reasons for doing this without all of the science debate that makes my brain hurt. It feels good and we're healthy. Yay!
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    I actually lose more with paleo and more calories than I did with "everything in moderation".
  • Nutmeg76
    Options
    Not insane amounts of calories, but at 1200 a day with moderation I lost barely anything, with 1900-2200 "paleo" calories I lose nice and steady.
  • FeliJD
    FeliJD Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I was dead against Paleo when a a Crossfit trainer talked about it's benefits to me. 'What about dairy?' - was my main concern. It is interesting how quickly the body adjusts and how much more alive I feel having adopted probably a 85/15 rule over paleo vs other foods. No allergies, I just feel better and digest things better. This is the first time I've tried to diet whilst on Paleo and after day 3 I am noticing differences. For me, being on Paleo means that everything just seems to work better; better sleep, better attention during the day and better skin. I'm not sure if any of you are from Australia but try googling Pete Evans, he is a chef and strong advocate of Paleo and he looks amazing.
  • ascrit
    ascrit Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    For a second I thought your username was FelicityDonut. :smiley:
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have done about every diet there is. I came to Paleo because for my body it is what I need. I did great on Atkins, blew it going "clean eating" with grains, diagnosed Celiac after that, then couldn't handle ANY grains, so here I am. My carb intake fluctuates, and I do cheat. But I am here Paleo Primal to stay in the long term. I am at peace with giving up gluten, have never cheated with gluten. Dairy, is so addictive to me! I cheat a lot! But it SHOULD be off the table for me! I react bad to it.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »
    I have done about every diet there is. I came to Paleo because for my body it is what I need. I did great on Atkins, blew it going "clean eating" with grains, diagnosed Celiac after that, then couldn't handle ANY grains, so here I am. My carb intake fluctuates, and I do cheat. But I am here Paleo Primal to stay in the long term. I am at peace with giving up gluten, have never cheated with gluten. Dairy, is so addictive to me! I cheat a lot! But it SHOULD be off the table for me! I react bad to it.

I thought dairy was going to be my weak spot, especially cheese. Turns out not to be the case for me which surprised me. The main craving I fight is wine or tequila.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    cindytw wrote: »

I thought dairy was going to be my weak spot, especially cheese. Turns out not to be the case for me which surprised me. The main craving I fight is wine or tequila.

Oh I haven't given up alcohol. It is not really a requirement on the plans I have seen.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    the great Paleo exception: alcohol. lol

I like wine too, but don't make the mistake of excusing and justifying it. It really negatively impacts health and weight loss for most people.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited April 2015
    Options
    These are all great responses. I agree - feel better, look better, can enjoy something different every once in a while without the world imploding, and it keeps me honest (I get that statement). I did South Beach about 10 years ago or so and lost 25 lbs, but I enjoy Paleo more and don't feel restricted like I did on South Beach. I've lost more as Paleo with better food and more food but not more calories. I like hearing other folks' reasons for doing this without all of the science debate that makes my brain hurt. It feels good and we're healthy. Yay!

I don't find a South Beach style very restrictive. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I've never followed the meal plan or anything other than referring to the foods to enjoy list. I'm not sure if I would find Paleo restrictive or not (legumes and cheese being the things I'm thinking of at the moment). And wine of course. :smile: I think Hubs would do better on a Paleo style plan...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options

I don't find a South Beach style very restrictive. Perhaps it has something to do with the fact that I've never followed the meal plan or anything other than referring to the foods to enjoy list. I'm not sure if I would find Paleo restrictive or not (legumes and cheese being the things I'm thinking of at the moment). And wine of course. :smile: I think Hubs would do better on a Paleo style plan...

I think if you approached it the same way you approached South Beach, and use the "foods to enjoy" list as reference, it wouldn't be that bad. :)

I think a lot of the complaints about it being "restrictive" are largely mindset -- people get so hung up on what they "can't" have that they completely disregard all the awesome stuff they can have. Unfortunately, it's easier to list the half dozen or so root things that are frowned upon on Paleo than it is to try to describe all the stuff that are encouraged, so Paleo ends up getting defined by what's not allowed, which is a shame, because it turns off a lot of people who would otherwise thrive on it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »

I think if you approached it the same way you approached South Beach, and use the "foods to enjoy" list as reference, it wouldn't be that bad. :)

I think a lot of the complaints about it being "restrictive" are largely mindset -- people get so hung up on what they "can't" have that they completely disregard all the awesome stuff they can have. Unfortunately, it's easier to list the half dozen or so root things that are frowned upon on Paleo than it is to try to describe all the stuff that are encouraged, so Paleo ends up getting defined by what's not allowed, which is a shame, because it turns off a lot of people who would otherwise thrive on it.

Very well put.
  • SharonLoving50
    SharonLoving50 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love paleo and feel so much better when I stick to it. I have Celiac and paleo just makes it easy to eat safely and healthfully. My husband is not interested in paleo but that is okay. He eats what I cook but adds his own SAD foods. I have found the paleo community to be very supportive and interested in food in a healthy way, not an obsessive, 'diet of the week' mindset that have left so many people fat and sick.