Tell me more!

Options
Hi everyone! My name is Stephanie and I have recently joined MFP again to re-lose weight after 2 babies in 2 years.

Since recommitting to a healthier lifestyle, I have found myself gravitating towards clean eating- I love how I feel when I eat whole foods.

My questions for everyone else are:
Why do YOU choose to eat clean?
How long have you eaten this way?
What is the biggest benefit that you have noticed?

I never had "friends" last time I was on MFP (5 years ago), but please, feel free to friend me! I'd love some encouragement and encourage you too!!

Replies

• rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi Stephanie,
    My name is Robin. I'm 46 years old and started dabbling in clean eating about 4 years ago. Hubby and I became more seriously committed to a cleaner eating lifestyle in January of 2015.

We've tried many diets over the years-always gained the weight back and always felt hungry dieting! Deciding on a healthier, wholesome foods seems logical to us now. We've adopted a "pay now, or pay later" approach, keeping our long term health in mind.

DH has lost 40+ pounds and I've dropped 21 pounds since January. We notice we have more energy & feel satisfied after meals, feel better about the foods we eat and consider clean eating a lifestyle change as opposed to a diet.

• gash14
    gash14 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm Kristen, mom of two, losing the leftover baby weight and heal my body Long story short a could have been debilitating disease decided to grace me with its presence. All the stories and everything the doc said sounded none-so-delightful. Bring one who never accepts no doran answer I went on a journey of reading tons of medical studies/testimonials/etc about diet and disease I came to the conclusion my old habits had to go so I wouldn't be just another number of those living miserably with my disease. Hubs and I began the clean eating journey 5 years ago and are in the process of ditching all grains as our last step in our goal of clean eating.

Since beginning this journey we've lost weight, our minor and major illnesses have improved dramatically and over all we feel better than we did years ago!

Good luck on your journey!
  • HeatherZousel
    HeatherZousel Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    My journey started with Food, inc. Learning about what happens in the food industry made me want to limit my participation to farms I can visit and see how the animals are raised and organic produce (local when possible) I want to know what is in my food and where it came from. Welcome!
  • MudGal14
    MudGal14 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Im a clean eating newbie so Im starting off slow but, Ive been doing meal preps each week and only using whole or organic foods is awesome. the taste is better and I feel the difference physically. If anyone has any tips, tricks or advice for beginner please feel free to share or even add me. Thanks!!
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've been mostly eating clean for a few months now. I am a Veterinary Technician, and in charge of the pet food at my hospital. As I was learning more about animal nutrition, I also learned more about human nutrition. I'd always been a "healthy" eater, but I had blood sugar issues and was constantly hungry. I learned that the media has a lot of bad advice. I switched to a higher fat, all natural, clean diet and started feeling fuller while losing those extra 15 pounds I'd carried for years.
    Warning: Men may want to stop reading here. :smile:
    The best benefit I got though was my hormones starting to even out. I had always just assumed my severe menstrual symptoms (mood swings, excessive bleeding, extremely painful cramps...) were just part of me and something I would have to deal with. I haven't taken any pain medication for 3 months.
  • jcurrie17
    jcurrie17 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    My journey started with Food, inc. Learning about what happens in the food industry made me want to limit my participation to farms I can visit and see how the animals are raised and organic produce (local when possible) I want to know what is in my food and where it came from. Welcome!

Food Inc definitely played a role in my decision too. I watched it at the recommendation of Lisa Leake of 100daysofrealfood.com I'm not 100% by any means but I think solidly 75-80% clean. I choose more local produce and meats now and like knowing I'm feeding my family the best I can.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I always cooked and used minimal prepared foods so thought I was doing good. My weight kept going up along with my age and my energy and strength dropping. It started as a gluten free experiment in response to some tummy troubles my daughter was experiencing.... i discovered paleo as a great way to cook gluten free without "weird" stuff and things have progressed from there. I'm not gf or paleo, I just try to eat clean most of the time! I feel so much better,less bloat, clearer skin, better digestion when I stick with it
  • drags59
    drags59 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I participated in a workshop in Hawaii in 2009 and the onsite kitchen was organic and mostly vegetarian. After about a week of organic food, I noticed a difference in how I felt. I had also recently been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis and quickly discovered that finding the right thing to eat was like walking through a minefield. And that is what started me on my journey.

Since then, I have searched for recipes and a means to learn how to cook decently. Read this as I am a moron in the kitchen! I am not vegetarian and the disease would prevent me from doing so anyway as the roughage from all the veggies would do me in. So I shop organic as much as possible, meat is usually purchased from Whole foods or somewhere similar and I cook against my will.

I don't pay as much of a price anymore for the food I eat, for the most part I seem to crave salt over sweets. I have had a gastric bypass of sorts, had to make allowances for the UC and not rearrange my intestines with the surgery. Am now looking for support to lose the rest of the weight and stay healthy and exercising as I do so. I tend to have a one note palate as well and for the most part, I seem to be in the minority on that.

Other than my body having all the medical issues, I do not wish to ingest anymore of the chemicals that Monsanto seems to think is missing from my diet. I cannot cook for *kitten*, but I do can salsa's, pickles, relish and this year I plan on going whole hog on diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and anything else tomato related.

That's my story and I am sticking with it! Oh and my name is Cheryl....duh.
  • jahmanrv
    jahmanrv Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I started in October of 2014 when I was almost 200 pounds, and suffered Migraines almost everyday, and heartburn, and stomach issues. A friend of mine had started on the Whole30 book, and she gave me a copy. Read it through and followed it for the suggested 30 days. Not only did I lose weight, but I felt a hundred percent better. So I just keep on clean eating. Still feel fantastic and have now lost 30 pounds. I know longer feel like I'm dieting. This is just a way of life or a way to eat. First time I've ever felt like eating is easy. Added the gym and working out after y broken ankle healed, and that too has just become a routine and not a chore.