Testers for a simple TDEE calc

Options
2»

Replies

• Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    Yes, thank you @Heybales for doing this! I ran the numbers again with the SAHM level and got 2059 for my TDEE. I've been hovering right around 2000 for almost a week now and have been maintaining my weight. Almost no fluctuation save for being down .5lb one day. I'd say this is pretty accurate for me! When I start my cut I may stick to the 10% cut because I love eating and lifting more!
  • walleyeten
    walleyeten Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Alright Heybales, back to stats,

Your EM2WL TDEE and Deficit Eating calculator seems to be right on but to note if I change the Scooby Workshop from 3-5 hrs/wk moderate to 1-3 hrs/wk light, I get in the same ballpark.

Weight loss journey, TDEE at 3443 so for 9 days averaged 2887 cal intake, was set at 2950 which is - 15% deficit but couple times I ate out and can't believe some of those calorie estimates for restaurants. Weight went from 297 to 292.8 but this morning was 294 but I'm not worried (yet)!

Final Note: Vivofit average per day at 3542, I noticed when on treadmill vivofit (VF) for short - walking with HRM digits move between 8-13 per min. if at 82-85% of HR, Sedentary 2 per min. Sleeping 1.12 per min.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Curious, does Vivofit have means of changing the HRM info for HRmax or VO2max?

I'm sure you could change height so it's sleeping calorie burn better matched a better BMR estimate if not close enough.
    But that sure sounds like their TDEE is close to your tested.

Restaurants are tough, if they even give figures to use, and if you trust they are close.
  • walleyeten
    Options
    They have Heart Rate zones which I checked and are right on, my only input required was my resting heart rate zones 1 thru 5. They have height adjustments along with an Activity Class Chart: which I have set on number 7 for 3 to 7 hours of exercise. Yes they have VO2max for running and cycling, In the cycling part they use watts from 100 to 800 watts or in a percentage called "Functional Threshold Power"
  • heybales
    Options
    Ahhh, they are still using that method then to estimate VO2max.
    Self-selected exercise level and BMI, Polar uses the same thing but includes the resting HR in the calc, wonder if Garmin has changed to their method now.
    Both methods were studies.

The other Garmin devices they stopped using the chart and you selecting your level, and the device just compiles your workout time and frequency and decides which level you are at. Which isn't very fair when it's not used for all workouts.
    Love the data available with the Garmins.

That big spreadsheet you used, has a Garmin tab getting in to that method used. You can see what VO2max they are likely using if curious.
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Many thanks for doing this, first off.

Next, the calculated TDEE is 3179.

My eating TDEE from past 6-8 weeks has been from 2900 - 3100 so very close in my opinion. I actually plan on bulking soon and I think I'm going to use your calculator to find a 5-10% surplus.

All of my activity numbers come from total workout times recorded by my Polar Loop + H7 HRM. My typical workout 3 time/week consist of
    5 min jump rope interval w/u
    90 min of lifting
    3 w/u sets with short rest
    3 top sets with 2-3 min rest
    12 sets of accessory work with minimal rest
    20-30 min of yoga for cool down

r9vvz2bmlhqd.jpg
  • walleyeten
    Options
    Ok, yeah I saw that program as well, well I set it up, synced it up with VF and gonna go use it right now. I'll give ya some feedback on that, I used the Firstbeat method cause I wanted to get taller by 1 inch (not). Keep up the good work.
  • heybales
    Options
    Many thanks for doing this, first off.

Next, the calculated TDEE is 3179.

My eating TDEE from past 6-8 weeks has been from 2900 - 3100 so very close in my opinion. I actually plan on bulking soon and I think I'm going to use your calculator to find a 5-10% surplus.

All of my activity numbers come from total workout times recorded by my Polar Loop + H7 HRM. My typical workout 3 time/week consist of
    5 min jump rope interval w/u
    90 min of lifting
    3 w/u sets with short rest
    3 top sets with 2-3 min rest
    12 sets of accessory work with minimal rest
    20-30 min of yoga for cool down

r9vvz2bmlhqd.jpg

That's a good range of stuff that seems to have still been accounted for decently.
    I do know my bigger spreadsheet has a line for like yoga and slow walking, because that's not really accounted for in this simple one, but if you actually did a lot of it weekly and didn't account for it compared to more intense workouts, TDEE would be estimated on low side.

Wondering if I should throw that back in for folks not doing more intense workouts, but lots of low-key stuff?
    Hmmmmm......
  • walleyeten
    Options
    Walked on the treadmill this morn, Garmin says walked 2.6 mph, I set it to 2.5 for warm up and then to 3.0 for the work out but to change HR, just change incline levels.
    As I quoted on April 22nd:
    " VF average per day at 3542, I noticed when on treadmill VF - walking with HRM digits move between 8-13 per min. if at 82-85% of HR, Sedentary 2 per min. Sleeping 1.12 per min. "

With inputting the V :D 2max and height adjustment:

HR VF/Min
    120 * 14
    137 * 16-19
    146 * 20

Right now VF is gonna give me a 3242 TDEE for the day, instead of that 3542 avg. number. All I'm doing is hanging crown molding right now so doubt it's gonna go any higher unless I take another walk.
    Will check it out for another week and give you some more info.
    Question
    1) What if I lower that V B) 2max number?
    2) I googled it, how come googled isn't a word yet? anyway read about oxygen intake.
    I appreciate your input, Thanks
  • XavierNusum
    XavierNusum Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    @heybales
    That's an interesting thought. Still it's way close enough for me! Great job and thanks again.
  • heybales
    Options
    walleyeten wrote: »
    Walked on the treadmill this morn, Garmin says walked 2.6 mph, I set it to 2.5 for warm up and then to 3.0 for the work out but to change HR, just change incline levels.
    As I quoted on April 22nd:
    " VF average per day at 3542, I noticed when on treadmill VF - walking with HRM digits move between 8-13 per min. if at 82-85% of HR, Sedentary 2 per min. Sleeping 1.12 per min. "

With inputting the V :D 2max and height adjustment:

HR VF/Min
    120 * 14
    137 * 16-19
    146 * 20

Right now VF is gonna give me a 3242 TDEE for the day, instead of that 3542 avg. number. All I'm doing is hanging crown molding right now so doubt it's gonna go any higher unless I take another walk.
    Will check it out for another week and give you some more info.
    Question
    1) What if I lower that V B) 2max number?
    2) I googled it, how come googled isn't a word yet? anyway read about oxygen intake.
    I appreciate your input, Thanks

Wow, you can change the VO2max, nice.
    But, if you can indeed do that in the stats, you don't need to do the height adjustment. The height is a workaround when there is no stat to change.

If you can indeed enter your own VO2max stat, the study on the HRM tab is actually newer and found to be better than what Garmin uses. Polar uses it, and it uses your resting HR too, since HRmax may be an estimate.

All you are doing is crown molding!
    Aren't you up the ladder, then down, cut a little, back up, back down, trim a little more, back up, shake fist at molding, back down.....

1 - if you lower the VO2max, it'll see the same HR as burning less calories.