Carbs in vitamins!

Options
KarlaYP
KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
I have been taking Bariatric Advantage vitamins since my surgery in January. Shame on me for not noticing before! They have one carb in each capsule, and the dose is six a day!!! Just thought I would pass this along. I will be changing to a noncarb vitamin once I use these. That's half an avocado that I could have eaten! I assumed the BA vitamins were the best for us! Apparently NOT! You know what they say about assuming!

Replies

• april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I agree that it's super annoying how many carbs their vitamins have. Their calcium citrate chews that my surgeon's office put me on have TWENTY grams of carbs for the daily dose. Glorified candy. I think not.
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Yea, I started with those calcium chews too. Not any more though! I don't understand why they would do that to us!
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was noticing yesterday that almost 100 calories and 20 grams of carbs were coming from my supplements alone!
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    Revolt I say, lol! Wow CEK that's a lot! That's about what I stick to on total carbs for the day.
  • JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing everyone is on a low-carb diet that posted?

Just out of curiosity, how many carbs are you limiting yourselves to daily? And is this a short term program and you'll eventually increase the carbs or a diet you expect to stay on for the rest of your life?

When I met with my surgeon I asked him if I should stick to a certain amount of carbs. His recommendation was to get protein in first and just to stay away from the bad carbs (sugar, breads, white flour, etc) and not to worry too much about the carb count.

From everything I've read and seen low carb diets do seem to work at rapid weight loss. Everyone I've known personally that has done it has eventually gotten off it and gained weight back. It may be easier to stick to it for WLS folks though.
  • CEK0220
    CEK0220 Posts: 171 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    LOL Karlotta! I agree REVOLT! Seriously though, it is ridiculous. I am going to have to find some new supplements. What's so frustrating is that these are for bariatrics that I get from my surgeon's office. hmmmm

James, I have no answers for you since I am just about a week out further than you.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I eat as close to no carbs as possible. I eat meat/fish, dairy (not milk but cream, butter, and cheese), eggs, and green veggies for the most part; occasionally nuts and rarely berries or low carb treats but I'm cutting those out (causing cravings). Nope, I have no plans to increase the carbs ever as I've never felt better, it allows me to use my stomach restriction to it's maximum potential, manages my hunger, and I don't crave sweet things generally.

It's not conventional and it doesn't exactly follow my surgeon's/nutritionist's plan, but it works for me and is sustainable. You certainly don't have to eat like me to be successful, and I ate a bit more carbs (in the 60-80g range, partly because of those stupid vitamins!) in the beginning, but I feel better with less carbs.
  • LunaGuido
    LunaGuido Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Karlotta - if you switch to Bariatric Advantage's Ultra Multi Vitamin with Iron, you only have to take three. I think they're a newer product. They don't come up as anything in my food diary - no carbs or calories. (If you find out different, let me know -
  • Laurac727
    Laurac727 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Funny I just noticed this today also I am using the Celebrate brand but they said for only the first month, so next week is my one month check. I will definite be questioning that
  • KarlaYP
    Options
    I am following LC eating plan. I am happy with it. Wasn't losing much post op (since I am a revision, though I call it conversion) and the weight loss increased after watching the carbs closer. Just wasn't watching close enough after seeing this today. I never dreamed there would be carbs in bariatric vitamins!

I figure I will switch back to the Centrum Silver that I was taking pre op. I have a history of elevated iron so I take the multivitamin without iron.

Thank you ALL for your input, questions and concerns!