Ad Lib April {April 15th}

Options
FIT_Goat
FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
edited April 2015 in Social Groups
Link to original thread: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10124232/ad-libitum-april-challenge

On Wednesday the 15th, post your second week's information here.

Weight (or change)

Anything else you want to include.

{You can keep posting through the week, if you miss the 15th, obviously.}

Replies

• GrannyMayOz
    GrannyMayOz Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options
    OK, this feels really odd to be the first to post. Some people are never happy are they? LOL

Weight 83.8, up 300g from last week. Shame, because I was down to 83.3 on Thursday and Friday, but them's the breaks ;)

Had a great week and feeling *very* happy with not counting calories. My profile page did tell me, 6 out of the 7 days, that I was 'under goal' but I haven't cared, and haven't even worried about how much under I could be. I'm trusting my body to eat to satiety; no more and no less. This has not happened since I was 11 years old - the last time I was naturally slim. I no longer knew this was achievable without being anal about record keeping.

Got a fitbit this week and averaging around 6,000 steps a day and have just begun the 100 pushups challenge. First session tonight because I've only done the trial so far. Just wish there were some steps somewhere that I could climb, but Perth is known for being *flat* and almost all the homes are single storey, so distance/steps is all I can achieve unless I invest in a ladder ;)
  • FIT_Goat
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I was going to make a chart and post it along with this showing my scale weight, trend weight, weekly average, and a line for the starting weight. Why? Because I like charts and data. The problem is that everything is so closely clustered together at my level of loss/maintenance that it just looks like a bunch of straight lines. Maybe by next week it will be a little more interesting visually. If not then, possibly by the end of the month. The charts get pretty boring when you're not actively trying to lose weight.

Last week my trend was 70.9 kg. This week it's 70.8 kg. So, down about 0.1 kg this week and 0.3 kg since we started. This is a rate of about 0.15 kg/week or 0.33 lbs/week. It's slow, but that's something I have come to accept. It's not like I am still 40 kg overweight. Even if I stopped losing entirely, I wouldn't hate the weight I am at now.

My weekly average weight has changed even less. Starting at 70.97 kg, it is now around 70.73 kg. That's only a change of 0.24 kg over the two weeks. A rate of 0.12 kg/week or 0.26 lbs a week. Alright, it's not really that much off from the change in the trend weight. Neither of these are really off from my typical expectations either. I have been losing between a pound and two pounds a month (0.5-1 kg/month).

• wrkm2038
    wrkm2038 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    298 down
    1lb from last week. It is nice to see I have been stalled for several weeks on the scale. My measurements though are looking great and I am feeling fantastic.
  • ibetty55
    ibetty55 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    156.4 this morning. Down .2 for the week. Up .2 for the month so far. No big change. Staying well within my carb goals and feeling great.
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Down 0.4 from last week, down 1.8 overall for April. I was down quite a bit middle of the past week, but gained back Mon/Tues.

Over the weekend I had three "high" carb days (≤40g compared to what I consider my hard cap of 30g total), and that caught up with me. I'm back to ≤10g as of yesterday, though the weight is still climbing, possibly between the residual effect from the carbs combined with strength training yesterday, higher sodium, tons of water, plus looooads of fat at dinner last night. Though generally I'm less likely to blame that last part. ;)

Either way, it's good to be back on VLC. Deviled eggs for breakfast and lunch today, and Bubba Burgers for dinner tonight. I expect next week's check-in will have picked up the slack.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I am not in this challenge I feel the need to track and track accurately. Just weighing in to show what I am doing is working for me when several beat me up for the need to track my foods at another site. After a stall for THREE MONTHS and with no cheating during that 3 months and totally frustrated I moved to tracking at the new site for me. I am down 4.2 pounds since April 1, and holding that weight solid. If I bounced at all during this time it was 2 or 4 tenths of a pound and generally trending down. Over all since I moved to tracking at the other site, March 14, which I feel gives more accurate results I have dropped 8 pounds.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Initial weight: 164.8
    Week 1 weight (April 8): 166.4
    Week 2 weight (April 15): 165.4
    Total loss: +0.6lb

Again, nothing to report on the evil scale. This is still nothing out of the ordinary for me at this point. However, I measured this morning. I've lost 2 inches on my measurements since last Monday. This does not include the 2nd limb. So if I wanted to add the measurements on the 2nd arm and thigh, then it would be higher.

So, no scale progress, but smaller waist, hips, and thighs trump that nonsense, I think. Within the next week and a half, I predict there will be scale movement. Just how much and when I can't say. I know for certain I'm retaining DOMS water weight. So sore. Ugh. Jillian Michaels might make my heart gargle in my throat, but my muscles have lost strength since I replaced my dumbbell slinging with the 30 Day Shred. Pffft on that. I prefer my weights. *flex*

Carbs have stayed at or below 20g net with many days under 20g total.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Starting: 219
    Today: 216.6 (-2.4...didn't report last week, but was down a pound from start then)

Pushing boundaries w/ my "under 20 total" carbs (exceeded a few times), but eating to satiation. A couple of days the calories have been way up there for me, but trying to focus only on carb grams. Overall, I feel really good. Have validated for myself that low carb desserts are kind of a slippery slope for me. Made a cheesecake this month, just to test the recipe, and found myself dealing w/ binging mentality, as in, physically satisfied w/ one serving but my mouth and brain wanted more. Will be saving that kind of food for special occasions ONLY from here on out. I plan on analyzing results at challenge's end comparing this month to last, just to see how leaving overall calorie counting out of the equation has helped/hindered/not affected my losses.

Hope everyone else is finding some positive results by focusing on their body's hunger cues and not on a hard and fast calorie limit!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Carb Goal: Zero Carb
    Starting Weight: just started Monday 4/13 181.7
    Current Weight Wed 4/15: 180.4
    body fat from 33.6 to 33.3 based on digital scale

-1.3 pounds and .3% body fat

i was {struggling} LCHF before switching to zero carb so i can't say if this is "water" or not and don't really care B) hehe It's really, really enjoyable not counting everyting i eat. It's slightly angst producing but any new habit is, right?
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Weight:
    4/2/2015 247.6 pounds / 112.55 kg
    4/8/2015 242.8 pounds / 110.36 kg
    4/15/2015 247.6 pounds / 112.55 kg

Yesterday I was at 243.6 pounds, so today is some annoying water weight due to several factors. That being said, I can't recall if it was 247.2, 247.4, or 247.6 because I didn't record until I was at work...

Either way, I don't know if it is my scale or my body, but I definitely tend to repeat weights. I counted something up last week, and 13 out of the previous 19 days I counted, I'd been at 242.8... How random, right?

Anyway, I only loosely counted carbs last week, so I'm trying to accurately count the carbs and go from there. Started physical therapy, and in hell at the moment, so today, and this week is just focusing on basics. I really out to bust out the keto-meter I have to see what's what...
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    4/1 weight: 250.2
    4/8 weight: 248.0 (-2.2)
    4/15 weight: 247.6 (-2.6 total, -0.4 last week)

So after 1 week I posted that I was 100% sure the number was BS and a one day blip b/c of a crazy up and down week. But I actually did start doing better this week with some of my goals to eat out less and to splurge a bit less. I'm thrilled w/ the number at the moment, and it does feel like things have "Stabalized" compared to what I reported after week 1.

Today was root canal day, we'll see how that stress, and potential mouth pain/issues impact the next few days. I've also not been going to the gym very much lately due to a knee thing and physical therapy associated with the knee thing. This week and next week signal a return to more intense exercise, which seems to always mess with the scale as well, so I'll be curious what happens by next weeks' check-in.
  • radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    4/15/2015 247.6
    radiii wrote: »
    4/15 weight: 247.6

Well then! :)

• RATSMITH69
    RATSMITH69 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    4/1 190.2
    4/8 190.2
    4/15 184.0

Only watching carbs, shooting for less than 20g/day but usually (except for Easter) around 10 to 12.

As I said before I don't do hungry so I just eat when I feel like it. I'm wondering if this WOE will "fix" my 'hungry" signals....
  • panda4153
    panda4153 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    4/1 163.8
    4/8 164
    4/15 163

I have stayed under my 40 Net Carbs a day this whole week :) I have my calories set to maintenance but I have gone over on most days. If I am hungry I eat, so far the scale is moving down, so as long as that keeps happening, I am happy.
  • Sajyana
    Sajyana Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I'll skip this week. I'm still away from home.

It's been either zero carb days or 50 carb days. :) I'm ok with that. There have been a couple of birthdays and we've eaten out a lot. I'm way out of any sort of routine and it's been easier to cope with than I had imagined. 50 carbs is still quite low but rather high for me. I'll be home Saturday night and back on the zero carb wagon.

It seems that so far most people are coping with not counting calories. I'm doing ok with it. I'm not overeating or gorging myself. Actually, I'm finding that I listen more closely to my body. Yesterday I had hardly anything and didn't eat at all until about 2pm whereas the day before I had 4 meals! ;) Hungry one day, not hungry the next.

I've also been a lot more active. Being out and about visiting people and doing a few things for Mum (she had a knee replacement a few weeks ago) is keeping me super busy and at the end of the day I've been exhausted. I'll need to have a holiday when I get home. :smiley:
  • robert65ferguson
    robert65ferguson Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    1/4/15 203.8; 8/4/15 202.5; 15/4/15 203.9

Change since last check in day +1.4lbs
    Change since 1/4/15 +0.1lbs

A disappointing and frustrating week with weight gain almost every day. I appear to lose and gain the same few pounds. Only missed my carb target on one day. Methinks I may be the exception to the rule. I will stick it out to the end dv.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I played around with the y-axis and made the lines more visible. The below is my weight (starting with the week leading up to the challenge and through today). The weekly average (yellow) is not a moving average. So, it jumps to the next value and stays the same the whole week. The green line represents my official trend weight at the start. The red line is my trend weight. That's the most obvious one that's moving down. The blue represents my daily weights.

6wnavh4k4krv.png
  • wabmester
    wabmester Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    4/1: 196.6 lbs
    4/8: 198
    4/15: 197

Pretty stable, which is good to know for maintenance purposes. Still counting nothing. Still moderately low carb -- probably around 100g. Ketostix still showing some excreted ketones, so it's safe to assume my brain is running on mixed fuel.
  • stillonamission
    stillonamission Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    4/1 --142.4#
    4/8 -- 143.8#
    4/55 -- 145.5#
    Loss -- +3.1#

I know my issues... they have yet to be resolved!
  • Liftin4food
    Liftin4food Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I know I'm a day late to check in - but I've delayed posting this until I made the decision on whether to pull out of the challenge or not.

1/4 - 13st 10
    8/4 - 14st
    15/4 - 14st
    gained 4lbs. My waist measurement has stayed the same. I weigh daily and my weight has stayed at 14st since 4/4 +/- 0.5lb. Before this I was losing consistently.

I know it's only been 2 weeks - and maybe if I stayed with it for a bit longer I would see the same sort of results that some of you are getting. But what I'm seeing above says to me that eating til without tracking calories has me at maintenance. (I've gone back over the last couple of days and logged what I ate and the numbers coming back to me say the same).

So I'm pulling out of this challenge. I'm still in the obese category weight wise - and once I get myself out of that I may well consider giving it another shot. I like the idea of ignoring calories and being able to eat to hunger and still lose :)

The last 2 weeks have been useful though - I've freaked out, I've pulled it together and I've given it a go. And hopefully if nothing else I've found a good strategy for maintaining my weight when I eventually get to the point where that's my goal!